• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Master Chief vs Alex Mercer.

XSOULOFCINDERX

They/Them
Both at their best and both have Prior Knowledge.

Master Chief has all of his gear, including Forerunner Weaponry.

Speed Equalized and Chief is 30 feet outside of Mercer's Range, but otherwise SBA.

Chief:

Mercer:2

Incon:

It's not a stomp Considering Chief just needs to hit him once with a Scattershot, Binary Rifle, Incineration Cannon or Pulse Grenade.

Also the suit has a pretty decent oxygen supply iirc

I feel this depends on how quickly John goes into using Prometheus tech

Oh if Chief has knowledge then he's probably using the Promethean tech or the heavy weapons

Especially since he's fought enemies conventional weapons are relatively weak too (The Flood)

The issue is Mercer will probably know what Chief is bringing to the table so I'm unsure

That was the point. I wanted a Fair Fight for Mercer, so he needed someone who could actually kill him fast, but I also wanted him to be aware of the fact that if he ***** up, he dies.

I know

I'm saying it seems like a who shoots first thing

If Alex gets up close he stomps but if Chief can get the shots off fast enough he could do it

I confess I lean closer to mercer tho

em the air tight suit is not going to stop a virus that can infect on a malecular level that can also infect inorganic things

since both of them have prior knowladge mercer would also avoid cheifs heavy weapons like the plauge and try to get in close as fast as possible

i give is to mercer 8/10 times mid diff

Eh, leaning towards Mercer FRA I guess.

Also, Mercer's shapeshifting would be useful here as his skill of using shapeshifting to disguise as his victims is such that it can even trick those that are knowledgeable of his Shapeshifting (such as Blackwatch soldiers, where they repeatedly don't know who is and isn't Mercer despite being aware of his ability to shapeshift into others), which Mercer can take advantage of by using his shapeshifting to psychologically mess around with MC and get closer to him for the kill, so there's that.

Unless Cortana has some special mechanic for her to distinguish life signs, I don't think that is enough for her to be able to detect a being who can mimic and become their victim in every way down to the genetic level. Unless Cortana's life sensing can detect life right down to stuff smaller than individual genes/cells or can detect beings capable of such (Mercer is also capable of replicating all of the target's clothes and equipment on them as well), I don't think she would be able to help Chief in that regard, but alright then.

With SBA location and Mercer's own prior knowledge, nothing is stopping Mercer from just going out of Chief's sight and then consuming a random civilian and disguising as them while remaining out of his sight. Literally the whole premise of Prototype 1 is about hiding out of sight and then Shapeshifting into someone else to evade being tracked down by a influential military-like organisation once they have caught up.

Mercer's Shapeshifting tactics has consistently been shown to fool even those that are knowledgeable of Mercer's abilities, such as with Blackwatch time and time again, in the Prototype narrative/lore. I doubt Chief being knowledgeable of Mercer's abilities would stop Mercer from psychologically screwing him over with shapeshifting, which would eventually allow Mercer to get into the range needed to end the fight.

I'm not so sure about that. If Chief knew Mercer could do that I feel like he wouldn't hesitate to put a bullet into someone running towards him. As much as he would try to avoid taking civilian casualties, I feel like he would rather do that than let something as crazy as Mercer exist any longer. Especially since Mercer would probably remind him of the Flood but much worse.

Mercer wouldn't need to run towards him. He literally gains all the memories and skills of his targets, which means he can act perfectly like them and remain conspicuous. All he needs to do is get within range and then gas (that also reminds me of the fact that Mercer could summon Blacklight infected to distract Chief).

The fact that Chief wants to avoid taking civilian casualties would mean that he would not randomly shoot at any civilian near him unless he's absolutely certain that they are Mercer... Which I doubt he would ever be absolutely certain of, given even Blackwatch aren't absolutely certain of who he is Shapeshifting into.

In Prototype 1, Blackwatch doesn't care about civilian casualties and some of the Blackwatch soldiers even enjoys gunning down helpless civilians, and yet even they got fooled by Mercer's disguise tactics.

Speaking of Gas, doesn't he need to sit there for a couple seconds to actually unleash it, sorta like a Devastator?

Not really sure, it could be cinematic effects for all we know. When James Heller consumed Mercer, he unleashed the Tendril Barrage Devastator he gained from Mercer (I'm pretty sure it was the Tendril Barrage Devastator anyways, since it looks extremely similar to Alex's Tendril Barrage Devastator in Prototype 1, but formed on a larger scale), and the only indication that Heller was even trying to perform a Devastator is some vague grunting before he did it. Heller didn't even sprout tendrils around his body or anything to indicate that he is performing that Devastator (like how Devastators are performed in the game in general), yet he performed it anyway.

But even assuming it takes a couple of seconds, it would only take a few seconds at worst, and I doubt Chief would be able to see Mercer and take him out in time before the gasses clouds his vision and screws him over.

OK, fair enough. My final question now is how high does the cloud of gas get? Because Chief does have a Jetpack, plus he can jump pretty high already. Does Lifting Strength help Jumping?

I don't know how high it gets since the cutscenes doesn't have the camera angles to show the full aftermath, but it should naturally reach as high as other gasses such as smoke does in the air, so it should likely just disperse everywhere into the atmosphere within that vicinity. I'm not sure if LS helps with jumping, but I think this site doesn't have any values to estimate how high one can jump.

That's probably just for cinematic effects. The gasses Mercer unleashed literally caused an outbreak with similar impact to the outbreak from Prototype 1 (the outbreak from Prototype 1 eventually caused 81% of the Manhattan population to get infected), so the gasses logically dispersing into the atmosphere and infecting many people should make sense.

What's the AP? Because if the gasses take time spread and would take time to kill Chief than who would be able to kill who quicker?

Those gasses has gotten the entire population in the Penn Station infected at the very moment it was unleashed via spreading to the entire Penn Station, so they actually spread practically instantly in the distance of Penn Station, which was estimated to be around 200 meters from what I can recall. So if Mercer gasses within range, those gasses should instantly cover distances of those range. The moment any traces of these gasses makes contact with Chief, he gets infected very quickly. It takes only a few seconds for the Blacklight Virus to spread to the target's entire molecules and have them become a mindless infected under Mercer's control.

AP doesn't matter in this fight because of Mercer's Regenerationn and hax, so it's just a matter of who can unleash their hax faster.

I'm unsure how to proceed with this considering my knowledge of Alex is limited.

One thing I will say upfront is that Promethean Weaponry is MC's only wincon.

He can absorb Non-Organic material, but I'm not sure if he can absorb a physical field of pure energy.

Unless his Energy shield is Airtight just like his armor, it's probably not stopping the gas. He more than likely can't straight up consume the shield though.

I think the Master Chief wins due to forerunner weapons, Cortana is capable of detecting things in a very wide range and having prior knowledge the boss will be extremely cautious and will keep his distance.

Back