• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Liu Kang vs Gene (God Hand)

SamanPatou

VS Battles
Administrator
In the new timeline he created after defeating Shang Tsung, Liu Kang seeks strong warriors who can side with him and defend Earthrealm in the next Mortal Kombat tournament.
Using his godly powers, he scans the realm, and finally senses a young fighter in possession of a mysterious source of power and great potential. It takes him only an instant and a burst of lightning to appear in front of a surprised Gene, who was wandering a deserted town.

Greetings, I am Liu Kang, God of Fire and Thunder. I wish you to join me in the battle against the forces of Outworld.

A god? Eheh, do you want your arm back, perhaps?

I do not understand. I'm here solely to test your might.

Nevermind then, but if it's a fight you're looking for, then I'm your guy!

• Fire God Liu Kang and God Hand Gene are used
  • Speed is equalized
  • The battle takes place in a deserted urban environment, pretty much like a modern ghost town
  • Gene upscales from 19 tons, since he has become stronger over the course of his journey, while Liu Kang in unquantifiably above baseline, since he can easily perform high end High 8-C+ feats and can contend with Shang Tsung after he has absorbed the souls of several High 8-C characters (whose power level doesn't stack up in a mathematical way)
  • Forget about the story, killing the opponent is allowed for the match itself.

Liu Kang:

Gene:

Inconclusive:

58d67db8ba187a3dde2b01ca8db39e27.jpg
d68bmq7-ca806391-fbb7-4140-8744-ed295714b4b7.jpg

Last edited:
With the fight's setup, I assume neither of them are particularly willing to kill, at least at first?

I'd say my story can be separated from the actual battle, since I believe it would be hinder the potential of both.

I will put it into the notes of the fight.

I mean I'm not opposed to it, personally, but I can understand why you'd prefer to separate that

What's Liu Kang's skill level and fighting style like? Gene's able to fight centuries old warriors, learn and master martial arts moves (even ones from a style that is completely unknown to him if his starting moves are any indication, which also means he can pick up new martial arts in what is at most weeks and integrate them in his fighting style) just by reading a scroll and string them together in organic and really fast combos, his real trump card is his sheer versatility though, with over 100 moves at his disposal even when counting only the basic ones and many ways to adapt to basically anything a H2H opponent throws his way.

Fire God Liu Kang has the combined abilities and memories (and I'd say skill and experience by default) of normal Liu Kang, Revenant Liu Kang and Raiden.

Very briefly, base Liu Kang is a gifted fighter who was trained since a very young age by the Shaolin Monks, Raiden and Bo Rai Cho, becoming the best of his order and was considered the most prominent fighter and hope of Earthrealm.
The list of notable characters he has defeated includes: Ermac, Kitana, Scorpion, Quan Chi, Goro, Shang Tsung, Sheeva, Shao Kahn, Jade, Geras and Revenant Liu Kang.
He was also able to match Raiden, and some of the previously listed characters have been defeated by Liu Kang more than one times, and even when he was facing two of them at the same time.

Revenant Liu Kang is basically standard Liu Kang, and although he is less skilled and more cocky than his alive self, such traits have not been inherited by the Fire God version. Instead, he retains the Revenant's memories, which include leading the Netherrealm and engaging in battle (and losing to) people such as Jax, Cassie Cage and Raiden.

Raiden is an extremely ancient god (being millions of years old) and master combatant, who has fought and trained many fighters in his quest to protect Earthrealm.
His list of defeated opponents includes: Liu Kang, Scorpion, Shao Kahn, Baraka, D'vorah, Jax, Geras and Frost.
He has also fought the Revenant versions of: Kitana, Nightwolf, Stryker, Jax, Kab, Liu Kang, Kung Lao,
Notably, some of these battles featured Raiden going against multiple revenants at the same time.
He has also held his own against an army of Netherrealm demons attacking him all together, slaughtering said demons for a prolonged time by "dancing with his blades".

Lastly, Fire God Liu Kang could defeat Cetrion, Kronika and "Aftermath" Shang Tsung (in one of the possible endings).

Liu's fighting style and abilities are explained very well in his notable attacks&techniques section, and Fire God's style is basically Liu's with enhancements granted by lightning and stuff like teleportation, but nothing suggests he wouldn't be able to use Raiden's other abilities.
Notably, he has shown the tendency of using his transmutation beam to finish off an opponent, turning them into glass and shattering them.

This post may be longer than necessary.

Nah, it's a good post.

Liu's nunchaku gives him a reach advantage over Gene but Gene could make up for that by using some makeshift weapon, like ripping a street sign off the ground (which he does in GH). Liu has a huge LS advantage but I assume he doesn't grapple too much and Gene typically finds his way out of enemy grapples by striking them or wiggling his way out somehow.

Gene can break through guard so Liu's counters might not see much use here, he also has been able to defend himself enemies who teleport right behind him. However Liu's various stances and stuff might prove a little tricky. One advantage that Gene does have is that a good amount of his super moves are often just big, single energy attacks with a bit of AOE to them, while it would be possible to him to dodge around Liu Kang's combos or interrupt them.

Gene also has a significant AP and Speed advantage upon amping (Although the latter may be negated by SBA rules, idk tho since it's definitely not stomp-worthy on its own), healing and possibly slightly more versatility, but I'm sure Liu has a bunch of advantages of his own I'm not considering (also, ranged combat, he's definitely better at that)

Are brutalities just finishers or does he use them any time?

About LS, it might be considered rather in character for him to perform grapples, since he has used one to subdue Revenant Jade.

Brutalities are more like killing the opponent when you get a chance by using a special move.
Like, instead of performing a flamboyant execution on a stunned opponent with a fatality, you manage to kill your enemy with one of your special moves when you get a chance in the middle of a fight.
In-game they trigger only when the opponent's life bar is depleted by such moves, but I doubt that's a canonical thing.

I see, Gene does have some methods of escaping grappling without using his LS as I said, but it obviously could be troublesome. Same story for brutalities I suppose, although in the end it's not too different from some of Gene's own moves like Head Slicer or Daisy Cutter.

Btw, amps aren't negated by SBA.

I'd say that Liu's biggest advantage is that at some point, he could decide to do this

If the slower character wins due to a speed amp when speed is equalized then that amp isn't allowed or something

Anyway I think at close range Gene can easily get around Liu to avoid a jet of fire like that, Elvis has a similar attack which is even a bit wider iirc

If the slower character wins due to a speed amp when speed is equalized then that amp isn't allowed or something
I remember it being the case only if the amped character becomes so fast the battle ends up being a speed blitz, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Yeah it's like, provably not a blitz actually lol. When Azel uses it against Gene (they're comparable with Gene having maybe the slightest stat advantage but probably not) he can dodge most of Gene's attacks, but Gene can still tag him and dodge his own attacks in return, it's "just" a huge advantage.

Back