• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DimeUhDozen

She/Her
561fe8755a44b544835bcec421eef837.jpg
ryu-mvc2-versus-art.png

• Speed Equalized
  • Ryu has the Infinity Gems
  • Namek Saga Goku will be used
Goku:
Ryu: Lonkitt, Robo, Bossbrosish, MaidRips, Peppersalt43, Cimafranca133, Tonygameman, Shubham_Sonsurkar (8)
Incon:

Last edited:
I would 100% be lying if I said I wasn’t looking forward to this being a thread on the forum. It’s fun to actually find a fair Goku vs Ryu match since the former is usually always the obvious victor. Helps too that this version of Ryu has some unique techniques that make the fight more interesting

Will comment on this later

I think the discussion of skill is fairly unique this time around

Goku’s been trained by beings who have been alive and knowledgeable on martial arts for thousands of years, and is skilled enough to copy techniques after watching them be performed (something he’s been doing since he was a kid, seen with the Kamehameha). There's of course his tournament victories and opponents he's encountered to keep in mind regarding his martial arts achievements. Along with that, we’ve seen how he can tell the depth of his opponents as well as accurately predict their attacks

Ryu not only earned great recognition from his victory in the World Warrior tournament back in his early stages, but he was capable of creating new techniques through simple yet extensive training. Just based on facial expressions, he can tell if somebody has the capacity to learn the Hado. Furthermore, Super Skrull called Ryu the pinnacle of human perfection, even in comparison to Taskmaster. Similar to Goku, Taskmaster can replicate fighting moves simply be watching them, requiring no practice even if they’re very complex. Taskmaster is considered a rather skilled assassin and combat instructor, having taken moves from guys like Iron Fist, Captain America, and Daredevil to name a few. So if Ryu is considered more skilled than Taskmaster, I think a case could be made for Ryu not being put too off guard by Goku’s adaptability. Also note that Super Skrull's statement was made prior to Ryu attaining greater control over the Satsui no Hado, meaning he's certainly improved, which lines up with how Ryu is known for his self-improvement

In terms of power, the two are already close in base. The ways in which they can post their strength may garner some debate as to who can ultimately out edge the other in terms of raw power. We know Goku at this stage can amplify his power up to 10 times while Ryu, whether it be the Satsui no Hado or Power of Nothingness, can go from being unable to harm a giant monster in any capacity to severely damaging it with an attack. Additionally, X-Factor and the Power Stone can actually be used in these states while something like the Space Gem grants super armour which is a fairly significant durability boost. Saiyan biology also poses the potential for Goku getting stronger over the course of the fight

Ryu may have more techniques to work with here. Aside from everything in base, there's his Ken Mode and Akuma Mode to offer the movesets of two other fighters, which can certainly help in this fight given how quick the changes are and how it could test Goku's adaptability. With the Infinity Gems, he has access to a ton of options that either provide for some great ranged attacks, enhance his mobility and strength, provide healing, or even drain the health of Goku. I think Goku's best techniques in this fight would be the Solar Flare (grants the potential to catch Ryu off guard), Kaio Ken (obvious power boost), and the Kiezan (a controllable projectile that can harm/kill opponents many times stronger than the user). Pressure points could certainly be of use. I think you could certainly argue he could even utilize Hado techniques against Ryu after seeing them (not stuff like the Mode Changes, Satsui no Hado, or Power of Nothingess), as those originate from spiritual energy according to Ryu's bios

This seems like it'll be an even fight. Ultimately, a favour Ryu as the victor. In terms of power ups, Goku's disadvantage is that something like Kaio Ken does come at the cost of stamina when all is said and done. While his control of the technique has improved here, Goku's stamina is going to be taking a toll. Ryu doesn't suffer this same effect. In fact, we've seen techniques like the Satsui no Hado and Power of Nothingness manage to activate for Ryu after being beaten down, in which he'll get up and keep fighting with no signs of weariness. Ryu also has the advantage of having the means to heal during the fight and take the health of his opponent, which would also make the stamina issue more problematic. Akuma Mode and the Time Stone have methods of literally phasing through projectiles, which could catch Goku off guard. Ryu has a more accessible means of sealing, that being the Space Stone’s cube

Regarding Goku's analytical prediction, it may not be as effective here. If Taskmaster's ability to just perform complex fighting styles on the spot without the need for practice, along with his other accomplishments as a mercenary, are seen as inferior to Ryu, then simply adapting and utilizing what the Street Fighter offers against him doesn't seem like it'll entirely cut it. I don't feel comfortable saying one of them is more skilled than the other. Only that Goku's ability to replicate styles and techniques won't be enough to give him a surefire wincon. In the same way, I am not discounting that his adaptability can play a factor in keeping up and managing to win. I feel that because of Ryu's lack of weakness in the methods to boost his strength as well as the potency his Mode Changes and Infinity Gems offer, he's more likely to come out on top before Goku's Saiyan physiology, Kaio Ken multipliers, and techniques could grant him the win

Voting Ryu

Last edited:
I think the discussion of skill is fairly unique this time around

Goku’s been trained by beings who have been alive and knowledgeable on martial arts for thousands of years, and is skilled enough to copy techniques after watching them be performed (something he’s been doing since he was a kid, seen with the Kamehameha). There's of course his tournament victories and opponents he's encounter to keep in mind regarding his martial arts achievements. Along with that, we’ve seen how he can tell the depth of his opponents as well as accurately predict their attacks

Ryu not only earned great recognition from his victory in the World Warrior tournament back in his early stages, but he was capable of creating new techniques through simple yet extensive training. Just based on facial expressions, he can tell if somebody has the capacity to learn the Hado. Furthermore, Super Skrull called Ryu the pinnacle of human perfection, even in comparison to Taskmaster. Similar to Goku, Taskmaster can replicate fighting moves simply be watching them, requiring no practice even if they’re very complex. Taskmaster is considered a rather skilled assassin and combat instructor, having taken moves from guys like Iron Fist, Captain America, and Daredevil to name a few. So if Ryu is considered more skilled than Taskmaster, I think a case could be made for Ryu not being put too off guard by Goku’s adaptability. Also note that Super Skrull's statement was made prior to Ryu attaining greater control over the Satsui no Hado, meaning he's certainly improved, which lines up with how Ryu is known for his self-improvement

In terms of power, the two are already close in base. The ways in which they can post their strength may garner some debate as to who can ultimately out edge the other in terms of raw power. We know Goku at this stage can amplify his power up to 10 times while Ryu, whether it be the Satsui no Hado or Power of Nothingness, can go from being unable to harm a giant monster in any capacity to severely damaging it with an attack. Additionally, X-Factor and the Power Stone can actually be used in these states while something like the Space Gem grants super armour which is a fairly significant durability boost. Saiyan biology also poses the potential for Goku getting stronger over the course of the fight

Ryu may have more techniques to work with here. Aside from everything in base, there's his Ken Mode and Akuma Mode to offer the movesets of two other fighters, which can certainly help in this fight given how quick the changes are and how it could test Goku's adaptability. With the Infinity Gems, he has access to a ton of options that either provide for some great ranged attacks, enhance his mobility and strength, provide healing, or even drain the health of Goku. I think Goku's best techniques in this fight would be the Solar Flare (grants the potential to catch Ryu off guard), Kaio Ken (obvious power boost), and the Kiezan (a controllable projectile that can harm/kill opponents many times stronger than the user). Pressure points could dertainly be of use. I think you could certainly argue he could even utilize Hado techniques against Ryu after seeing them (not stuff like the Mode Changes, Satsui no Hado, or Power of Nothingess), as those originate from spiritual energy according to Ryu's bios

This seems like it'll be an even fight. Ultimately, a favour Ryu as the victor. In terms of power ups, Goku's disadvantage is that something like Kaio Ken does come at the cost of stamina when all is said and done. While his control of the technique has improved here, Goku's stamina is going to be taking a toll. Ryu doesn't suffer this same effect. In fact, we've seen techniques like the Satsui no Hado and Power of Nothingness manage to active for Ryu after being beaten down, in which he'll get up and keep fighting with no signs of weariness. Ryu also has the advantage of having the means to heal during the fight and take the health of his opponent, which would also make the stamina issue more problematic. Akuma Mode and the Time Stone have methods of literally phasing through projectiles, which could catch Goku off guard. Ryu has a more accessible means of sealing, that being the Space Stones cube

Regarding Goku's analytical prediction may not be as effective here. If Taskmaster's ability to just perform complex fighting styles on the spot without the need for practice, along with his other accomplishments as a mercenary, are seen as inferior to Ryu, then simply adapting and utilizing what the Street Fighter offers against him doesn't seem like it'll entirely cut it. I don't feel comfortable saying one of them is more skilled than the other. Only that Goku's ability to replicate styles and techniques won't be enough to give him a surefire wincon. In the same way, I am not discounting that his adaptability cannot play a factor in keeping up and managing to win. I feel that because of Ryu's lack of weakness in the methods to boost his strength as well as the potency his Mode Changes and Infinity Gems offer, he's more likely to come out on top before Goku's Saiyan physiology, Kaio Ken multipliers, and techniques could grant him the win

Voting Ryu
Wouldn't Goku will use SSJ instead of kaioken since this is Namek Goku

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back