• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How many grams of TNT are necessary to blow up a person's forearm? The CRT

Ok, ok, I know the title seems to make no sense as a CRT, but hear me out.

In the Jujutsu Kaisen manga, it's said that Black Flash has the power of "the original attack power, to the power of 2.5", which is obviously BULLSHIT and would make no mathematical sense as that requires an unit of measure and, if you were to use standard ones (say, either Joules or tons of TNT) it would result in such a giant amplification of power as to have Yuuji blowing up entire continents.

Worse even, right now I was watching the anime and it's said of Black Flash that it multiplies the attack power by 2.5 times. This is pathetically weak, and about the same difference as that between a jab and a kick.

So I would like to go by feats: Hanami, the female humanoid (but sufficiently inhuman-looking that you wouldn't know her gender without them refering to her as a female character) curse that is fighting the main characters, is sufficiently powerful that she can judge the strength of attacks that hit her, maybe even feel some hints of pain, but they don't cause any meaningful damage even if spammed.

However, when Hanami is hit with a Black Flash, she perfectly parries the attack with both of her arms, in all likelihood concentrating her Cursed Energy in the region with which she's blocking them, and proceeds to get dismembered, losing both of them completely, all the way up to shoulder length. This much damage is dealt by absolutely nothing besides the strength of a punch. This dismemberment is not a result of spatial distortion doing the job of ripping someone apart: in recent chapters, Yuuji took a Black Flash and didn't suffer nearly as much damage due to his opponent being weaker than him in raw power.

So considering that I may have misjudged something and that an explosion is omnidirectional while the energy of a punch is dispersed more or less sectorially through the target (at least initially), how many grams of TNT are necessary to fragment a human forearm?

The multiplier between this and the strength of a Peak Human punch should be our low end for the multiplier of power given by Black Flash.

Weight of an arm is about 5% of the human body, so about 4.03 kg or 4030 g, specific weight of flesh is 1.01 so 3990 g, human body frag is 4.4 j/cc so 17556 Joules. I don't know this franchise so idk if the reasoning is correct, but that's the amount of energy it takes, obviously multiply that by 2 since it was both arms. All of this should preferably be put in a blog.

That's about a 100x multiplier, by the way. I think that's a bit too high to trust this method, but again I haven't touched JJK yet

I believe multipliers have a rule that they require a direct statement, meaning that we can't conclude a number from something else. So unfortunately, we'll have to stick with the x2.5 multiplication factor, or ditch it and go for standard upscaling with 'higher/much higher with Black Flash'.

Also the multiplie the attack power by 2.5 times in anime is "fake". Some subtitles even say that Black Flash's time is trllions of zeros below 1 but the really time is 0.00001

Last edited:
I believe multipliers have a rule that they require a direct statement, meaning that we can't conclude a number from something else. So unfortunately, we'll have to stick with the x2.5 multiplication factor, or ditch it and go for standard upscaling with 'higher/much higher with Black Flash'.
I'd ditch it, but I wouldn't go with much. I think the strongest wording used in this wiki is "Far higher", right? Go with that.

I created this blog. The blog explains some things in a future discussion but the Black Flash part is finished

This can probably help things
Soooo... Would you use 20x?
20x would definitely go from "This attack barely hurts" to "this attack kills", but I dunno if it's comparable to going from that to blowing up (fragmentation) 10% of one's body mass.

Yeah, I saw it, although I think there was some confusion from your part, when you said the power of Finger Bearers is inconsistent. It's not tha they're inconsistent all on their own, it's that when a Finger is close to other Fingers, it resonates with it and both become more powerful. With fifteen fingers together in one place, all of them become more powerful.

So that might be something to account for when thinking about Sukuna's power growth with each finger... he may not be getting stronger STRICTLY by arithmetic progression (1+1+1...), but instead it could be something like "1+2+3+4..." (the sum of an arithmetic progression, rather than the progression itself) with the 20-fingers Sukuna actually being supposed to be 210 times stronger than one finger Sukuna or something. I dunno tho

This is a lot of supposition. Sukuna is still a mystery, we know very little. For now the correct is to use what was established to facilitate the Jujutsu scale

Well, yeah, we can always lowball it to be "1+1+1...", but it's important to remember that it's probably many times that.
I'd suggest the wiki uses 20x as the lowball estimate for Black Flash, since that's by far the most solid number which is also a conservative estimate.

In my headcanon, though, I'm gonna be using 100x as it seems to make more sense from a purely speculative standpoint and also 'cause I'm a worldbuilder who's been writing a Spiritual Energy power system loosely based off of Nen, Cursed Energy and also real life occultism, wicca and spiritualist/spiritist religions and I'm using Black Flash as a basis for the Awakening of The Will that the characters from my power system are capable of experiencing lmao

Assuming you aren't writing this wrong, then this isn't multiple but an exponent. It would be X^2.5 not X * 2.5
I wasn't. HOWEVER, the idea of raising an energy value (which doesn't have an unbreakable unit but exists in a continuum and we're the ones who make up units) by an exponent makes no sense, and the author admitted to the fact that it is nonsense and said they merely wanted to have something that sounded stronger than a multiplier.

Which brings us to this post, where I point out that 2.5x is a TERRIBLE multiplier to use, but also any value acquired from raising by an exponent will be bullshit. The appropriate multiplier seems to be 20x at a lowball, or 100x at a maximum.

Hard disagree with this. We can't just create random multipliers for attacks just because the actual power increase doesn't suit people. If the Black Flash increase is not accepted then it would just far higher.

Assuming you aren't writing this wrong, then this isn't multiple but an exponent. It would be X^2.5 not X * 2.5
Yeah, Black Flash is a ^2.5 increase. He also made everyone with cursed energy start as 2 instead of a one after his editor pointed out that a x or ^ on a 1 is still 1

Hard disagree with this. We can't just create random multipliers for attacks just because the actual power increase doesn't suit people. If the Black Flash increase is not accepted then it would just far higher.

Yeah, Black Flash is a ^2.5 increase. He also made everyone with cursed energy start as 2 instead of a one after his editor pointed out that a x or ^ on a 1 is still 1
You're being silly as hell, this entire page is literally Gege Akutami admitting that the whole exponents thing ACTUALLY DOESN'T MAKE SENSE and they screwed up.

I believe the "two Cursed Energy" thing is related to the student stats from the Official Fan Book. For example, Yuji has a 7 in his ability to use Cursed Energy. You take 7 and raise it to the power of 2.5, and you get approximately 129. That divided by 7 is 18, so now you have a 18x multiplier. Of course, this is most likely bullshit.

I believe the "two Cursed Energy" thing is related to the student stats from the Official Fan Book. For example, Yuji has a 7 in his ability to use Cursed Energy. You take 7 and raise it to the power of 2.5, and you get approximately 129. That divided by 7 is 18, so now you have a 18x multiplier. Of course, this is most likely bullshit.
Yes, it is. Which is why I suggest what I said, analysing it by what makes sense given the feats.

Back