• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
So this is a question to primarily staff, but anyone can feel free to give their opinion.

My question is essentially: "What qualifies as "Canon" and "Supporting Canon" for Manga?"

As we know, Manga is, unlike its western counterparts, drawn and written by a single author or artist but they share their copyrights with the publishers of their series (To varying degrees depending on the author) but that means the publisher has at least partial ownership of the series itself as well.

I'll use Naruto as an example because it has the most issue's with determining what is "Canon" with the series.

• In regards to Naruto, there are various "Additions" / "Continuations" to the main storyline (Chapters 1 - 700) in the form of Novels. The issue is, Kishimoto is only confirmed as an "Illustrator" on these novels but we don't know the full scope of his contributions or involvement behind the scenes regarding them.
  • There are in total, 14 novels dedicated to continuing the Naruto story where Kishimoto is an illustrator and most have been stated to be apart of the main storyline, but only be the publisher. There have only been a few instances where Kishimoto's scope of influence behind the scenes has been stated for clarity but not in regards to the Novels.
  • The publisher has also posted several "Official Timelines" that update as new material releases.
So, as you can see, there is a bit of an issue here, and not just with Naruto but various other Manga series as well. How do we decided what is canon and what is not for VsBW?

There are some logical assumptions that can be made such as: "If the artist is illustrating Relevant Material for Novels and such, it's begs to reason they would have to know the plot of said stories to illustrate for it first and foremost." But this at the end of the day is still an unverified assumption.

How can we clarify this issue for future references? (If not Clear, ask for clarification on anything)

honest opinion? we dont decide anything as long as it contradicts the original stuff or as long as it has a certified time space within the main story/verse confirmed by the author himself, or someone that represents him. now, say we have a case where a story isnt confirmed to be canon, but it also doesnt contradict anything and even relies heavily on the original story; then, i would assume that we consider it second canon, as in, we place anything that is confirmed canon, no matter the level of canoninocity, above the second canon, and only rely on the second canon's info for things relating only to the second canon itself.

Regarding One Piece, the most notable media outside the manga and the anime are the movies. With one of them being purely written by Oda, the other two had him contributting in a big part, tho we don't consider them canon because they contradict the canon.

Strong World, despite being written by Oda, isn't canon. Chronologically it doesn't fit because of one or two details, but the events hadn't been referenced in the manga which is considered the only canon for the show.

3D2Y happened after the events of Marineford, right during the Timeskip. Considering the timeframe and that there isn't contradicting material, the film/special would be considered canon, right? No, because that's an anime only thing, and nothing implies that Oda participated so we can't consider it canon.

On the other side, we have novels. Right now three chapters of Ace's novel and a few chapters? of Law's. Those are considered canon as long as Oda's confirmed to have approved the script. In fact, Ace's novel introduces characters that can be seen in the manga but that were unnamed before that.

So, as long as the main canon isn't contradicted and the original author is involved, it shouldn't be a problem to consider any media as canon.

It's canon if it follows this list. (At least to me)

• The author is involved in someway with the story.
  • It doesn't contradict the manga.
  • The Author acknowledge the work as canon by saying it or providing his own notes and revising the work before its publish.

Kishimoto stated that Kakshi Hiden was a side story in Chapter 700 so anything associated with that is immediately canon the only issue is the Boruto canon which is a little scuffed atm between the anime and novels mainly

NotCensored said:
Kishimoto stated that Kakshi Hiden was a side story in Chapter 700 so anything associated with that is immediately canon the only issue is the Boruto canon which is a little scuffed atm between the anime and novels mainly
Where was this statement? I need it!....Please.

TheFinalOrder said:
NotCensored said:
Here

NotCensored said:
TheFinalOrder said:
NotCensored said:
Here
Ah, lol. I forgot about this. This isn't by Kishimoto. It's just an advert by WSJ at the end of the chapter. Helps cement that Kishi knew about it though.

Back