• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Holo: Weakness, Immortality and Wheat possesion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DontTalkDT

A Fossil at This Point
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Bronze Supporter
I have been listening to the first Volume of Spice & Wolf as an audiobook recently and I noticed that Holo appears to have a wheat-related weakness and immortality.
"For as long as I life the wheat will neither rot nor whither.
But should it be burned, eaten or ground into the soil I will likely disappear.
If it's in the way you could thrash it and keep it safe somewhere.
That might be better."
As Holo explains here, her presence is tied to the wheat from Pasloe, in which she resides for centuries. As anyone that has seen the anime knows, and as is listed in the Standard Equipment section on her profile, she carries that wheat in a pouch around her neck. Although she has also given Lawrence a part of it at least once.
It's hard to say whether Holo disappearing means death or merely sends her back to the big wheat fields of Pasloe. Personally, I suspect the latter, seeing how Holo has shown the ability to switch wheat and then manifest next to the other one (that's how she got to know Lawrence).
Alas, it's either losing due to death or BFR, so it doesn't matter awfully much. It should be mentioned as a weakness.

Now, if Holo's life is so deeply tied in with the wheat one could wonder whether the reverse also applies: The she wouldn't truly die as long as the wheat is there. And indeed, she does mention as much after Lawrence frees her after she got abducted:
"I am glad you're alright." He said.
The eyes that had flashed in anger only a moment earlier threatened to close.
Holo nodded, her lips slightly pouted.
"So long as you carry that wheat with you, I will not die."
Holo poked his breast pocket without moving his arms away.

This is further made plausible by the fact that Holo has been noted to straight up exist within the wheat on her fields in Pasloe before, meaning she can exist without a regular body as long as the wheat is around.
"But the real Holo should be in Yarei now. The wolf resides in the one who cuts the last wheat stalk, they say."
"Hahahahaha, I am Holo, the wise wolf. I know well my own limitations.
It is true that I life within the wheat. Without it I cannot life.
And it is also true that during this harvest I was within the last wheat that was to be harvested and usually I can not escape from there. Not while anyone is watching.
However, there is an exception."
Holo listened to her explanation, impressed with her rapid delivery.
"If there is nearby a larger sheave of wheat than the last one to be harvested, I can move unseen to that wheat.
That's why they say it, you know, the villagers: If you cut too greedily you won't catch the harvest god and it will escape."

Therefore, I suggest the following:
  1. Add that she is killed or BFRd if all of her wheat close by is destroyed.
  2. Add Immortality Type 8, dependent on her own wheat.
  3. Add possession of wheat, for her ability to life in it and move between any possessed bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back