• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How do we define superhero?

Peppypony

She/Her
Couldn’t any protagonist be considered a “superhero” if you think about it hard enough?
  1. Like when you play Pokémon, you're a superhero because you're using superpowers to save the day. I mean no, you're not the one with superpowers, but the Pokémon are.
  2. Sonic’s a hero with super speed just like the Flash and Sonic isn’t considered by many to be a superhero but apparently the Flash is.
  3. Couldn’t I also argue Steven Universe is a superhero show because the main characters save the day and have superpowers?
Heck, there’s also characters like Batman or Black Widow who don’t even have superpowers but are considered to be superheroes?
(BTW I don’t see a difference between “superpowers” and “powers” unless maybe superpowers is biological so like magic or technology powers aren’t “superpowers” but they’re “powers”?)

I’m going to assume the only reason the Flash, Batman and Black Widow are considered “superheroes” is just because they’re Marvel/DC characters (although I’m not saying that a character has to be Marvel or DC in order to be considered a “superhero” I mean take a look at My Hero Academia or The Incredibles for example)? Not only that but also I’m going to assume the definition of “superheroes” were probably the same back in like the 60s or 70s, but as time went on the definitions of what counts as a “superhero” started to become more blurry?

Last edited:
Superhero in simple terms, is a "Hero" but with powers/abilities that ordinary humans don't have, and of course as the name suggests, a "hero" is 'Someone' who saves 'someone' in need, OR fights injustice/evil.

And in addition, "Superhero" doesn't always have to be a great background, even though Iron Man/Tony Stark is a drunk, Black Widow/Natasha Romanoff is a spy and a killer, so anyone can be a hero without a great background.

Back to the question you asked

"Can't we think of all the "Protagonists" as Super Heroes?"

Of course not, because going back to the definition of a superhero, the protagonist doesn't always have superpowers.

And about the three points you showed, I will answer one by one

Point 1. Of course because "The Character" has abilities that ordinary people don't have, namely Pokemon.

Point 2. Sonic is a hero or not actually depends on the perspective you see it, in my opinion, Sonic is more towards Protectors than Superheroes, he does things that superheroes do, but not the "Way" Superhero, Sonic is like a child who still needs experience , he definitely protects people, but his focus is only on defeating the opponent, helping others, but in his way, why is Flash categorized as a Hero, because he has more experience than Sonic

So Sonic can be categorized as a Superhero to be honest, there's nothing wrong with that, it's just about perspective IMHO.

Point 3. Steven Universe is more towards Magical Girl/Mahou shōjo, like most of its contents.

And about

Heck, there’s also characters like Batman or Black Widow who don’t even have superpowers but are considered to be superheroes?
(BTW I don’t see a difference between “superpowers” and “powers” unless maybe superpowers is biological so like magic or technology powers aren’t “superpowers” but they’re “powers”?)

Batman and Black Widow, they are Superheroes, because they are Heroes, and although they are ordinary humans, they are "Superhumans" Because they have great abilities compared to ordinary humans, plus the tools they have. So of course it can be categorized as a Superhero.

Well, that's my opinion.

Yeah, it's a very loose term; but it should generally mean any hero with super powers. But it's often given to self employed heroes who just happen to have a lot of superhuman intellect. Such as Batman and Captain America, while they both have superhuman feats, they aren't officially considered superhuman within the context of their own universes and are simply Peak Humans. But in Batman's case, he still dresses like a superhero complete with a cape and a mask, and he fights crime from the shadows while maintaining a double identity. Even before Batman and Superman, the double identity trope was actually originated from the character Zorro. Though, if you were to ask Batman himself, even he has said calling him a "Superhero" is an inaccurate term and it's more accurate to simply just call him a "Hero".

A hero with superhuman ability to put it plainly. But what's considered "superhuman" is defined differently in different franchises (characters like Batman and Ochaco Uraraka are blatantly tougher it's possible for real world humans to be but not their strength isn't considered superhuman in their series).

Taking narratives into account, Pokémon Trainers wouldn't quantify in the context of their series due to being considered normal people, but Sonic and Steven Universe technically count. Though Sonic (in the games) doesn't consider himself a hero and just sees his adventures as an opportunity to have fun.

Personally, I'd categorize Batman and Black Widow as "Superheroes" due to their abilities and skills being beyond what is achievable by real world humans, though like Pokémon Trainers they aren't considered superhuman in their series.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think it's most important to not think too hard about it, but I agree Pokemon trainers shouldn't count because it's more so their Pokemon that are the "Superheroes" and not the trainer. The Trainer could be seen as a bit of an Xavier by some interpretations; a wise person who mentors superheroes without actually being one. But Maverick is also reasonable.

Back