• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Language Policy for Non-English Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye, may as well.

This is my best assessment of everyone's views so far.

Agree - Mr._Bambu, Crabwhale, Planck69, Damage3245, Deagonx
Disagree - Ogurtsow, Duedate8898
Neutral/Mixed - Antvasima, DDM, LordGriffin1000, KLOL506, Just_a_Random_Butler
Okay with single thread, not sub-forum: DontTalkDT, Dereck03

Apologies if I did not accurately characterize someone's views, if you want me to change where you are just let me know. There were a couple cases where it was tough to say where exactly they landed so I put them in Neutral until it's clearer.

Last edited:
This is my best assessment of everyone's views so far.

Neutral/Mixed - Antvasima, DDM, LordGriffin1000, KLOL506, DontTalkDT, Just_a_Random_Butler

Apologies if I did not accurately characterize someone's views, if you want me to change where you are just let me know. There were a couple cases where it was tough to say where exactly they landed so I put them in Neutral until it's clearer.
Just for clarity: I'm in favour of allowing non-english in just one thread per language and without a special subforum.

So my "Mixed" is closer to "Agree" than to "Disagree". (Listing it as mixed is probably best, though)

Apologies if I did not accurately characterize someone's views, if you want me to change where you are just let me know.
Just for clarity: I'm in favour of allowing non-english in just one thread per language and without a special subforum.
I said the same thing in my most recent post in this thread.

I thought you were African-American?
He is not. This is misconception, he does not even look like American, he is more handsome and European.
If it's just 1 thread per language, then that would be a subforum for very few threads, all of which have no relevance on anything. (As anything important definitely needs to be in English)
Feel like one could safely shove those into general discussion / Fun & Games and make them traceable with a tag.
I am cognizant that the inclusion of a sub-forum may not be germane to the present state of the wiki. Nonetheless, I opine that the establishment of said sub-forum would likely engender an influx of new visitors, stimulate chat activity, and yield numerous other achievements, surpassing the efficacy of a solitary tag that is seldom utilized by the majority of users.

Just to clarify, I firmly oppose using other languages than English in this forum, as it would turn far too impractical to moderate properly. I simply do not mind if discussion threads for people from the same part of this world are created.

Alright, the policy will be following:
  • The VS Battle Wiki is an English-language platform, and all users are expected to communicate in English. Exceptions may be made for scans or other visual materials, but in such cases, a translation must be provided in English.
    • This policy applies to all users of the fandom and forum, including discussion threads, fun and games, and any other areas of the platform where communication occurs.
    • All users must communicate in English on the fandom and forum, except in the case of scans or other visual materials, where a translation must be provided in English.
Neutral/Mixed - Antvasima, DDM, LordGriffin1000, KLOL506, Just_a_Random_Butler
Okay with single thread, not sub-forum: DontTalkDT, Dereck03
May someone be kind and ping the relevant staff members?

The outcome of the thread if this policy is passed is to close all general discussions that I have pointed out. (Only staff members are allowed to comment)

Last edited:
I think based on my post, it's okay for General Discussions and Fun & Games boards to be in any language including all the various multilinguistic languages. But pretty much everything else needs to be strictly English.

@Mr._Bambu @Crabwhale @Planck69 @Damage3245 @Deagonx @DarkDragonMedeus @LordGriffin1000 @KLOL506 @Just_a_Random_Butler @DontTalkDT @Dereck03 @Ogurtsow @Duedate8898

Does this seem fine to you?

I am personally fine with discussion threads for specific nationalities hosted in our general sub-forum, as long as people there stick to writing in English.
Well, I said my preferred solution before, but I'm ok if we do it like that, too.

If you disagree, I don't mind, but at least provide an alternative or an instruction as I did. So people can get your view since I addressed many flaws on allowing it.

This was my alternative
I feel like the worst policy here is forcing members to only speak english. As a site on the internet we're going to have a healthy amount of members who can't effectively engage without english, a naturally problem of no real barriers to entry. And forcing people to only speak english can and will be read in a way that excludes non-primary english speakers from engaging with our community. And exclusion of that nature is a troubling precedent to set. As a wiki for hobbyist, adding barriers to engage with our hobby isn't really self productive. In fact, a lot of the cons listed end of existing if we make english the only permissible language, we just get to ignore the problem cause of english speaking majority. Such a policy doesn't end of promoting inclusivity, accessibility, and transparency in our community but the exact opposite.

The real solution I see here is the attempt to broaden are billingual speaking or reading at least thread moderators.
TLDR: Bring more bilingual people into our thread moderators.

This was my alternative

See the problem with that, personage of esteem whom I haven't interacted with before, is that this forum and wiki is by its very inception not friendly to non-English speakers. Every profile, every revision thread and every rule is required to be in English. That's the goal, thems are the pillars of our foundation. So, by doing that we've already killed any pretence of diversity. This would just be putting the nail in the coffin. And personally, I'd be okay with putting said nail in said coffin.

Anyway, as should be obvious, I agree with the rule.

This was my alternative

I think that would be good, in addition to us generating more people for vsbttles or fandom ( let's say vsbttles will be more recognized ) I have many Brazilian friends who would like to join vsbttles and be able to argue about the favorite verse, also vsbttles needs at least one 5 or more admirers and moderators for each different language, we don't lose anything with that, but we gain with it, imagine a system that can integrate good things on a global level? I see a good thing about this, in fact it would generate more contribution to the wiki, both in money and advertisements and popularity, you could grow even more with this and encourage people to like your cultures even more.

@Mr._Bambu @Crabwhale @Planck69 @Damage3245 @Deagonx @DarkDragonMedeus @LordGriffin1000 @KLOL506 @Just_a_Random_Butler @DontTalkDT @Dereck03 @Ogurtsow @Duedate8898

Does this seem fine to you?

I am personally fine with discussion threads for specific nationalities hosted in our general sub-forum, as long as people there stick to writing in English.
Yes. To me, it appears acceptable, and I am also open to having particular discussion threads for other nationalities, on the condition that the communication takes place in English.

I agree with LuffyRuffy. I'd alter the rules this way:
  • The wiki and forum is a predominantly English-language platform, and all users are expected to communicate in English. Exceptions may be made for scans or other visual materials, but in such cases, a translation must be provided in English.
    • This policy applies to all users of the wiki and forum, including content revision threads, staff discussions, and any other areas of the platform where the community's input not limited to a specific language is required.
    • General discussions focusing on members speaking a specific language other than English are allowed as long as participants do not use it to bypass any other rules by using another language. If you want to create such a thread, do not forget to add the "International Discussion" tag if there is no thread for your language yet.
    • General discussions focusing on a specific non-English verse* are allowed to use the original language of the verse. However, if a member does not speak the original language fluently, they can still use English to participate in the thread, and the other participants must not interfere them.
    • Fun and games in a specific language are allowed as well as long as they are not used to bypass other rules.
*e.g. Monica's Gang, a Brazilian verse (there's a thread for it operating in Brazilian Portuguese).

As previously pointed out, a major concern with allowing such threads is that we have no way of actually enforcing our rules if we can't understand what's being said. I think the consensus is strong enough to outright ban other languages from being spoken.

Ya, this has been previously addressed, so I don't think the alteration was needed to my draft.

Since everyone has agreed with my draft, I assume it's safe to apply it

IMO, the word fandom would be better to be replaced with wiki regardless of the final output. Because we're a wiki site on a wiki farm on the MediaWiki engine. «fandom» doesn't suit in this context.
It's called "VS Battles Wiki" officially. The term already included fandom and forum automatically.

Edit: my bad, I will replace it

Thank you for the replies. 🙏

Is it fine if Dread adds roughly what I wrote above to her rule draft?
I still think that this should preferably be added.

Context: In PMs, it was communicated to me that the proposed modification will be implemented in the "Be Appropriate" section of the Site Rules.

Specifically, the new changes will be inserted as the very first bullet point under that section.

You can find the proposed changes in this link:

Just to be extra sure, does this look acceptable?

From my perspective, it seems acceptable. However, I suggest retaining the term “fandom” instead of replacing it with “wiki”, as “wiki” encompasses both fandom and forum.
This policy applies to all members of this fandom and our forum,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back