• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll discuss this more when the speed revisions happen, but I still think it's not legit in its current form.
I'd prefer if we do that before tbh. In the case that we end up using the feat for scaling, it'd be a bit of a drag to have to redo the scaling and change the ratings on sandboxes a bunch of times.
I would also like that thread to focus on scaling, not whether the calcs are valid or not.

I'd prefer if we do that before tbh. In the case that we end up using the feat for scaling, it'd be a bit of a drag to have to redo the scaling and change the ratings on sandboxes a bunch of times.
I would also like that thread to focus on scaling, not whether the calcs are valid or not.

It's still probably not best for this thread, so I'll tackle it another time.

Considering this thread is for the calc itself, any issues with the calc should be rectified in this thread. So, if Choji’s portion of the calc has issues this is quite literally the thread for it (ignoring scaling cuz that comes later). Of course if you think the calc is an outlier for Choji that can be saved for a scaling thread I presume.

Absolutely not, this thread is to discuss the usability of these calcs. If you have issues let the users know so we can discuss and fix any discrepancies, if you don't, then once the scaling thread starts discussion on the calcs will not be tolerated.

Considering this thread is for the calc itself, any issues with the calc should be rectified in this thread. So, if Choji’s portion of the calc has issues this is quite literally the thread for it (ignoring scaling cuz that comes later). Of course if you think the calc is an outlier for Choji that can be saved for a scaling thread I presume.

KingTempest just said this thread isn't for the calc itself, but removing the previous calc.

Absolutely not, this thread is to discuss the usability of these calcs. If you have issues let the users know so we can discuss and fix any discrepancies, if you don't, then once the scaling thread starts discussion on the calcs will not be tolerated.

Not to rain down on your authority, but a statement like "discussion on the calcs will not be tolerated" is ridiculous. You don't get to decide that.

KingTempest just said this thread isn't for the calc itself, but removing the previous calc.

Not to rain down on your authority, but a statement like "discussion on the calcs will not be tolerated" is ridiculous. You don't get to decide that.
And you don't get to stall a thread because you refuse to voice your concerns on the very thread where the discussion is being held. I also talked with Tempest and he said it's fine to discuss it here.

Do yall just want to... make another thread

I was fine just waiting for the overall speed discussion thread.

I didn't realize that a thread like that required everything to be settled first with no further discussion, as Wrath suggests.

I'm with Arc tbh. What's the point of proposing the calc in the first place if we won't discuss it? If y'all want this thread to be 100% dedicated to the removal of the old calc, then just remove the new calc's portion of the OP.

Part of my issues have been satisfactorily answered by KT already. Double-checking some stuff with another CGM before pressing on with the other issues in this thread.

What other issues are there that need to be addressed?

Just waiting on a response from a CGM I've messaged about the methods used. I don't think the calcs are inherently wrong, but I've got some queries about the overall speed plus the perception speed calcs, but depending on the response they might not be significant concerns. Don't think this will take longer than today to get resolved, hopefully. (If I'm right, it may mean both an upgrade and a downgrade)

Just waiting on a response from a CGM I've messaged about the methods used. I don't think the calcs are inherently wrong, but I've got some queries about the overall speed plus the perception speed calcs, but depending on the response they might not be significant concerns. Don't think this will take longer than today to get resolved, hopefully. (If I'm right, it may mean both an upgrade and a downgrade)
Why not just message them here about it?

Why not just message them here about it?
Simpler just to get it sorted out directly than back-and-forth posting.

To give an update, of the two issues I had remaining, one of them is no longer a problem for me.

Waiting on the other one to be answered, but it's late so I'll be going offline shortly. Will give update tomorrow.

Going off site to discuss a calc woth someone relating to a calc while there is a revision thread open for said feat seems very suspicious.

Going off site to discuss a calc woth someone relating to a calc while there is a revision thread open for said feat seems very suspicious.
I've already discussed the calc with KT privately plenty of times before, and done so for countless other calcs in the past with other users. Trust me, instant messaging is just was preferable to posting on a forum for me personally.

Can you really blame me for it though? To me it would make more sense to discuss this in a thread created for this feats discussion. It would also help people who later visit this thread to understand what the issues were and how a solution came to be.

Can you really blame me for it though? To me it would make more sense to discuss this in a thread created for this feats discussion. It would also help people who later visit this thread to understand what the issues were and how a solution came to be.
Nah, I get where you're coming from. But there's nothing malicious going on here.

I don't care whether the feat ends up higher or lower, just aiming for accuracy. And I'll only post an issue on here if it turns out to be a genuine issue and not just me getting confused about something.

I agree with WoI. Discussing this stuff off site makes me believe we CGM have no voice regarding this. Why don't you state your issues with the calc here so we can help you?

I agree with WoI. Discussing this stuff off site makes me believe we CGM have no voice regarding this. Why don't you state your issues with the calc here so we can help you?
I will be posting an issue I have with the calc tomorrow morning. But if I can get a point of confusion answered relatively quickly for me off-site by someone, then I'm going to opt to do that instead of posting about it here when it could just be a non-issue and wasting your time. It might be different to how you'd do it, but that just makes sense to me.

Anyway, this is getting close to just derailing the thread, so I'll stop for tonight and get back to this tomorrow morning.

EDIT: Oh, this is also slightly related, but please stop by this thread if you have time: https://vsbattles.com/threads/lightning-feats-value.133488/

Okay, so I have an issue with the two perception speed calculations.

Which assumes that the characters involved did not start percieving the attack until it was 1.44 meters away from Shikamaru.

This is the sequence of the feat.

Shikamaru and Choji are staring in Kakuzu's direction, seeing the attack get charged up and fired towards them meaning they had ample time for their brains to register what was going on before it reached that distance. I don't see a reason to assume that they reacted to Kakashi jumping in there before he blocked the lightning so that doesn't work for perception speed either.

Okay, so I have an issue with the two perception speed calculations.

Which assumes that the characters involved did not start percieving the attack until it was 1.44 meters away from Shikamaru.

This is the sequence of the feat.

Shikamaru and Choji are staring in Kakuzu's direction, seeing the attack get charged up and fired towards them meaning they had ample time for their brains to register what was going on before it reached that distance. I don't see a reason to assume that they reacted to Kakashi jumping in there before he blocked the lightning so that doesn't work for perception speed either.
Not only that, but the databook states that the technique is difficult to anticipate.
I think you bring up a fair point, but there's also this scan that the heart string thingies attacks are hard to anticipate which could justify KT's calc assumptions. Something to consider.

I think you bring up a fair point, but there's also this scan that the heart string thingies attacks are hard to anticipate which could justify KT's calc assumptions. Something to consider.
That's a different technique. But I take that statement more in the sense that there isn't as much build-up to it as a usual jutsu as hand signs aren't involved (it's just shot out from the mask) but that doesn't impede them seeing it still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back