• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Leonidas (300) vs Maximus (Gladiator)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bump

Bump

Okay, so I guess lets go over everything

AP

First as a note both are more like 9-B than 9-C. Since they can each stab through metal armor.
Overall I'd say its basically even for AP

Lifting Strength

Since neither have any feats I'll just go by their listed baseline stats. As such Leonidas is 1.8x stronger than Maximus. Its an advantage, but I honestly don't think its a major advantage. People have lost to others before with a similar or worse gap in lifting strength.

Durability
  • Leonidas: While physically nothing he has really makes him better than Maximus, his shield is like hilariously durable and more or less completely negates any attack Maximus can do
  • Maximus: His shield can parry attacks from people roughly on his level, but its smaller than Leonidas' shield and he doesn't have the power feats with his shield that Leonidas has
Skill

Now this is a major point here. So here's my view
  • Leonidas has been trained longer, but has only (seemingly) ever fought in one campaign and he died there
  • Maximus has fought in multiple wars against multiple different countries and against multiple different enemies with different styles. Maximus was also shown to be capable of becoming the best Gladiator in the Roman Empire during its height, which has a far larger manpool to drawn from for fighting stylus
  • The people Leonidas fought were far more varied than what Maximus fought in terms of equipment and style, but he also got to fight them in a location that heavily favored the Spartans in basically every encounter.
  • Leonidas has better examples of rapidly killing people when compared to Maximus, but he did so with an army at his back and with the ability to just ignore people he didn't kill, while Maximus has better examples of defeating a group of people working together without back up
  • Maximus is well versed in Roman and Greek history. Meaning there is a good chance he knows who Leonidas was and what his accomplishments were (though his version is of course different from the 300 version). So that might give him a better inclination of the Spartan fighting style than Leonidas would be used to deal with.
Overall I think there's a case that either one has an advantage for a variety of reasons. Overall I think they're roughly on par with the other to the point there's no real advantage here. It about who can capitalize off of the other's mistakes rather than making an opening in my view

Gear
  • Leonidas has a spear, short sword, large shield and wears greaves
  • Maximus uses a short sword, medium shield and standard high imperial roman legionary armor
Now to me the armor doesn't mean much, since from the movies neither armor set is shown to be strong enough to deflect a blow from the other (or in other words Maximus hits hard enough to pierce Leonidas' armor and Leonidas hits hard enough to get through Maximus' armor).

Leonidas shield is a massive defensive advantage, but its also one that is canonically heavy and throws him off. Maximus' equipment do not hinder or impact his fighting ability to any notable degree. He's also shown to have far better long range accuracy compared to Leonidas.

Conclusion

At the end of it, I wanna say Maximus wins. I believe he hits as hard as Leonidas, I believe he has a better skill set suited to a one on one fight in an open environment, I feel he has better knowledge on his opponent and I believe his endurance can carry him through a long fight.

To me its a long slog, but one where I feel like Maximus will eventually win through wearing Leonidas down or capitalizing on his mistakes. Leonidas has win cons still: His spear has notably longer range than Maximus' standard gear and his shield is a rather deadly tool. But I don't think Leonidas is so skill with either than Maximus can't adjust or handle it.

So the Gladiator for a slim majority imo.

Final bump

The better movie FRA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back