• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How fast you need to catch a flying cannon ball

Standard cannonball speeds in the US civil war according to a quick google search were 250 miles per hour, or 111 M/S, which would be subsonic.

From there, it’d all depend on the distance.

10 meters away, according to this calculator, would mean that the reaction speed a character needs to catch a cannonball going that fast is 90 ms, or Peak Human.

It also depends on what you mean by ‘catch’ as well 👍

Standard cannonball speeds in the US civil war according to a quick google search were 250 miles per hour, or 111 M/S, which would be subsonic.

From there, it’d all depend on the distance.

10 meters away, according to this calculator, would mean that the reaction speed a character needs to catch a cannonball going that fast is 90 ms, or Peak Human.

It also depends on what you mean by ‘catch’ as well 👍
With 2 hands or one

With 2 hands or one
If that means they are directly in front of the line of fire, then all you’d need to do is find out the distance of both a (presumably humanoid) characters’ arm extension and rotation to physically block it. There’s no exact number for that I can find right away, so I’ll just go with 2 meters.

Plugging the amount of time a character would have to react at 10 meters distance (90 ms) plus the distance itself (10 meters) into the calculator, then the character would have a speed of 22 m/s, or Superhuman, which basically means they are barely faster than composite human 👀

If that means they are directly in front of the line of fire, then all you’d need to do is find out the distance of both a (presumably humanoid) characters’ arm extension and rotation to physically block it. There’s no exact number for that I can find right away, so I’ll just go with 2 meters.

Plugging the amount of time a character would have to react at 10 meters distance (90 ms) plus the distance itself (10 meters) into the calculator, then the character would have a speed of 22 m/s, or Superhuman, which basically means they are barely faster than composite human 👀
Thanks but how about this how strong would you be for crushing a cannon ball

Thanks but how about this how strong would you be for crushing a cannon ball
Google says they were typically made out of iron, which has a destruction value in the calculations page, which makes this fairly easy

According to this website, cannonballs had a volume of 115cm^3, so now we just need to get the fragmentation value for iron as a minimum, which comes out to 20J/cc

115 * 20 = 2,300 joules, or street level for smaller ones

However, that’d be for crushing a stationary one with your bare hands. If it’s in motion, you’d just have to cancel out the energy it’s moving at, which would be this much, or generally wall level

Google says they were typically made out of iron, which has a destruction value in the calculations page, which makes this fairly easy

According to this website, cannonballs had a volume of 115cm^3, so now we just need to get the fragmentation value for iron as a minimum, which comes out to 20J/cc

However, that’d be for crushing a stationary one with your bare hands. If it’s in motion, you’d just have to cancel out the energy it’s moving at, which would be this much, or generally wall level
You really are good at calcs

how big is Bowsers ship and how much do you need to lift it
I’m not a huge Mario fan, so I don’t know, but even if I was the interior of it isn’t shown, so we don’t know if it can be considered hollow or not, nor do we have an exact canon size for it.

Generally though, lifting big cruise ships is Class M lifting strength, so then the baseline of that tier would just be used

I’m not a huge Mario fan, so I don’t know, but even if I was the interior of it isn’t shown, so we don’t know if it can be considered hollow or not, nor do we have an exact canon size for it.

Generally though, lifting big cruise ships is Class M lifting strength, so then the baseline of that tier would just be used what

Generally though, lifting big cruise ships is Class M lifting strength, so then the baseline of that tier would just be used
What would Ap will it be for destroying a small castle

Without a clear reference (such as a person standing next to it for scale), or a clear image (preferably from multiple angles), it’s impossible to calculate.

Back