• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is the alternative method for finding Richter Scale good to use for shorter distances?

My main issue with the low ends is it seems deflated as it uses the population density of a city for a small town, which obviously will lead to the town appearing very small. If I could find a town of similar population and take its size, or even better find a historical account on the area of Salem back during the Witch Trials, I feel it would give a more accurate number

My main issue with the low ends is it seems deflated as it uses the population density of a city for a small town, which obviously will lead to the town appearing very small. If I could find a town of similar population and take its size, or even better find a historical account on the area of Salem back during the Witch Trials, I feel it would give a more accurate number
Yeah i agree the current method is odd, the other two sound much better

Also i think the formula should be fine for those ranges

The English Parish of Great Barford has a population of 1,930 and an area of 11.505212808883 square kilometres, should I use that for the low ends instead?

DT said it'd need to be over a large enough area, like hundreds of meters or so.

Peak ground acceleration could work (For the mass of the object you're shaking, classic KE calc) but unfortunately that requires a shit-ton of factors that might be missing from the picture like frequency, adequate measurements of the objects etc.

DT said it'd need to be over a large enough area, like hundreds of meters or so.

Peak ground acceleration could work (For the mass of the object you're shaking, classic KE calc) but unfortunately that requires a shit-ton of factors that might be missing from the picture like frequency, adequate measurements of the objects etc.
The lowest number used is around 554 metres, so the formula should be good to go for all ends

I wanted to ask for mid and high ends do you believe I should use a circle and find radius and diameter there as well? Or should I stick to just a line through actual Salem

Yeah they say over 150m is good and the earthquake extends well over that even with a heavily deflated and soon to be updated end

The English Parish of Great Barford has a population of 1,930 and an area of 11.505212808883 square kilometres, should I use that for the low ends instead?
I wanted to ask for mid and high ends do you believe I should use a circle and find radius and diameter there as well? Or should I stick to just a line through actual Salem
^^

Back