• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

help with formula for Volcanos and tsunamis

Hello
in my free time i was trying to find a formula for each one of these natural phenomenon to give a good approximation of the AP linked to them, and i wanna know if they are reliable/usable for estimating the power;

Volcano
the method was already accepted in this calculation
"A third way is to consider how much the pressure in the magma chamber is reduced times the reduction in volume, E=ΔP⋅VE=ΔP⋅V. A pressure drop of 5 MPa is apparently typical, and the volume reduction is proportional to the ejected volume (with some scaling factor from packed rock to ejecta)" (here)

the ejecta volume can be calculated with this formula : 10^(4+i) = volume in cubic meter with i the VEI
(a VEI of 3 will give us 0.01 km^3 [10000000 m^3] which correlates with wikipedia)

we just need to put in the typical pressure change, 10000000 * 5*10^6 = 5e+13 joules, or Town level

when we put a VEI of 8 (Highest VEI), we get
10^(4+8) * 5 * 10^6 = 5e+18 Joules, which is fairly close to maximum energy possible for a volcano (if i did not misunderstand it)
"Thus, the largest eruptions release elastic energy of the same order of magnitude as the largest earthquakes, suggesting that 10^19 J may be close to the maximum elastic energy that is available for driving earthquakes and volcanic eruptions."

The final formula is 10^(4+i) * 5*10^6 = energy in joule

so can this be possibly added to the Calculation page ? as a reference for volcano based feat (the same page we have but for earthquake)

Tsunami

from what i understood, the speed of a tsunami depends primarly on the distance it is from the sea floor, because the water particules of the tsunamis moves underwaters circularly, if the sea floor is deeper, it create less friction and slow it down less, the formula can be written as ;
sqrt(d * g), d : sea floor depth and g is gravity. (this is also used on this calculation, but i dont think it got accepted, or at least not added)
if the tsunami is supernatural, i guess we can calculate the speed direcly with basic measurements using pixels

if the wave lenght and period is known, the speed can be calculated this way :
λ * T
λ is wavelenght (in meter)
T is the period between two same points of two adjacent waves (in hertz, or 1/second)

the mass can be calculated as 1000 * h * w * d

or maybe 1000 * (h+depth of sea) * width * thickness

energy would be ;
depth of sea^2 * gravity * 500 * width * thickness
lets say the depth of sea is 4000 meter, the width of the tsunami is 10km, and its thickness is 20 meter
4000 ^2 * 9.81 * 500 * 10000* 20 = 1.5696e+16 joules, small city

i also found this one wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_wave#Physics_of_waves) ;
sqrt((g * λ)/(2 * pi) * tanh((2 * pi * d)/λ)

where :
λ is wave lenght
d is ocean floor depthg is gravity

lets test it with our exemple, the depth of sea d is 4000, lets say the wavelenght is 100km
sqrt((pi* 100000)/(2 * pi) * tanh((2 * pi * 4000)/100000) = 196.016317574 m/s, which is close to the average tsunami speed in deep water

final formula would be :
(ρ * (d+h)/2 * th * w)/2 * (sqrt((g * λ)/(2 * pi) * tanh((2 * pi * d)/λ))^2

ρ is density
d is depth of sea
th is thickness of wave
w is width of wave, generally the biggest number for natural tsunamis
λ is wavelenght, 200km in average
g is gravity, or 9.801 m/s^2 on earth surface/
h is height of tsunami

can this be used ?

Back