• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Melting a tree to ash

Uhm. I think the calculation is pretty simple, you need these things:

.Volume of the tree

.What wood the tree is made of

.The leaves of the tree are almost impossible to add on so I would ignore it

Lets say your talking about a large black oak tree, I used this calculator and got 60900 cm^3

Pulverisation of black oak = 44.9538 J/cc

60900 x 44 = 2.6 megajoules

I think this is how you would go about it. I may be wrong though

.Volume of the tree

Lets say your talking about a large black oak tree, I used this calculator and got 60900 cm^3

Its most likely better than anything i could do

You can't melt a tree bro, it's carbon, it skips the liquid stage straight into ash.

.Volume of the tree

Yeah this is wrong, turning to ash explicitly requires heat AKA you'd need latent heat and specific heat capacity for this, not pulverization.

You can't melt a tree bro, it's carbon, it skips the liquid stage straight into ash.

Yeah this is wrong, turning to ash explicitly requires heat AKA you'd need latent heat and specific heat capacity for this.
I have trauma from specific heat capacity calculations ):

Yeah this is wrong, turning to ash explicitly requires heat AKA you'd need latent heat and specific heat capacity for this, not pulverization.

Thats talking about vaporization which is turning something in to nothing but vapor which is not the same as turning something in to dust.

Thats talking about vaporization which is turning something in to nothing but vapor which is not the same as turning something in to dust.
Just find the temperature required to reach char and swap it in with the vaporizing temperature. Problem solved.

I've always used energy density for burning trees to ashes.
Reducing it to char is moreso turning it into charcoal instead of complete ash, which takes WAY less energy to do.

Since charcoal has a lot more available energy to give than ash, which has next to nothing; you can use charcoal as fuel pretty damn easily...but using ash as a fuel source? That's not gonna happen that easily.
Char and ash, are completely different things. You cannot use "charring" as the same thing as reducing something to ash.

So to "reduce it to ash", you must expend all (or nearly all) available energy in the substance itself that it can give rather than reducing it to char (which still has quite a large amount of energy left to give). And not to mention...what do you get when you burn charcoal? You get ash.

Now yes, energy density does vary depending on the wood type. It ALSO depends on if it is green (alive or recently cut), air-seasoned wood, or kiln-dried wood.

But there is an approximate energy density for most wood that I found on a Canadian website about wood heating:
Green: 10 MJ/kg
Air-Seasoned: 16 MJ/kg
Kiln-Dried: 19-20 MJ/kg

As an example:
Lets assume a live, 10-ton tree.
We would use green wood as it is alive.
10,000 kg x 10 MJ/kg = ~100,000,000,000 joules of energy the tree has available.
Which is around 23.9 tons of TNT's worth (8-B)

But unless you reduce it to ashes in a literal second, you would not scale to the entire available energy;
Say it took 10 seconds to reduce it to ashes, you would then scale to a 1/10 of that value; 2.39 tons of TNT, or a bit over baseline High 8-C.

Last edited:
BTW, this should also apply to cremation as well.
As cremation turns a body into ash as well. Not just merely charring their body.
As again...char and ash? Completely different things. "Reducing to ash" is a level beyond merely charring.

Last edited:
A
I've always used energy density for burning trees to ashes.
Reducing it to char is moreso turning it into charcoal instead of complete ash, which takes WAY less energy to do.

Since charcoal has a lot more available energy to give than ash, which has next to nothing; you can use charcoal as fuel pretty damn easily...but using ash as a fuel source? That's not gonna happen that easily.
Char and ash, are completely different things. You cannot use "charring" as the same thing as reducing something to ash.

So to "reduce it to ash", you must expend all (or nearly all) available energy in the substance itself that it can give rather than reducing it to char (which still has quite a large amount of energy left to give). And not to mention...what do you get when you burn charcoal? You get ash.

Now yes, energy density does vary depending on the wood type. It ALSO depends on if it is green (alive or recently cut), air-seasoned wood, or kiln-dried wood.

But there is an approximate energy density for most wood that I found on a Canadian website about wood heating:
Green: 10 MJ/kg
Air-Seasoned: 16 MJ/kg
Kiln-Dried: 19-20 MJ/kg

As an example:
Lets assume a live, 10-ton tree.
We would use green wood as it is alive.
10,000 kg x 10 MJ/kg = ~100,000,000,000 joules of energy the tree has available.
Which is around 23.9 tons of TNT's worth (8-B)

But unless you reduce it to ashes in a literal second, you would not scale to the entire available energy;
Say it took 10 seconds to reduce it to ashes, you would then scale to a 1/10 of that value; 2.39 tons of TNT, or a bit over baseline High 8-C.
Alright cool thanks btw if someone fires 5 Blast each blast turns a tree into ash and another character punches is equal to the combined power of those blast he would have 5 times the power of a blast right?

A

Alright cool thanks btw if someone fires 5 Blast each blast turns a tree into ash and another character punches is equal to the combined power of those blast he would have 5 times the power of a blast right?
Yes, if the punch is stated to have the combined total of five blasts.

Back