• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

In a VS Match, do we assume that a character can swim

Humans are naturally buoyant. Its basic physics. The pressure from down below when higher then the pressure pushing down naturally pushes people upwards. Rather simple stuff. There are factors that offset this of course, such as weight, upper and lower body strength, cardio, density, respiration rate etc. Of course there are more extenuating circumstances such as the density and volume of the water, and of course the pressure pushing both upwards and downwards upon the person, but for the most part a relatively fit person should have no issue staying buoyant (as long as they don't flail around and waste energy).

So, yeah it is true.
I'm sorry to tell you that there's countless real-world examples to counter your "basic physics." I shouldn't have to tell you that the real world is far more complicated than that. The theoretical math does not matter when we know for certain from example that people who cannot swim will drown when thrown into water.

If it was so easy for people to simply float, then so many people wouldn't drown. You have your false assumption baked into your argument right there: "(as long as they don't flail around and waste energy)". People who have zero experience swimming are not well-informed on how to safely stay afloat. They will make all of the mistakes which lead to people drowning.

Even dumbasses can swim to some extent when there's a need to.

That's like assuming one can't climb a simple wall because not everyone does parkour.

I don't know what to say, but most people aren't exactly as physically fit as the people im picturing in my head. Also, sure i can extend my level of disbelief to a certain extent, but i categorically refuse the notion that anyone beyond a subpar intelligence wouldn't try and keep still rather than flaff about. This is a battle wiki, people here fight for the most part, they'd have base level knowledge just by using logic.

I don't know what to say, but most people aren't exactly as physically fit as the people im picturing in my head. Also, sure i can extend my level of disbelief to a certain extent, but i categorically refuse the notion that anyone beyond a subpar intelligence wouldn't try and keep still rather than flaff about. This is a battle wiki, people here fight for the most part, they'd have base level knowledge just by using logic.
And I don't see how knowing how to fight extends to water safety knowledge in a character who has never swam in their life and doesn't even live around water.

Also most animals know how to swim naturally practical any animal that walks on four legs can doggy paddle at least even desert dwellers like the camels only ones they have an anatomy that prevents them don’t that said is partly because we live in a world with water it is so common if they don’t life near a liquid it can reasonably be assumed the don’t know how to swim.

One we assume that a character can remain floating if its density allows it and is not a complete incompetent, granted the waters are calm. However, without feats, the character most certain will get a great handicap while mostly summerged, not to think about underwater fighting.

And I don't see how knowing how to fight extends to water safety knowledge in a character who has never swam in their life and doesn't even live around water.
Yeah when you change what the question is, it sounds siller doesn't it? Buoyancy is shit you learn in Primary school. Swimming lessons also. It's also all over the media in franchises and in adverts. Id like to say the average person would know this info. So why shouldn't we assume these character's if given the assumption they also have an average level intelligence or more.

One we assume that a character can remain floating if its density allows it and is not a complete incompetent, granted the waters are calm. However, without feats, the character most certain will get a great handicap while mostly summerged, not to think about underwater fighting.
That truly just depends on the water itself, something i've highlighted as "extenuating circumstances" because Nierre's question doesn't give us much food for thought.

Technically, Nierre's question is just if they could swim or not, not if they could find a way to not drown.

Whilst true, i personally only care for the notion of whether or not they drown. Naturally knowing swimming as an argument is something honestly im not even sure i believe in lol (Yall changed my mind), but NOT drowning, that's something i believe they should have the capability to do so.

Ngl the fact that it sparks such debate makes me wonder why we even try using mathematics above highschool level when "can dude swim?" is enough to lose people
VsB has two sides:

Use math to explain why this verse is uncountably infinity superior into an innacsible triple AAA dura cell battery 18 GIGS RAM with RTX 4000K with Green Blue Red RGB Light into Boundless.

Can dude swim?

You can't swim if you a devil fruit user's, but you can Swim if you Senor Pink.

This is one of critical Question I've ever seen!

Electricity Manip: Our body works due to electric signs
Fragance Manip: Fart
Healing: we heal
Acid Manip: Via Stomach
Absorption: Our cells absorb food
Sound Manip: Whistle
Natural Weaponry: Teeth, Nails
Life Manip: Via Sex
Dream Manip: we Dream
Water Manip: Pee

Last edited:
biological manipulation : we're aging
social influencing : politics
Higher dimensional manipulation : we're higher beings relative to 1D and 2D beings

time to make a tier 0 character with tier 0 water manipulation and immortality+regeneration negation+capability of affecting abstracts and coepts

I guess it was inevitable this thread that had legitimate discussion about the subject would end up like this...

Most people here (myself included) should all get some varying degrees of corruption tbh.

If i was scaleable, it'd be the first time omnipotence was considered on the wiki.

Back