• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Knowledge, Wisdom over Skill

TheGreatJedi13

Username Only
This thing crossed my mind while thinking about characters with all the knowledge and wisdom of martial arts skills, etc.

In Theory, anyone with all the information and knowledge about Martial arts skills and such will know how it works and how to counterattack it or even know its probable weakness thus they can use that information to basically out-skill anyone.

Here's the problem though. How can we assume that someone with all the knowledge also has the Skill to use that knowledge?
Knowing is different from Performing.
A Genius who knows martial arts by theory and all of its applications and techniques may or may not have the skill to perform it.
Sure we can assume if the person is superhuman already performing skills wouldn't be that difficult because their speed etc would allow them to perform it but the idea of an enemy that is equivalent to him in terms of statistics would be able to react and perform at the same pace as him thus if he doesn't have the Skills or aptitude to perform it within such condition. in theory someone who is more skilled on a specific martial arts could possibly outperform someone who has all the knowledge and wisdom about all the martial arts from its strength to weakness and counters.

so an interaction between, Someone who suddenly possessed the knowledge and information to all Martial arts every existed and someone who has been fighting and consistently outperforming stronger and stronger enemies for at least a hundred years. Would someone with information win or someone with enough Skill and Aptitude win despite facing off against a weakness because of someone's knowledge about his techniques and such

I'm pretty sure all characters stated to know all martial skills and stuff are assumed to be able to perform, afterall, to actually "know" msrtial arts you must actually be able to perform then, otherwise everyone can just google moves and thus "know" them.

Of course someone with even basics skills will beat someone with only wisdom, is basically a character with lvl 5 in combat and lvl 2 intelligence vs one with lvl 1 in combat and lvl 10 in intelligence, yeah you know a lot but your body isn't adapted to actually fighting on that league

This thing crossed my mind while thinking about characters with all the knowledge and wisdom of martial arts skills, etc.

In Theory, anyone with all the information and knowledge about Martial arts skills and such will know how it works and how to counterattack it or even know its probable weakness thus they can use that information to basically out-skill anyone.

Here's the problem though. How can we assume that someone with all the knowledge also has the Skill to use that knowledge?
Knowing is different from Performing.
A Genius who knows martial arts by theory and all of its applications and techniques may or may not have the skill to perform it.
Sure we can assume if the person is superhuman already performing skills wouldn't be that difficult because their speed etc would allow them to perform it but the idea of an enemy that is equivalent to him in terms of statistics would be able to react and perform at the same pace as him thus if he doesn't have the Skills or aptitude to perform it within such condition. in theory someone who is more skilled on a specific martial arts could possibly outperform someone who has all the knowledge and wisdom about all the martial arts from its strength to weakness and counters.

so an interaction between, Someone who suddenly possessed the knowledge and information to all Martial arts every existed and someone who has been fighting and consistently outperforming stronger and stronger enemies for at least a hundred years. Would someone with information win or someone with enough Skill and Aptitude win despite facing off against a weakness because of someone's knowledge about his techniques and such
I think the person who has actually used their techniques always wins
similarly to how knowing all the tech in melee hasn't stopped me from getting my ass kicked by people who actually play the game, knowledge is actually useless if you haven't used it in a practical scenario yet

I'm pretty sure all characters stated to know all martial skills and stuff are assumed to be able to perform, afterall, to actually "know" msrtial arts you must actually be able to perform then, otherwise everyone can just google moves and thus "know" them.

Of course someone with even basics skills will beat someone with only wisdom, is basically a character with lvl 5 in combat and lvl 2 intelligence vs one with lvl 1 in combat and lvl 10 in intelligence, yeah you know a lot but your body isn't adapted to actually fighting on that league
fair point. but if you put it into a scenario. someone who has precognition would always see your moves and knows how to avoid it because well they know it will happen. but even if they know it would they actually have the skill to perform the feat to stop what he has forseen.

There is always a case of people's Skill being nullified by someone's Precognition and such but I find that weird especially if it goes beyond the league of what they can perform despite knowing the exact timing of attacks and impact to avoid said attack. but up to what limit can we assume that someone's skill starts overpowering someone with subpar skills but has precognition or information to when or how their enemy will attack
I think the person who has actually used their techniques always wins
similarly to how knowing all the tech in melee hasn't stopped me from getting my ass kicked by people who actually play the game, knowledge is actually useless if you haven't used it in a practical scenario yet
it isn't exactly about specifically having no practical experience but rather they are above average in terms of skill
this isn't really just one who plays and one who research
its more of a mix

Well, in my disgusting humble opinion, the guy who fought people for a hundred years, thing is that if he did so then unless he's an idiot, he would already be a master of his martial art and since he's fighting people that are progressively stronger than him and the previous guy, he would eventually meet someone who was able to capitalize on his martial art weakness so he would work to fix that, if there's more stemming from it then he would continue to improve, by that point his martial art would've evolved beyond what it used to be and become something entirely new to the knowledge guy with none of it weakness remain.

If you want to say that someone with true precog and okay martial art prowess in general fighting against a master martial artist of a single 1, i would say it depend on how good and how experience is the later, if the later is like the guy you give an example of then he win, if it's just a basic master then the former would likely win.

Back