• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mass Effect Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogbunabali

VS Battles
Retired
Well since the Mass Effect profiles were in a very sad shape, I decided to clean them up as much as I can (though I didn't touch Andromeda as I haven't played the game or read the novels yet). There were a lot of weird scaling and tiering things going on, that I removed most of. Since there's a lot of profiles and a lot of changes made, I'll be covering the big changes I made since going through every little thing would take way too long. You can check all of them in this sandbox I made

Biotic Tiering/Abilities​

First to tackle the most wacky one. Removed, pretty much everything connected to biotics in the profiles.
  1. First of is the 8-B rating. Ignoring it was given to a lot of characters that shouldn't have it for no reason, it's also listed as 8-B with the only justification being a link to a thread from 2016, which gave little to no clear justification as to why.
  2. Next is the High 7-C, which is the a pretty big offender here.
    • First justification comes from a comment made by one of the devs. That you could use Stasis (a paralysis biotic power) on every enemy in the game, which is fine and all but assuming this casually applies to the Human Reaper is contradictory to pretty much the whole meaning of the game both in verse and meta. If any random biotic user could freeze Reapers.... well let's just say they would never have been even close to becoming a threat in the first place. On top of that, scaling Stasis, or pretty much any non specifically offensive biotic ability, to AP is fundamentally flawed because it's not AP and it can't be correlated to AP in any way. All Stasis (pretty much all biotic abilities) does is that it increases the overall mass of the subject and makes it weight more so they can't move under that weight. This is just density manipulation, and doesn't translate into KE/AP in any way, nor does it scale to any other biotic ability in any way either.
    • Second justification is that a biotic was able to form a forcefield to protect from missiles. Those explosions are just 9-B, so no idea why it's there, plus that's a durability feat for the biotic barriers, not even AP.
    • And the last one, which is the worst one, is another forcefield feat. Well to start off, even if this feat were legit, there's never been any biotic feat coming even close to the creation of something this big, so this feat wouldn't even scale to anyone besides these two characters in the first place. Second of all, they don't particularity block anything in the first place, the explosions look deceivingly big, you can see how small their initial "bubble" was in the first 2 explosions and compare them. Most of the missiles aren't even tanked by the forcefield they are actually just bouncing them back, and hitting the other ship. Which after being hit by multiple of it's own missiles, goes into a chain reaction type explosions, and finally into a big explosions, which then this "self destruction", which doesn't even scale to its own missiles that hit it, is being scaled to High 7-C for all biotics. I don't think I even need to explain, why this shouldn't exist.
  3. They are also rated as Class 100+ Lifting Strength via lifting a Geth Colossus. Which would be fine if they were actually lifting it, but they aren't. All they're doing is reducing it's mass so they effectively just "float up" via being too light, not lifted via classical telekinesis with their original weight. I just removed all the lifting strength with biotics.
  4. And I removed/reorganized a lot of the biotic hax that shouldn't be there or was missing from the profiles. As I said listing them all for all ~30 profiles is way too much, so you can check my sandbox for all the details. But most of them are very minor, like Density/Energy Manipulation (due to biotics being able to control mass via dark energy), Paralysis Inducement, etc.
  5. The new biotic tier should be High 8-C via a Jack feat of making a huge whole in the wall.

Physical Statistics Reorganization​

1. Removed the 8-A rating from the Human-Reaper profile, due to using the previously mentioned Stasis calc that gets the KE for the Human Reaper, via it's giant size by the looks of it, and we have had giant revisions that no longer allow things like that. So it'd needs to be either recalced or reviewed by one of our calc group members.
  2. Praetorian's durability downgraded to 8-B to scale to it's physical AP and no longer having 8-A tiers anywhere. Gave it a physical tier as well because it's only 8-A via it's energy attack.
  3. Removed Class 10 Lifting Strength from most profiles because it was scaling from the Shadow Broker, But the problem is there isn't any reason to scale Lifting Strength to anyone besides himself, because as you can see in their fight, Shepard only punches him in melee. That's all their physical confrontation, they never wrestle or something so you can argue Lifting Strength scaling.
  4. New Lifting Strength should be Peak Human due to Shepard casually moving a pretty big metal beam.
  5. Leviathan should be changed to Unknown because we never see them preform any "attacks". Even though the Reapers are based on the Leviathans, the Reapers get their AP via their laser canons that the Leviathans don't have. The way a Leviathan was able to "kill" a Reaper wasn't through AP but rather through a telekinetic/telepathic EMP burst type of hax. They should still retain their durability as Harbringer was able to tank a whole fleet assault without issue.
  6. Removal of 8-B rating from characters that don't have granades/high explosive rounds.
  7. Properly linking calc for kinetic barriers and not biotic ones.

Miscellaneous​

1. Removal of the note on Commander Shepard's page that mentions you can use a Composite Shepard, for obvious reasons. Also removal of the High 7-C biotic AP for the ship destruction, because it even the profile itself acknowledges that scaling to that is whack, but does it anyway for some reason.
  2. Added various missing abilities for all of them from having them as a species, like Information Analysis for Shadow Broker, and from their equipment/weapons. Most of them are generic ones like Fire/Electricity Manipulation, or Illusion Creation, etc.
  3. I also made a civilization profile for the Reapers. And so I propose to delete the Harbringer profile due to a civilization profile being much more suited for them. They appear all at once as an invasion force, almost never alone, every cycle to wipe the galaxy and start a new one. Having individual profiles is really unnecessary.
  4. I also propose to delete the other vehicle/weapon profiles as well.
    • The Crucible (Mass Effect) can't even attack, if it stays it should have it's tiering removed. It has a 4-A rating due to "destroying portions of the Milky Way Galaxy" which is out right false. All it does is either send an emp like shockwave that disables synthetic life, merges them with people, or controls them. You can watch all the endings yourselves. You can see that nothing is ever destroyed or that nothing of it is used in an "offensive" way.
    • Mass Relay (Mass Effect), I have no clue why is there a page for this. It's just a device used to FTL travel around the galaxy, that's it. Also it's 4-B rating is a joke. It gets it because a big asteroid crashes into it and destroys it and it explodes. And that scales to AP... how?
    • X3M is just a car. That's it. A car. It flies, but that's about it. I really don't see a reason why this should be a profile.
    • Everest-class Dreadnought is kinda cool I guess. But it's just a giant space ship with nothing special to it. I guess it's ok if it stays, but I don't see the point of it.

Last edited:
I have noticed the Mass Effect profiles looked super messy for years, and I think it's about time someone tried to clean it up. I do agree some of the calcs and downscaling are super iffy, all over the place and what not. And there appears to be a lot of Loopholes in the scaling chain, which tends to be a curse for various Sci-Fi Shooter verses these days.

I haven't played Mass Effect 2 in like 3 years at this point, so I'm not very knowledgeable at all anymore. Imma stay out of this one

I'm not too knowledgeable but this seems like a good upgrade.

By the way, since mass accelerator weaponry + Reaper's projectiles move at Relativistic speed, shouldn't characters be possibly Relativistic?

Commander Shepard did react to Reaper's projectiles on Rannoch, and characters were able to react and dodge fire from mass accelerator weapons.
There aren't really many upgrades, it's mostly downgrades as DarkDragonMedeus said above.
I mean an upgrade for the profiles, as they were clearly outdated and a revision was needed.

Last edited:
By the way, since mass accelerator weaponry + Reaper's projectiles move at Relativistic speed, shouldn't characters be possibly Relativistic?

Commander Shepard did react to Reaper's projectiles on Rannoch, and characters were able to react and dodge fire from mass accelerator weapons.
The mass accelerator weaponry would need a calc I'm pretty sure. But you never dodge the Rannoch Reaper's beam outright, he just fires a laser in a straight line and it moves the laser left/right and you dodge that not it being fired.

I mean an upgrade for the profiles, as they were clearly outdated and a revision was needed.
Oh right.. that makes a lot more sense.

Also, in retrospect the Leviathans should be "Unknown". Yeah Reapers are based on the Leviathans, but Reaper's AP comes not from their physical statistics, but their laser canons, which the Leviathans evidently lack. The way they "kill" a Reaper is by a telepathic/kinetic EMP type thing, not actually attacking it. Their durability should stay though, as Harbringer was able to casually shrug off a whole fleet assault without a scratch.

Going to update the OP to reflect that.

A renewed passion for the series should come when they release the remastered/remake of the originals.

Aren't the shields in the series capable of withstanding something with the force of an atomic bomb?

I don't remember the exact phrasing but it was something like a paint chip being accelerated to have the force of a nuke from an infantry weapon but the shields can withstand it.

I assume you're talking about this

"Accelerator design was revolutionized by element zero. A slug lightened by a mass effect field can be accelerated to greater speeds, permitting projectile velocities that were previously unattainable. If accelerated to a high enough velocity, a simple paint chip can impact with the same destructive force as a nuclear weapon. However, mass accelerators produce recoil equal to their impact energy. This is mitigated somewhat by the mass effect fields that rounds are suspended within, but weapon recoil is still the prime limiting factor on slug velocity."

But it's described as a purely theoretical. I don't think any specific weapon has been pointed out with having that much power individually.

I agree with the changes.
Though I want to mention that I noticed in the sandbox that the profiles that go over 8-B don't reflect the OP, just in case that was an oversight.

I agree with the changes.
Though I want to mention that I noticed in the sandbox that the profiles that go over 8-B don't reflect the OP, just in case that was an oversight.
What specifically do you mean? I could've made an oversight somewhere.

Looks like more than enough people agree with the revision.

@Ogbunabali, i think you can call Ant and ask if you can proceed with the update.

Last edited:
If this has been accepted by our staff and overall consensus, it can probably be applied.

Overall it has been accepted. From the staff Schnee One and Duedate8898. And I think DarkDragonMedeus accepted it as well, they weren't quite clear. At least they didn't disagree. It doesn't seem there to be anyone that will disagree with it though.

I can make the changes later when I have more time.

Okay. No problem then. Thank you for helping out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back