• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

I'm in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My condolences... I wish I had any meaningful advice, but I'm afraid I don't exactly know how I'd deal with this sort of situation.

I wouldn't pay this person, personally, at any rate. Not only on the principle of people of this sort ought not to be rewarded, but also on account of there being very little guarantee that they'll actually follow through, and give back the account once the payment's made.

Diinou HotHead said:
Guys.

What will happen if the hacker's reading us disscussing this?
That's a good question, and one I'd hope doesn't come up. I would bring this to the police as soon as you possibly can. It's their job specifically to deal with crises like these, and even if the information is leaked they should be able to help control the damage.

I agree with Kepekley23 that it seems safest to pay him the ransom and hope for the best in lack of better options, and whatever you do, do not antagonise him.

Also, make sure to include a description of which account you want him to unlock when you make the transaction.

@Perpetual

I, of course, feel just as disgusted as you, but we have the added bonus of being easily capable of charging back the cash at any time if he doesn't hold up to the bargain (or even if he does), so it's a nearly-guaranteed win-win, or, at least, no-loss situatin.

I should point out that if he was able to break into your Gmail account, and is capable of tracking you if you show his Facebook account or PayPal email to anyone, it's possible (in fact, I'd say it's very likely) that he will be more than capable of commandeering your PayPal and whatever's on it once you send him the intial transaction amount he is asking for.

Linked credit cards, bank information, prior transaction history, and anything else you yourself can see on your PayPal will be his to do with as he pleases if he manages to get into it. You need to keep that in mind.

@Antvasima

I'm not sure if you should alert the FANDOM staff. This might sound minor to them.

Yes, I'm avoiding antagonizing him at all costs. I am scared as all hell right now, so that was never an option. The stuff he has access to threatens my direct Family and work. The only thing I have on him is that he is 99% likely to be from the Southern Hemisphere.

@Everyone

There's no possibility of him knowing of my access to this wiki unless he had some sort of malware installed that allowed him to track my history, which is unlikely, since otherwise he'd have probably tried to raid my Paypal and my credit card. I used a disposable/fake email to register to VBW, which means it has absolute zero connections to Gmail and isn't connected to the one he hacked.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
I should point out that if he was able to break into your Gmail account, and is capable of tracking you if you show his Facebook account or PayPal email to anyone, it's possible (in fact, I'd say it's very likely) that he will be more than capable of commandeering your PayPal and whatever's on it once you send him the intial transaction amount he is asking for.

Linked credit cards, bank information, prior transaction history, and anything else you yourself can see on your PayPal will be his to do with as he pleases if he manages to get into it. You need to keep that in mind.
What is good about this situation is that my bro's Paypal email is from an old Hotmail account that has zero connections to the Gmail account he is currently latching into. The only way for him to obtain my Paypal access would be through a phishing website, which fortunately hasn't happened yet.

If you say so. I still recommend snipping whatever information you can out of that account if you do go through with the transaction, if only temporarily. The small details can be surprisingly serious tools for hackers of this type, and as I said, he's probably more than capable of breaking into that account once the transaction is done.

Also...

ParadoxIndifferent said:
@Antvasima I'm not sure if you should alert the FANDOM staff. This might sound minor to them.
If FANDOM deems something like this to be "minor", I'm openly boycotting them for the rest of the time I spend on this planet.

Once this problem is resolved, I'd recommend setting up a 2 step authentication process on your gmail account. It doesn't allow anyone to log in unless they have physical access to your phone.

It is true that Fandom mostly tasked with things that are happening on Fandom platforms, but if it's a serious crime and especially ones that endanger important members, they will support their users. Sure they can't really do anything to people who troll on Google, but stuff like borderline terrorism or uploading cp under innocent people here's username and avatars are still stuff Fandom takes very seriously.

The Fandom staff member who responded to me so far unfortunately did not know how to handle this any better than we do.

How can you be so sure this guy isn't doing some sort of late April Fool's Prank on you and the blocked Gmail thing is a false alarm? If what you're saying is true, I highly recommend you actually try to not pay him, because I think he is scamming you and wont give the account back. Just go contact the police.

@MrKing

Are you sure that sending the hacker 45$ with an unrelated Paypal account will somehow allow him to hack that account as well? It seems counter-intuitive to me.

These types of account hacks are usually achieved due to security breaches within Google itself, with lists of leaked passwords uploaded to Pastebin.

Personally I still think that 45$ is not a lot of money to pay for something as important as this, so it seems safest to pay and hope for the best, as not doing so would be disastrous, and the Swedish police is overwhelmed with handling all the murders and rapes within our country, and do not have much technical expertise, so they are unlikely to be able to help, but I am not experienced regarding this type of issue.

@MrKing

Assuming no phishing and no malware, the only thing he can achieve through Paypal would be my address, since that can be seen by anyone who trades with you in that plaform, and that wouldn't be useful to him unless he wanted to take a plane and hold me at gunpoint, which is fortunately one of the few things we can dismiss as ridiculous and exaggerated.

Yes, I agree with Paradox that it seems best to pay and stay very polite with the hacker, in lack of better options.

Also, I would like to donate some money to you, but then I would have to reveal my real identity, as my Paypal account is not incognito, so I am too paranoid to do so. My apologies.

Please ask some friends and family if they are willing to help you out as well.

someone mightve already said this, but cant u contact google, and try to cancel, or lockdown ur gmail for the moment?

make a new email, use that for now, while u work on the gmail one

Antvasima said:
Also, I would like to donate some money to you, but then I would have to reveal my real identity, as my Paypal account is not incognito, so I am too paranoid to do so. My apologies.
Please ask some friends and family if they are willing to help you out as well.
Then why not make it incognito?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back