• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Justify melee combat in your world.

Haven't written anything for it and can't claim it as my own Fallout Equestria is just Fallout with magic so...granted some really bullshit magic but that doesn't mean hooves don't get thrown.

some characters are so fast that they can sometimes just outpace projectiles

just like any good old bullet timer in fiction

guns are powerful in my verse, but some people are just so fast that they can keep up with the rounds they fire, whether its bullets or lasers or whatever

to give context for the power of guns in my verse, they can scale to a character's AP, which can be anywhere from 8-C to 4-A

Yes

qFtnEPp2pvk37bnISQRXeHd1HOJ4E3c_voZzm3A7NMc.png

virgin "b-b-b-but guns are useless in fiction" vs gigachad "casually pops a cap in a Low 2-C without flinching"

virgin "b-b-b-but guns are useless in fiction" vs gigachad "casually pops a cap in a Low 2-C without flinching"
virgin "casually pops a cap in a Low 2-C without flinching" vs omegagigaultragodchad "casually right hooks a 2-A outta the stratosphere with style"

melee combat is the superior form of war.

You never did. All I am saying is that melee combat is the superior form of battle. Never insinuated you thought it was bad in the slightest.

Melee combat happens in my world because literally everybody here are genius martial artists with a variety of different techniques and styles that render weapons obsolete — get with the times, Mousse. Also, most of the main cast and villains are teenagers, so they are legally not allowed to own a firearm.

Are we talking about actual verses or our own creations any way.
In a large number of verses there are three explains.

1. Everyone important is tougher than a normal gun can put down.

2. There are no guns or they aren't reliable/common limited amo and lots of resources are needed some hard to maintain.

3. Not the characters style, guns are mean to kill some characters don't want to do that, find guns dishonorable, or trama involving guns.

It's good to see a set, clear, and functional dichotomy between how different characters approach combat. But it should have some base clarification for faction or role balance. For me, It's fun to see a decently reasoned variety of fighting styles get implemented.

Are we talking about actual verses or our own creations any way.
In a large number of verses there are three explains.

1. Everyone important is tougher than a normal gun can put down.

2. There are no guns or they aren't reliable/common limited amo and lots of resources are needed some hard to maintain.

3. Not the characters style, guns are mean to kill some characters don't want to do that, find guns dishonorable, or trama involving guns.
There's also the fact that you can't train yourself so that you can fire a gun to do more damage than it would otherwise. No room for growing in power.

Make the gun do some kind of wacky nonsense, not necessarily something strong, but different and individually unique.

Pic is an Assault Carbine that enchants the armor piercing rounds it fires to ignite into flames when it hits tissue.

d7auzz2-c7d860b6-8a81-4838-90d0-1ed4d6d45517.png

Make the gun do some kind of wacky nonsense, not necessarily something strong, but different and individually unique.

Pic is an Assault Carbine that enchants the armor piercing rounds it fires to ignite into flames when it hits tissue.

d7auzz2-c7d860b6-8a81-4838-90d0-1ed4d6d45517.png
What the heck is that grip, looks annoying to hold

Gmodder getting wacky with the model? Didn't notice it until now.

Why is the grip bent back- That's gonna be pressing on your wrist and shit and you'll have to hold the gun sideways lol.

Anyway the question was for our own stories to put it simply in my world there exist energized beings that can turn into, manipulate, and absorb energy and are highly resistance to most other methods to harm them so they try to destabilize each other by adding or removing energy and energy in your physical form is the easiest to control to preform this task.

Anyway the question was for our own stories to put it simply in my world there exist energized beings that can turn into, manipulate, and absorb energy and are highly resistance to most other methods to harm them so they try to destabilize each other by adding or removing energy and energy in your physical form is the easiest to control to preform this task.
It's pretty different but that phrasing reminds me of personal shields from Dune.

Me gushing a bit on the tech despite not having read the books: Just by looking at the first few fights I could see the progression of energy shields that work based on velocity rendering ranged weapons obsolete but after a period of sword-based combat the shields adapted to need a much slower velocity than before, to the point that they're a lot of "slow motion" techniques to get around this. Assassins having projectiles that slow down right before reaching the shield and often take several seconds to hit their target (also seeing one hit a certain someone in a hard to reach spot on his back showed great skill in this sort of thing) is the main thing I remember besides the obvious idea of having sword strikes slow down at a pivotal moment. There are scenes where shields run out of power but it's portrayed as impractical to try this sort of thing when you don't have your opponent massively outnumbered.

Back