• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Okay, so here's the deal. Glass Joe is the weakest boxer of the entire boxing scene, scoring in 99 losses and a single win, that win officially stated to be a freak accident against Nick Bruiser and a ludonarrative dissonance. Glass Joe also downscales from literally everything in the Punch Out universe. See, in the Punch-Out universe, the Minor Circuit is their equivalent to amateur boxing. Don Flamenco, whose bull feat put him and others at comparable and higher levels at 114.1 kilojoules, is the champion of the Major Circuit. The Major Circuit would basically be the equivalent of a national professional boxing championship whereas the World Circuit is, as the name implies, the world championship. Glass Joe only got on the same level as Little Mac after getting headgear!

Directly comparing Glass Joe to Don Flamenco, Don Flamenco needed to be tired to be KO'd with a 3-star Star Punch from Little Mac. Glass Joe, on the other hand, can be one-shot by a Star Punch of any degree while mostly energized. Speed-wise, while Piston Hondo can be likened to a bullet train, the definition of those things vary ranging from 200 to 250 km/h, or 55.55 to 69.44 m/s (median value of 62.5 m/s).

As for Ivan Draco, Ivan Draco netted a punch force of 2150 PSI, which assuming 4 inches of impact area, would equate to 8600 lbs or 38254.7 newtons. Assuming 0.8 meters for how far he punched from a simple arm-length punch (since his punches in the testing done were fairly dinky in the GIF sourced: ), this would put Draco's KE at 30603.8 joules. Ivan Draco was the World Heavyweight Champion until Rocky came along, with 31 wins (all by knockout, with one near-instant death goddamn!) and only one loss ever (against Rocky Balboa!). I punched in the numbers of Ivan's punch on Omni Calculator based on the timeframe of one of Ivan's training punches in the linked GIF (approx. 0.2 seconds) and got a figure of 65 m/s: https://prnt.sc/oTm3naruDn8B

Oh, and by the way, Ivan basically dura-stomped Apollo Creed, and dura-stomping another world champion is something else entirely!:

VBW doesn't exactly have a precedent for no-selling or tanking attacks despite having a precedent for one-shotting someone (7.5x his opponent's durability it seems), so I dunno how well Ivan Draco tanking Apollo Creed would scale to Draco's durability through any means.

So basically, I'm pitting two boxers with an AP gap of ≤3.73x, but the weaker one is a champion that tanked world champion punches while the stronger one is a loser who can't take a serious hit from a newbie!

That being said, the battle will be set up like a boxing match in that both fighters would start in two corners opposite of each other and speed... Eh, I don't think speed matters that much since Ivan only has a 6.8% speed disadvantage over Glass Joe at Joe's fastest, and even then I'm pretty sure Glass Joe downscales from Piston Hondo anyway because, of course, Glass Joe downscales from everyone.

That being said, here are their profiles:

Ivan Drago's Profile
Glass Joe's Profile

Who takes this?

The Champion: 7 (Ikelaggan, SheevShezarrine, CuteAnimeNekoGirl99, Peppersalt43, Da3ggman, CBslayeR, ZoroNotZolo)
The Loser: 0
Inconclusive: 0

Last edited:
I feel like glass Joe would definitely be some what of a tanky opponent but in terms of stamina I don't see him lasting too long into a round 2. I'd give this to drago with mid-diff

I feel like glass Joe would definitely be some what of a tanky opponent but in terms of stamina I don't see him lasting too long into a round 2. I'd give this to drago with mid-diff
Yeah, I'd expect about as much coming from a French dude whose name is literally a play on the phrase "glass jaw."

Joe's choice of engaging is to block and block and block until he sees his own opponent tires out and then unleashes a very aggressive offense

Joe might be able to do this if gifted his headgear however he does kinda **** himself over with his own signature move and Drago's overall aggressiveness is going to be far too much for joe to handle and such a simple strategy is going to be easily blown through

So Joe! (Sorry I accidentally hit send too quickly) Is ******! Drago wins :3

Yeah nah, 4 square inches of area for Drago's fist is just gratuitously wrong. That's like, midget size for your fist's impact area (DontTalkDT must have some pretty small hands). I'm 5ft 9in, hilariously malnourished weighing in at less than 100 lbs and even I have a fist impact area of roughly 7.6 square inches (0.0049 m^2), meanwhile, Drago's like what, 1.93 meters with gigantic hands compared to mine, so... doing the math and assuming the force was applied over a foot (Which would be appropriate for someone like Drago sending guys like Rocky waltzing 15 feet across the ring)...

2150 psi = 1.4824e+7 pascal

1.4824e+7 * 0.0049 = 72637.6 N

Applied over a foot or 0.3048 meters (Since that machine is on springs and has a hard cap on how far the punch can be reasonably applied as opposed to actual opponents, plus most boxing measuring tools use ft-lbs)...

72637.6 * 0.3048 = 22139.94048 J (Wall level)

Yeah I already mentioned this in another calc-related thread for Drago but that went nowhere.

Somebody cure my eating disorder then 💀
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Kirby

Screen_Shot_2022_07_12_at_10.55.30_AM.0.png

Yeah nah, 4 square inches of area for Drago's fist is just gratuitously wrong. That's like, midget size for your fist's impact area (DontTalkDT must have some pretty small hands). I'm 5ft 9in, hilariously malnourished weighing in at less than 100 lbs and even I have a fist impact area of roughly 7.6 square inches (0.0049 m^2), meanwhile, Drago's like what, 1.93 meters with gigantic hands compared to mine, so... doing the math and assuming the force was applied over a foot (Which would be appropriate for someone like Drago sending guys like Rocky waltzing 15 feet across the ring)...

2150 psi = 1.4824e+7 pascal

1.4824e+7 * 0.0049 = 72637.6 N

Applied over a foot or 0.3048 meters (Since that machine is on springs and has a hard cap on how far the punch can be reasonably applied as opposed to actual opponents, plus most boxing measuring tools use ft-lbs)...

72637.6 * 0.3048 = 22139.94048 J (Wall level)

Yeah I already mentioned this in another calc-related thread for Drago but that went nowhere.
5'6" (167.64 cm) and healthier here (135 lbs). Why not take my fist? It's a better representation of the ordeal.:
Bsp1LPE.jpg

Basically square-cube law Ivan from me and you should get a more accurate surface area. Don't worry about the grooves; boxing gloves basically make grooves disappear.

5'6" (167.64 cm) and healthier here (135 lbs). Why not take my fist? It's a better representation of the ordeal.:
Bsp1LPE.jpg

Basically square-cube law Ivan from me and you should get a more accurate surface area. Don't worry about the grooves; boxing gloves basically make grooves disappear.
Also, found the most muscular guy in my workplace and asked him to put his hand in a fist for me:
1X7lGcZ.jpg

Dude's about 6'6" (he told me himself), only an inch taller than Drago, so you may get a slightly more accurate result from him.

Also, found the most muscular guy in my workplace and asked him to put his hand in a fist for me:
1X7lGcZ.jpg

Dude's about 6'6" (he told me himself), only an inch taller than Drago, so you may get a slightly more accurate result from him.
Holy shit, talk about a beast. (Wonder if I should make a workout forum where you can talk about your accomplishments and ask questions?)

1X7lGcZ.jpg

That's more like it LOL

Bsp1LPE.jpg

Nice hand!

Thanks. But yeah, I try my best to get the most accurate results. (I mean, let's be real, a malnourished guy isn't the best reference to use for a boxer).
That's more like it LOL
Okay, so now that I'm back home from work, may as well get to work on this. So, in this photo, the width of the fist of my coworker is about 8.9 cm (from the 3.2 cm to the 12.1 cm line). https://prnt.sc/t5F25sRZAxFC

That length is 1986.1 px long in the photo. The area, according to the Histogram tool and some Pen Tool usage, is 2628670 square pixels: https://prnt.sc/Jhh_zGQmtfyx

Let's see how large that is.

8.9/1986.1=0.004481144 cm per pixel
0.004481144²*2628670=52.78540514 cm²

That's 52.78540514 cm² or 8.1817541602083 square inches.

At this point, I'll put in Drago's figure of 2150 psi. In this case, it would be around 17590.77144 lbf. This is around 78247.64977 newtons. Bear in mind, this is a bare fist. A boxing glove likely increases the surface area. In any case...

Going off a single foot, we get this:

78247.64977*0.3048=23849.88365 joules

However, applying it over Drago's entire arm length (note that a good punch involves some follow-through, so I think it works), I get this:

78247.64977*0.8=62598.11981 joules

Never had I seen the day where I'd use a real-world reference for a fictional character's punch of all things.

Okay, so an update, whereas @KLOL506 was right to assume a foot for distance, this study had Frank Bruno's punch force measured at 4096 newtons over a distance of 0.49 meters: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3936571/

If I were to apply Ivan Drago's punch over that study's particular distance, this is what I got.:

78247.64977*0.49=38341.34839 joules

Drago FRA, he should still just pulverize him with skill unless he has his headgear on

In which case he goes for the nose

Okay, so an update, whereas @KLOL506 was right to assume a foot for distance, this study had Frank Bruno's punch force measured at 4096 newtons over a distance of 0.49 meters: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3936571/

If I were to apply Ivan Drago's punch over that study's particular distance, this is what I got.:

78247.64977*0.49=38341.34839 joules
Damn, Frank Bruno's punch could exert force that far, huh.

Damn, Frank Bruno's punch could exert force that far, huh.
Some boxers have some insane real-life feats. If you read what Sonny Liston and Earnie Shavers did with their punches, it would be like reading some comic or watching a cartoon. It's some ridiculous stuff.

That being said...

Glass Joe has a considerable edge in physicals, and while it a significant difference, it ain't that bad. I actually would bet that Drago matches, if not outright exceeds Joe's speed, considering how he should downscale .(although not by much, greater speed differences than that would be way too blatant)

Drago outskills Joe by far, and is also a lot tougher, mentally, and I believe he has superior reach from his greater height and frame - which is very important in this match. The problem is, at that level of strength, and them being essentially unarmed, Drago will get screwed up, particularly as his level of skill isn't on the superhuman side, at least not by much. He will defend, parry and weave as well as he can, and will certainly land more shots than Joe, but every single hit that Joe hits will be very bad for Drago, potentially an instant knockout if they land on something like his liver or chin.

What really helps Drago here, though, is how mentally fragile Joe is. Joe is incredibly hesitant and on the defensive in most of the time, with a clearly telegraphed and overly aggressive offense, Drago has a legitimate possibility for victory through sheer skill despite the very significant difference in strength.

I vote for Drago, and I believe it will be a difficult fight - but a weird one. Most of Joe's blows will whiff and Drago will be continually beating him up, particularly as he has lackluster stamina compared to Drago's massive one, but every single hit Drago takes will count and will hurt a lot, and when fighting at this level, with human opponents, at similar ranges, comparable speeds and without blatantly superhuman skill at play, he will be hit by something eventually. Any hit will reduce his chances of victory and potentially one-shot.

I'm not sure if I'm correct but I think everyone in Punch-Out actually heavily downscales from Sandman who is 599 KJ but as Flashlight pointed out, Joe falls EVEN FURTHER below those guys so Drago should not only still take this fight but with greater ease than initially.

Yeah to be honest, Mac is the only one who should scale directly to Sandman because everybody else gets wiped easily.
I'll say this: Mac trains before every circuit, IE, he gets stronger each one, so in TD, we would be downscaling from Sandman(I think, I don't know 100%)

I'll say this: Mac trains before every circuit, IE, he gets stronger each one, so in TD, we would be downscaling from Sandman(I think, I don't know 100%)
Oh I get it, because everyone fights Mac after he had beaten Sandman and gotten stronger so they downscale.

Last edited:
Back