• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

I have several question toward calculation group members

Can we use the propulsion speed of a jump to determine an AP by kinetic energy with this calculator?

When is the ((r / 0.28) ^ 3) / n * 4.184e+15 = J explosion mid-air formula used exactly, what is the precise rule to respect so that this formula is usable and not another one? Mid-air explosion is not precise enough, I have seen calculations using it just to calculate the force of a blast when we have another formula for that.

Concerning water vaporisation feats, Currently we calculate the energy needed to change the temperature of water to its boiling point and we add the heat of vaporization in j/kg. Wouldn't it be fairer to count ONLY the energy released by a change in temperature since vaporization follows naturally without any further intervention, and add the heat of vaporization/fusion only when the required temperature is exceeded?

The method we use to calculate the energy released when air is transformed into ice, used here for example, and which takes a long time to do could be simplified by IceCC * (1.11615 * Ambiant°C + 486.073).
Try it, it works. I promise. The difference between the real results and those of this formula is 0.0000619%, and the pain is reduced by 99%. This simplification is possible because of the very high number of constants in the calculation. I think it would be worthwhile to list it on the calculation methods page.

What formula should be used to calculate the energy released by the friction of an object on the ground? (For example, by making a heavy object do a 180° turn on the ground by hitting it)?

Concerning the formula to calculate the power of a shock wave (AirDensity/BlastDuration^2)*(BlastRadius/RationOfSpecificHeatOfAir)^5, what is the ratio of specific heat of air? Is it just the Specific Heat of air?

Can we calculate the power of a shock wave by knowing what effects it had at a specific distance from its center?

How can we know the speed of a projectile at a certain distance from its starting point? How can we know its deceleration ?

When does the Potential gravitational energy switch from that Ep = M*g*h to that Ep = |(G*M*m)/r1 - (G*M*m)/r2|? I've tried with a lot of different height and differtent weight, and different planets also, it always gives results almost identicals. (Like less than 0.01% of difference)

Expect more questions coming soon, I'm currently making a giga-calculator, and I'm going through all the calcs one by one to get formulas. ^^

Last edited:
When is the ((r / 0.28) ^ 3) / n * 4.184e+15 = J explosion mid-air formula used exactly, what is the precise rule to respect so that this formula is usable and not another one? Mid-air explosion is not precise enough, I have seen calculations using it just to calculate the force of a blast when we have another formula for that.
Exactly as the name says, in Mid-Air. The formula is derived from the stardestroyer nuke calc as per its near-total fatalities radius counter. The other formula is the fireball formula, but that's explicitly for the explosive fireball, not the actual shockwave.

Can we use the propulsion speed of a jump to determine an AP by kinetic energy with this calculator?
Not unless you cross a certain mass limit. 200 kg.

Concerning the formula to calculate the power of a shock wave (AirDensity/BlastDuration^2)*(BlastRadius/RationOfSpecificHeatOfAir)^5, what is the ratio of specific heat of air? Is it just the Specific Heat of air?
This formula was rejected a year ago.

Can we calculate the power of a shock wave by knowing what effects it had at a specific distance from its center?
Yes, inverse-square law is what you're looking for, it can be used to find both the potency of an explosion at a certain distance from the epicenter, as well as the true power at the epicenter while knowing the damage it causes at a certain distance. The Earth version of the formula escapes me, but there is a cosmic version.

E = 4 * GBE of the body in joules * (Explosion Radius/Target Body Radius)^2

How can we know the speed of a projectile at a certain distance from its starting point? How can we know its deceleration ?
Unless it's IRL projectiles we're talking about (Good old velocity drop), you can't, unless you have cinematic footage of it slowing down from which you can scavenge something of value.

When does the Potential gravitational energy switch from that Ep = M*g*h to that Ep = |(G*M*m)/r1 - (G*M*m)/r2|? I've tried with a lot of different height and differtent weight, and different planets also, it always gives results almost identicals. (Like less than 0.01% of difference)
Mgh is for within Earth's borders. The other formula is when you send stuff out into space.

The rest of the questions I think are more up @DontTalkDT and @Executor_N0's alley.

Last edited:
Projectile motion is fine to get speed. If it's just the character moving AP is questionable (See KE rules)

Is in principle for when the explosion starts in the air. Since it's for explosion detonated at the optimal height for destruction specifically, it is always a low-end and can hence be used theoretically for any height, including for ground explosions.

Concerning water vaporisation feats, Currently we calculate the energy needed to change the temperature of water to its boiling point and we add the heat of vaporization in j/kg. Wouldn't it be fairer to count ONLY the energy released by a change in temperature since vaporization follows naturally without any further intervention, and add the heat of vaporization/fusion only when the required temperature is exceeded?
No, without adding the heat of vaporization the vaporization actually doesn't happen

Take a pot of water for example. If you just bring the water to 100°C it won't be vaporized. Once it boils you need to wait a long time and add a lot of energy for it to boil, during which time the water remains at 100°C.

Basically, the state change doesn't happen until you paid the heat of vaporization.

The method we use to calculate the energy released when air is transformed into ice, used here for example, and which takes a long time to do could be simplified by IceCC * (1.11615 * Ambiant°C + 486.073).
Try it, it works. I promise. The difference between the real results and those of this formula is 0.0000619%, and the pain is reduced by 99%. This simplification is possible because of the very high number of constants in the calculation. I think it would be worthwhile to list it on the calculation methods page.
Any derivation for that formula? Would make things easier to check.

What formula should be used to calculate the energy released by the friction of an object on the ground? (For example, by making a heavy object do a 180° turn on the ground by hitting it)?
For a decent approximation, you can use the coefficient of friction, I suppose. With that you can get an estimate of the force opposing the movement. Then all you need to do is to integrate that force over the moved distance.

That's essentially what our regular airblast formula is doing, with the effect in question being "nearly every regular human dies and/or immense devastation". There is also a version of lesser destruction somewhere... would need to look for it.

We usually don't, except certain circumstances apply (such as friction being negligible for example). In most cases, average speeds work for us, though.

Depends on how accurate you need your values to be. If the height is small compared to the planet radius generally they are approximately the same.

This formula was rejected a year ago.
Is there currently a formula to know the energy released by a shockwave?

Yes, inverse-square law is what you're looking for, it can be used to find both the potency of an explosion at a certain distance from the epicenter, as well as the true power at the epicenter while knowing the damage it causes at a certain distance. The Earth version of the formula escapes me, but there is a cosmic version.

E = 4 * GBE of the body in joules * (Explosion Radius/Target Body Radius)^2
I'm talking about shockwaves without an explosion. Like, a shckwave that start at a pressure of 1.3785bars, what pressure does it have at 20 meters of its epicenter? That kind of thing ^^

Mgh is for within Earth's borders. The other formula is when you send stuff out into space.
Okay but, the results are like always the same, I asked because I don't get why we make a difference. Shouldn't the second be usable everywhere?

Projectile motion is fine to get speed. If it's just the character moving AP is questionable (See KE rules)
What if it's a character jumping really far? If we know the distance and the angle, can we use the launch speed to define KE?

Is in principle for when the explosion starts in the air. Since it's for explosion detonated at the optimal height for destruction specifically
What do you mean by that?

No, without adding the heat of vaporization the vaporization actually doesn't happen

Take a pot of water for example. If you just bring the water to 100°C it won't be vaporized. Once it boils you need to wait a long time and add a lot of energy for it to boil, during which time the water remains at 100°C.

Basically, the state change doesn't happen until you paid the heat of vaporization.
Okay, thanks for the clarification ^^

Any derivation for that formula? Would make things easier to check.
There aren't, I just took the entire calculation method used here. Which calculated the energy to bring down the temperature of oxygen and nitrogen to their vaporization and melting point. I made it into a really extremely long formula that involved all the calc steps. And then over-oversimplified it.
It's the same method, but with just a single formula instead. That formula gives almost the exact same results. (less than 0.0001% of difference)
It was possible because there is a huge amount of constants involved. Since what you need to calc air freezing is just the ambiant temperature and the ice volume. And the different formula of each step aren't particularly complex themselves.

For a decent approximation, you can use the coefficient of friction, I suppose. With that you can get an estimate of the force opposing the movement. Then all you need to do is to integrate that force over the moved distance.
I can't figure out how it works by reading the wikipedia page and reading your answer, can you elaborate a bit? ^^'

That's essentially what our regular airblast formula is doing, with the effect in question being "nearly every regular human dies and/or immense devastation". There is also a version of lesser destruction somewhere... would need to look for it.
What I meant was "Can we calculate the pressure at a certain distance form the epicenter if we know the pressure at the epicenter?

Is there currently a formula to know the energy released by a shockwave?
It's the ground-based explosion formula, it's basically a shockwave formula in all essence, but it requires evidence of overpressure AKA destruction of objects from the shockwave being present

What if it's a character jumping really far? If we know the distance and the angle, can we use the launch speed to define KE?
As said, you can use it for speed. If you want to use it for Ke of a character moving you have to mind the rules laid out on the KE page.

What do you mean by that?
I mean that it's for when an explosion occurs at optimal detonation height, which makes it a low-end for explosions at every other height.

There aren't, I just took the entire calculation method used here. Which calculated the energy to bring down the temperature of oxygen and nitrogen to their vaporization and melting point. I made it into a really extremely long formula that involved all the calc steps. And then over-oversimplified it.
It's the same method, but with just a single formula instead. That formula gives almost the exact same results. (less than 0.0001% of difference)
It was possible because there is a huge amount of constants involved. Since what you need to calc air freezing is just the ambiant temperature and the ice volume. And the different formula of each step aren't particularly complex themselves.
If you oversimplified it it's no good. If you just summarized all the terms (which should probably be able to yield a very similar formula) it would be fine. But without knowing what you did I can't tell.

I can't figure out how it works by reading the wikipedia page and reading your answer, can you elaborate a bit? ^^'
Object is pushed against ground by its own weight. That is 9.81 m/s^2 * mass in kg = weight in Newton. Weight * coefiicient of friction = force of friction. Force of friction integrated over distance over which it is applied = energy.

What I meant was "Can we calculate the pressure at a certain distance form the epicenter if we know the pressure at the epicenter?
For ground explosions you could probably use this stuff to figure it out. Not sure what you want with that information in a vs debate context, though.

If you oversimplified it it's no good. If you just summarized all the terms (which should probably be able to yield a very similar formula) it would be fine. But without knowing what you did I can't tell.
I detailled everything about that and other formulas in a blog post I took the past days to write:

I mean that it's for when an explosion occurs at optimal detonation height
So, any explosion more than 600m high automatically use that formula?

Object is pushed against ground by its own weight. That is 9.81 m/s^2 * mass in kg = weight in Newton. Weight * coefiicient of friction = force of friction. Force of friction integrated over distance over which it is applied = energy.
So, mass in kg * gravity in m/s² * coefficient of friction * distance in meters?

Back