• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Kid Goku Dodges the Solar Flare

If I'm not mistaken, he did it in the manga too?
In the manga he could have been aim dodging since he's already seen the attack before in Roshi's fight with Tien and regularly demonstrated being fairly quick compared to the rest of the cast so it wouldn't be unreasonable to presume that he could have grabbed Roshi's sun glasses while Tien was activating his technique and then got back into place when Tien was rushing.
In the anime he just dodges it.

We don't, uh, have a page for the TV anime's Kid Goku.

The Toei version has some implications of it being a solid FTL reaction speed feat. But I do not think we have many profiles for Dragon Ball saga era Toei Dragon Ball.

Do we assume the solar flare is fixed at LS, or its starting speed is LS and can go up based on the ki of the user or that its speed of propagation is based on the user's level?

Yeah I'd say it's fairly reasonable to consider this FTL. Like it's Goku literally outpacing light to grab glasses and then putting them on before it hits him, also if they were moving at ftl it would explain why Goku was still surrounded by light when Tien was rushing him.

I think the only problem i have with this is that, IIRC, like in the manga, characters like Frieza and Android Saga Piccolo failed to dodge to Solar Flare, what would create an inconsistence

Skimming though a compilation on YouTube, most of instances where character who should be able to move dodge it but get caught seem to be mostly because said characters are moving towards the the person using it which would mean for the most part it's less "X character can't dodge it" and more "X character can't shift his momentium in time to not run into the ever increasing wall of light".
The Piccilo/Krillin/Trunks instance though, yeah that one is hard to explain outside of PIS, like Piccolo knows what Solar Flare is and that Cell can use it so he could have reasonably covered his eyes even if he couldn't dodge it so like IDK.

Skimming though a compilation on YouTube, most of instances where character who should be able to move dodge it but get caught seem to be mostly because said characters are moving towards the the person using it which would mean for the most part it's less "X character can't dodge it" and more "X character can't shift his momentium in time to not run into the ever increasing wall of light".
Can you show the compilation?

Also, considering that even Kid Goku is supposedly able to react to FTL attacks, the Z Era characters should view Solar Flare in slow motion

Solar Flare is pretty much just a Ki attack that emits light, not real light imo
The Piccilo/Krillin/Trunks instance though, yeah that one is hard to explain outside of PIS, like Piccolo knows what Solar Flare is and that Cell can use it so he could have reasonably covered his eyes.
This don´t dismiss them as anti-feats though

We assume it ins´t FTL and just a ki attack that emits light
Does toei tien have LS combat speed at this point?
I think the only problem i have with this is that, IIRC, like in the manga, characters like Frieza and Android Saga Piccolo failed to dodge to Solar Flare, what would create an inconsistence
If It moves as a basic ki attack, then wouldn't it make sense that it's speed would be based on the characters not assuming ftl?

Also, considering that even Kid Goku is supposedly able to react to FTL attacks, the Z Era characters should view Solar Flare in slow motion
It being in slow motion doesn't inherently mean they can dodge it.
Like let's say your chasing a guy and then he magically summons a brick wall between you two. You running into it does not mean your slower than the immobile wall, it means that the time it took you to process what was going was to short to properly reroute your momentum to not Loony Tunesing off that wall.
Like remember a technique like Solar Flare is a fairly unconventional technique for the most part so most fighters would take a bit to even realize what was happening.
This don´t dismiss them as anti-feats though
There's an augment to be made that Krillin and Trunks were caught off guard while Piccolo had just taken a decent amount of damage and had just regenerating his arm so he wasn't in the best shape.

Does toei tien have LS combat speed at this point?
According to our Toei Goku profile no

If It moves as a basic ki attack, then wouldn't it make sense that it's speed would be based on the characters not assuming ftl?
Yes

That would straight up be an inconsistence for the mftl ratings of the canon manga
Yes, if Solar Flare is a FTL attack, if it just changes depending on how strong is the user due to being ki-based then no

I mean a lot of the time it's an unexpected attack so it catches them off guard
And, likely the biggest part of the time where the attack was used, it outspeed the characters reaction speed

It being in slow motion doesn't inherently mean they can dodge it.
Like let's say your chasing a guy and then he magically summons a brick wall between you two. You running into it does not mean your slower than the immobile wall, it means that the time it took you to process what was going was to short to properly reroute your momentum to not Loony Tunesing off that wall.
Your example depends on some specific factors (Such as how close i was in relation to the wall)

Also: The gap between Saiyan Saga characters and Kid Goku is clearly way bigger than my perception speed independent of how close i was to the wall

Like remember a technique like Solar Flare is a fairly unconventional technique for the most part so most fighters would take a bit to even realize what was happening.
If you are fighting a guy that have hand gestures as the primare way to realize his attacks and then he starts to emit an extremely bright light AFTER the hand gesture is something that would logically indicate a way to do something to you

Also, in the video linked above, some characters couldn´t even have time to close their eyes before the Solar Flare already stunned them

There's an augment to be made that Krillin and Trunks were caught off guard while Piccolo had just taken a decent amount of damage and had just regenerating his arm so he wasn't in the best shape.
Everyone here was at least FTL+, i really doubt being "Out of shape" and "off guard" would make them more than 10x slower than before

Back