• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Metafictional Elements in Plot Manipulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmortalDread

Call me Dread
Username Only
VS Battles
Retired

Metafictional elements/terms Explanation should be added​

The premise of the thread is to add some policies regarding plot manipulation and also to clear some misconceptions regarding it. I would also like to add “Metafiction” section in the ability page.

I have created this sandbox and added metafictional elements/terms. Any input is exceedingly appreciated.

For plot manipulation, a note in plot manipulation should be added regarding this suggestion, which is at bottom (like this):
Note: it should be noted that to qualify for plot manipulation, you need some characteristics for metafictional elements.

Metafiction sandbox Logs during the staff thread:
  • Added two notes in the metafiction sandbox about “Book” and “Speech bubbles” as both of them are controversial terms and can be confused depends on the context.
  • Added a note about the difference between metafictional term and metafictional element, as many members are confused and misuse the terms.

Last edited:
This seems like it takes something intuitively clear and working and turns it very complicated.
At the same time, it seems simultaneously too general and too restrictive.
On one hand, plot manipulation could be showcased any number of ways and I think hanging to a number of possible demonstrations like that rather restrictive.
On the other hand, some of these critera seem too general or even unrelated. For instance "A story that challenges or plays with traditional narrative conventions". That a story is unconventional seems to me to neither support nor even relate to whether a character has plot manipulation.

The line can be removed. Hence, I would like to hear which of the examples fits the system or not.
Also, I would not really interpret it as “restrictive”. An explanation of metafictional elements is required because as far as I tell, anyone can say what is allowed and what is not without any standards in the game.

The line is removed from both sandboxes.
On one hand, plot manipulation could be showcased any number of ways and I think hanging to a number of possible demonstrations like that rather restrictive.
Mind explaining this part, so I can imagine how it would look like and work on it?

Regardless of this, many CRTs has been created and got rejected because of lack of metafictional elements, but rarely anyone has any evidence or standards which one is metafictional element or not. Therefore, I created this sandbox and thread for this matter.

Therefore, I created this thread because many and if not, a lot of members has been asking what is metafictional element and what is not. Many staff members have been rejecting many threads without any evidence based on it, and it is because it is “common sense”.

Consequently, I decided to create a staff thread and re-create the plot manipulation or add a new page regarding this.

PS: I added this currently.

Last edited:
Alright, regarding the plot manipulation sandbox, I removed the suggested text
and moved it to the sandbox as it is extremely long, and it should be created preferably in a new page.

I updated OP and a note should be added once the thread is accepted.

Also, I added two notes in this sandbox about “books” and “speech bubbles”, unless there are any controversial terms, please drop them.
I also added a short note about the difference between metafictional term and metafictional element because I often saw many members confuse between both extremely.

Last edited:
I'm also neutral, but I think a metafiction page should probably be added, so that there is an explanation of the concept of metafiction itself, because as far as I know, many crt are rejected for metafiction reasons.

And I would also like to ask a question in the metafictional elements section.

Why is it almost the same?
  • A story that incorporates elements of the author's own life or the process of writing the story into the narrative.
  • A story that incorporates elements of the author's own life or the process of writing the story into the narrative, blurring the line between fiction and autobiography.

I'm also neutral, but I think a metafiction page should probably be added, so that there is an explanation of the concept of metafiction itself, because as far as I know, many crt are rejected for metafiction reasons.
Wouldn't it be better if we just link to the following information page regarding metafiction within our plot manipulation page instead?

Wouldn't it be better if we just link to the following information page regarding metafiction within our plot manipulation page instead?

Not sure, but it is better if we provide a summary of the metafiction itself within the page, so that it is easier to understand.

But I will wait for responses from other staffs.

Well, maybe we could include a brief summary explanation, combined with a "for further information, click here" link?

Hey, sorry, I was asleep. I don't think I possibly saw any website that states any metafictional terms or descriptions as I did because I needed 3 hours to 4 hours to research as well as writing them all in a formal and professional language.

Either way, I have seen the misconception about metafictional elements a lot, and they get it confused with metafictional terms.
Why is it almost the same?
  • A story that incorporates elements of the author's own life or the process of writing the story into the narrative.
  • A story that incorporates elements of the author's own life or the process of writing the story into the narrative, blurring the line between fiction and autobiography.
Thanks for pointing out, I will remove the line. I could be possibly adding duplicated lines accidentally.

Last edited:
Well, linking to a highly reputable genuinely academic encyclopaedia, such as that of Oxford, likely wouldn't hurt, but TV Tropes is obviously not remotely reliable in the same manner.

Anyway, what are our current staff conclusions here?

Well, linking to a highly reputable genuinely academic encyclopaedia, such as that of Oxford, likely wouldn't hurt, but TV Tropes is obviously not remotely reliable in the same manner.
Agreed with this. I mean, I don't mind being linked there, but there are some notes should be added in plot manipulation and those notes should be highly clearing the misconceptions of the ability. I will think of those notes with one staff member privately!

But I understand the concerns!

This seems like it takes something intuitively clear and working and turns it very complicated.
At the same time, it seems simultaneously too general and too restrictive.
On the other hand, some of these critera seem too general or even unrelated. For instance "A story that challenges or plays with traditional narrative conventions". That a story is unconventional seems to me to neither support nor even relate to whether a character has plot manipulation.
It seems like DontTalk rejected these suggestions earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back