• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Kratos Norse Mythology

I don't know if this will be accepted or not (probably not), but Cory stating that makes it a canonical fact via both WoG confirmation and narrative intent. But what's canon might not even matter, take a look at the Star Wars Legends profiles for the wiki and you'll know what I mean.

Not always
Agreed, and definitely not this case as well. The problem with Younger Kratos < Old Kratos is simple. It was never portrayed as such in the games and novels, which are primary canon. He was stated to be rusty, lacks his best weapons, hasn't had a fight like the one he had with Baldur in years, and wasn't shown or stated to have trained or grown in power throught other means at all between the ending of God of War 3 and the start of 4. The fact he lost body mass and is shown as being less muscular corroborates with that idea. Cory can think whatever he wants, if he thinks Old Kratos beats Young Kratos its perfectly fine, but it means nothing to us until Kratos is portrayed that way in the games themselves.

It was never portrayed as such in the games and novels, which are primary canon.
But it doesnt need to appear in the games if the author stated
Cory can think whatever he wants, if he thinks Old Kratos beats Young Kratos its perfectly fine, but it means nothing to us until Kratos is portrayed that way in the games themselves.
Well, what the public thinks about the verse doesnt change what the author thinks, if he stated that old kratos is stronger, then he is 🤨

1_toms_had_enough.jpg

But it doesnt need to appear in the games if the author stated
Your logic is sound. But the idea is that Kratos was never portrayed as stronger than he was in the third game and everything points out for him to have become weaker. So the author statement would not be valid in this case because it doesn't hold up to what we saw in primary canon.
Well, what the public thinks about the verse doesnt change what the author thinks, if he stated that old kratos is stronger, then he is 🤨
Yes but unless he represents it in primary canon (games, novels, comics), its just what it is. A thought. The picture painted by the game and all its side materials is that Kratos has grown rusty and weaker, not that he had an unknown power up overtime.

Your logic is sound. But the idea is that Kratos was never portrayed as stronger than he was in the third game and everything points out for him to have become weaker.
As I said, he doesnt need to be portrayed if the author stated that he is, the argument that i am seeing is that 'kratos lose his weapons', which just means that he is now stronger than his past self with weapons
Yes but unless he represents it in primary canon (games, novels, comics), its just what it is. A thought.
It is not just a thought, it is what the author made, and it doesnt need to appear in the games/novels etc, unless someone show the author contradicting himself

The problem is that he is portrayed as old and rusty, something that goes out of the window by the time you reach mid game as you can see he is back to his normal self.

He is never portrayed as weaker after the half of the game, killing three times another God without much effort and the other 2. By the end of the game he is back to his previous routine of killing God's without trouble this along with the creator telling you he is in fact stronger should be enough

Doesnt Thor can match Surtr who can cause the ragnarok and destroy all of the existence which is made by endless timelines?

Doesnt Thor can match Surtr who can cause the ragnarok and destroy all of the existence which is made by endless timelines?
The blades of chaos perform a feat of burning in helheim which even surtur's blade can't do, and the blades aren't even the most powerful weapon(s) in the greek pantheon. Plus, surtur is only directly stated to destroy asgard.

The blades of chaos perform a feat of burning in helheim which even surtur's blade can't do, and the blades aren't even the most powerful weapon(s) in the greek pantheon. Plus, surtur is only directly stated to destroy asgard.
Surtur is stated to be able to destroy all that its known

Is there anything contradicting old kratos being stronger than his young self? If not, then I see no reason why we can't use WoG.

The problem is that he is portrayed as old and rusty, something that goes out of the window by the time you reach mid game as you can see he is back to his normal self.

He is never portrayed as weaker after the half of the game, killing three times another God without much effort and the other 2. By the end of the game he is back to his previous routine of killing God's without trouble this along with the creator telling you he is in fact stronger should be enough
I'm proud, son. But Magni and Modi are definitely not as impressive as the strongest Greek Gods are and Baldur certainly isn't as well. So I don't think that is much of a big deal and certainly wouldn't requite Kratos to be stronger than his old self to accomplish.

Be proud of dis, bitch.

Anyways, they have a bigger cosmology, better statements and the blades are stronger than surtr that along with WoG makes everyone in GoW 2018 stronger that their wimpy Greek counterparts

Be proud of dis, bitch.

Anyways, they have a bigger cosmology, better statements and the blades are stronger than surtr that along with WoG makes everyone in GoW 2018 stronger that their wimpy Greek counterparts
You ****** up. Blades being stronger is a feat for the greek pantheon
:v

Something feels off about that though. Isn't Old Kratos supposed to be super rusty?
I agree

There’s evidence given in the novels and I believe by another dev at Santa Monica that Kratos is weaker then in III

Imo we shouldn’t be scaling between the versions until we get more concrete proof

GoW4 Kratos is a better fighter is the reason the authors considered him being able to win, but GoW3 Kratos has more raw power. Recall this is the last time it was brought up.

Just curious, but wasn't it stated that the gods grow stronger as they age? Wouldn't this mean that Kratos eventually just surpassed his GOW3 self?

Just curious, but wasn't it stated that the gods grow stronger as they age? Wouldn't this mean that Kratos eventually just surpassed his GOW3 self?
It was stated for the Olympians but I’ve found some evidence this isn’t passive

Dm me if you’re curious

Blasphemy and Sacrilege....wank everywhere.

How dare you mortals say Norse Kratos>>PoH Kratos!!!
How can fraction or even lack of a THE MOST POWERFUL entity in BOTH Pantheons compare in any way to the WHOLE package deal that is PoH?
Answer is, it doesn't.
Also WoG is only accepted if it aligns with Primary Canon, a clarification or a Addition as long as it doesn't contradict canon.
This example doesn't fit it. As long as his thoughts in twitter post becomes a tangible reality in the new game, PoH Kratos>>Peak Norse Kratos.

Also my personal bias but Greek Kratos can warp reality and double jump, while Norse Kratos can't even jump.......so for me Greek Kratos automatically better. >:)

Also wasn't there a statement from Cory himself which said that Zeus would body Baldur?

Kratos lost Power of Hope at the end of God of War 3 which was portrayed as an immense power up. He was able to easily obliterate Fear Zeus who was powered by one of the strongest cosmic forces in the Greek Pantheon (Fear itself, one of the evils) when in base they were equals. You would need to provide evidence that between the games Kratos got a power up that surpasses his amped prime when there's no evidence of the later in both the games and the novels, in fact it is heavily suggested that he got weaker.

7:41

Back