• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How to deal with consecutive fte movements? (Calculation Aide)

Austrian-Man-Meat

VS Battles
Retired
I am not exactly sure how to word this, so instead I'll just post a feat and see what is the most reasonable way of calculating it.

Guts is stated to be moving to the point where spectators are unable to see his movements, this is the very next panel.

Would it be reasonable to assume that every swing Guts pulls of is within a fte timeframe? And with that said, would adding up the total distance Guts moves (via swinging his arms) and dividing it by said timeframe be a way to get the overall speed?

That is more or less exactly the problem that I have with FTE feat calculation in general. No it is not reasonable to assume that the totality of his swings are in 1/120th of a second, else people who notice that they can't see them wouldn't be able to point that fact out either.

Neither is it reasonable to assume that for each individual swing, because in that case we would have to assume that the whip is visible between swings, which is also not the case here.

There are other factors than timeframe to FTE stuff and not rarely no incredibly fast speeds are necessary. Per default this is ranked subsonic (Faster than eye) though.

DontTalk said:
Neither is it reasonable to assume that for each individual swing, because in that case we would have to assume that the whip is visible between swings, which is also not the case here.
Not sure what you mean by "we would have to assume that the whip is visible between swings"; the whip is present in the panel and we even see where it hits the Dragon Slayer. I don't quite understand why each swing is not faster than the eye either, since it's stated that the movements taking place are too fast to see.

Each swing is FTE, what I mean is you can not really assume that each individual swing happens in the "FTE timeframe" (1/120th of a second).

If you were to assume that timeframe either the whip would need to stop inbetween and become visible in that timeframe, because otherwise it would stop being FTE, or the whip would have to constantly move over a timeframe longer than 1/120th of a second and stay FTE.

The latter is possible, what happens in this case and the reason the 1/120th of a second method it flawed.

Back