• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How Strong Is Lightning, Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Hey there. So, it is generally believed that lightning contains 1 to 5 billion joules of energy (VBW uses a figure of 1.6 gigajoules). If that's the case, why is it that the best AP feat lightning can do is 9-B, in that case, breaking trees?:

I mean it could be 9-A if the tree was big enough, but I dunno how trees work.

8-C is the total yield of the entire lightning bolt; however, it's not too impressive durability wise based on how natural lightning works. Lightning phases through targets, and it's mostly the ground and the air that absorb most of the impact. Basically inverse square law where it's only decently impressive if the target is very large. A human tanking a lightning bolt would technically be Street levels of survivability.

8-C is the total yield of the entire lightning bolt; however, it's not too impressive durability wise based on how natural lightning works. Lightning phases through targets, and it's mostly the ground and the air that absorb most of the impact. Basically inverse square law where it's only decently impressive if the target is very large. A human tanking a lightning bolt would technically be Street levels of survivability.
Yeah, lightning seems to disappear as soon as it appears. I dunno what's the worst part about it; the fact that I don't know how inverse square law works, or the fact that I've yet to see lightning destroy a house in one sitting.

Right here, but basically it's the reason surviving a big explosion doesn't automatically mean the character scales from the entire blast. It's also the reason flying insects can survive being swatted by large animals.

In other words unless the character tanks the hole thing aka hits him while in the air it doesn't count. Wouldn't this be usable for an upgrade to the Lisa verse? As one character can throw lightning?

In this case would be 9-A+ since the guy is on the ground, but for those in the air (which there are) this attack would be 8-C this also scales with the TNT feat as it vaporized like 5 people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back