• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Marvel Cleanup: Thanos and Cosmic Ghost Rider, A Problem

1. Cosmic Ghost Rider
Ok, so, I took a look at Cosmic Ghost Rider the other day and noticed that his 4-B justification is beating the Avengers...I'm sorry, what?? To make matters worse, his profile still talks about him killing Classic Thanos, whose comparable to Classic Adam Warlock. So, we've got two scaling chains in the profile. Let me elaborate:

CGR's current AP Justification basically says: Thor < Cosmic Ghost Rider. Because really, fighting that team of Avengers, is not much of a feat for 4-B outside of Thor. Savage She-Hulk varies is power, and nothing is shown during that fight of her being near her peak. Even if she were, that still puts her around Thor's level anyway. Captain Marvel is 5-A, so nothing there either. Captain America and Black Panther? Yes, they were amped by Celestial energy but we don't know how powerful that makes them, so CGR brushing them aside doesn't do anything for his justification.

Now CRG dominating and killing a Classic-level Thanos says: Thor =< Ulik < Olik < Classic Adam Warlock = Classic Thanos << CGR

Big difference there, wouldn't you say? Now, the only problem with this is that Thanos doesn't have a Classic Key.

2. Why doesn't Thanos have a Classic Key?

Thanos hasn't always been at the level he's at today. In fact, the level he's at wasn't something he attained until 1990, with Thanos Quest #1. Thanos originally appeared in 1973 in Iron Man #55. See, Thanos attained his modern level at the beginning of Thanos Quest because Death revived him while greatly augmenting his power on page 7 of the comic. So Thanos went 17 years before getting that upgrade and we already claim that his Classic incarnation was comparable to classic Adam Warlock. Hence, our current profile is inaccurate, unfortunately.

3. The Proposals

A. We give Thanos a Classic Key who is scaled to Classic Adam Warlock. This fixes the inaccuracy of the profile.

B. Thanos' current Base gets changed to Modern who is scaled to be superior to his Classic self. He really doesn't need his trouncings of Silver Surfer and Thor because he's already above them via being comparable to Adam in the past.

C. CGR gets scaled to his killing of Classic level Thanos, giving him a more concrete feat.

The first's thing is just wrong, Shu-Hulk points out that there's no point in holding back before attacking him, those are kinda the magic words, against Captain Marvel he somehow had time to built a gun from the stuff around while what would otherwise look like him shooting energy evenly against her, Cap also points out how CGR is powerful enough to go toe-to-toe with the strongers Avengers.

I always see the amp in power given to Thanos in Thanos Quest pointed out by people but never saw how it really matters, if anything I see writers kinda never having that in mind/it being too unimportant.

Proposals seems fine. Not sure if we should remove CGR scaling off of She-Hulk since I think it's fine for supporting evidence, but the Thanos feat should be added to his justification. I completely agree with Thanos getting a classic key. It's a pretty important point in his career, and is referred to in future stories like Infinite Gauntlet. Though I think the modern key can keep the showings of him stomping Surfer and the like.

Okay. Thank you for the input. We seem to have reached a consensus here then.

Probably, yes. Pre-death Thanos was not nearly as powerful or versatile.

I am fine with it, and would appreciate if somebody writes a draft in a sandbox page.

Last edited:
I had a proposal regarding Thanos' keys. I wanted to make a biiiig revision in the near future to add more abilities and probably upgrade him. Anyway, this is what I was proposing;

Classic - his first appearance to Thanos Quest
Modern - Thanos quest to God Quarry
Post God Quarry - God Quarry arc till now

Classic should be his first appearance until his first death. He was powered-up by Death during his first resurrection.

What happened during the God Quarry story in terms of his power level?

What happened during the God Quarry story in terms of his power level?
He got a massive power boost, on the same level as Phoenix and his older self. Tho he "killed" himself shortly after using Gamora so he would stop himself from becoming his future self and he is still dead (sans the GoTG which I have no clue what happened)

Okay. He was resurrected in the current Eternals comic book though, although I wouldn't recommend it. It is bleak, boring, morbid, pointless, uninteresting, and otherwise generally awful.

Really i actually like the current Eternals run lol especially the reveal of how their immortality works

I think that part was retconned into existence by Neil Gaiman several years ago.

was it? i haven't read the Gaiman run yet so I wouldn't know but it's played like a huge reveal in the series that a human dies to resurrect them when they die

Yeah pretty sure Gaiman's was the same thing. I think the only difference now is that these guys come back looking slightly different or are of a different gender or something.

now i really want to read the Gaiman run but i still find this one interesting since Thanos' parents are alive but in exclusion

Anyway's I think that C2's suggestions in the first post are fine to apply.

Back