• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Guardian Supers - Nova Bomb Lore Description - Calc

Catalyst75

The longest serving member
As we all know, the Nova Bomb is the Super of the Voidwalker sub-class of Warlock Guardians. In the first game, this Super was given an...interesting lore description:

Channel the Traveler's Light into a bolt of energy with the power of a collapsing star. The devastating Nova Bomb scours the battlefield with ethereal fire - but be careful in its use. It takes precious moments to summon, and it must be aimed precisely to avoid obstacles.

For my part, I have been skeptical about this description in the past because of how I thought this could get inflated to unreasonable levels i.e. actual supernova levels, and I've puzzled over how to actually calculate this.

For the purpose of this calc, however, I'll be taking the description at face-value. As for what I could use to calculate this, the Nova Bomb description makes note of ethereal fire, so I'll use the below formula:

http://www.endmemo.com/physics/radenergy.php

Credits to @MatthewSchroeder for their example of the above formula at work.

Two variants exist for the Nova Bomb (in Destiny 2) - Attunement of Chaos, which launches a sphere the size of an average Guardian (official height is apparently 1.88 meters) which is slow but tracks enemies with explosive power that generates smaller Void Light spheres on imact; Attunement of Hunger Nova Bomb is a large sphere about bowling ball-sized (I think), but trades its size for speed and creates an intense gravity well (description calls it a singularity) that damages enemies caught inside it.

In the original Destiny, the Nova Bomb was more akin to Attunement of Hunger's variant with three modifiers: Vortex, Shatter (splits into three) and Lance (travels further and faster)

The two should be roughly equal in power (same ability, different application), but I'll do a calculation for both sizes.

Chaos - Surface area (sphere) = 11.10 m^2; Destructive Capacity = 5.3050788E+37

Hunger (and Destiny 1 variant) - 226.98 in^2; Destructive Capacity = 7.6387662132163E+35

It is entirely possible there is a flaw in this calculation, but there you have it.

Taking the "power of a collapsing star" description at face value, the above is the end result. While ten magnitudes lower than the unreasonable levels I imagined it being inflated to, this is still quite an insane number.

Large Planet-level Destiny Guardians aka. 5-B to 5-A. Other Guardian Supers should roughly scale to this, as should the more powerful enemies in Destiny.

This would need to be in a blog, and there are some tier 4 feats, but this is pretty nice. Whether its considered an outlier when compared to the more abundant 5-C stuff is another matter entirely.

Now you just gotta ask a calc group member to evaluate, or post in the thread to request that. Calc members can be found on the VS Battles Staff, but i'd try to post on the request thread first.

Yep. I will tell you here though, other characters that Guardians can scale to at their peak have feats in tier 4, so the "collapsing star" stuff ironically may not be as absurd as you think. Ask me about Destiny stuff on my wall if you want tho, the verse is weirdly powerful for what it is.

Given that an average Warlock can use Nova Bombs, that would likely scale to the average Guardian while top-tier guardians would scale to the tier 4 stuff you mentioned.

Off the top of my head, there's several 5-C statements and at one point someone was outright stated to have blown up a moon, there's oryx punching a hole in Saturn's ring, and there's tier 4 stuff. So 5-B may be accepted, but 5-A may be seen as either an outlier or not relevant compared to tier 4. Scaling this verse is kinda weird though.

Don't forget Court of Oryx feats which puts them at star-large star level with the Gift Mast.

Plus that calc does not really have any radiation or temperature to calc with, I do not believe it can be viable

Which one, the Nova Bomb, one of the other ones Wokistan mentioned, or the Gift Mast?

Back