• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Garchomp vs Stantler

Bro can you not make a new pokemon page without discussing it with everyone? Nobody ever agreed to scaling stantler to high 7-A and scaling wrydeer, who i statistically equal to normal third stages, to 6-C.

Bro can you not make a new pokemon page without discussing it with everyone? Nobody ever agreed to scaling stantler to high 7-A and scaling wrydeer, who i statistically equal to normal third stages, to 6-C.
I statistically equal

IDK why the page was named for the final form (Which is a regional form only found in the distant past, at that.), considering, AFAIK, a lot of other 'verses name the page for the base form.

Anyway....
Garchomp:
PearlIt flies at speeds equal to a jet fighter plane. It never allows its prey to escape.
PlatinumIt is said that when one runs at high speed, its wings create blades of wind that can fell nearby trees.
SunIt can fly at speeds rivaling jet planes. It dives into flocks of bird Pokémon and gulps the entire flock down whole.
Ultra SunIt flies at the speed of sound while searching for prey, and it has midair battles with Salamence as the two compete for food.
SwordGarchomp makes its home in volcanic mountains. It flies through the sky as fast as a jet airplane, hunting down as much prey as it can.
Legends: ArceusSoars across the heavens at blinding speed—a magnificent sight! It has a feral disposition. Utmost caution is required if one meets a Garchomp out in the wilds.

Wyrdeer's behaviour isn't exactly clear, since it lacks appearances beyond in PL:A.
Legends: ArceusThe black orbs shine with an uncanny light when the Pokémon is erecting invisible barriers. The fur shed from its beard retains heat well and is a highly useful material for winter clothing.

Anyone know what it does in the story? (I know it serves as a mount in gameplay.)
Is there any info on the official PL:A website(s) about Wyrdeer?

In theory, Wyrdeer might have behaviour like Stantler. But if it did, that'd make me question how much like Gible or Gabite Garchomp behaves like.

But in the absence of much else to go off of, let's look at Stantler's behaviour.

GoldThe curved antlers subtly change the flow of air to create a strange space where reality is distorted.
SilverThose who stare at its antlers will gradually lose control of their senses and be unable to stand.
Diamond
Pearl
Platinum
Staring at its antlers creates an odd sensation as if one were being drawn into their centers.

I'm unsure if Wyrdeer retains those antler abilities from Stantler, but it'd be beneficial if it does.
The anime &/or manga might have more info about Stantler's behaviour, but IDK how applicable to Wyrdeer it is.

I guess Garchomp leads by charging & making wind blades, & attempting to bite Wyrdeer.
& based on Wyrdeer's entry, it probably leads with barrier creation. Maybe Mind Manipulation later, based on Stantler's stuff.

Psyshield Bash is Wyrdeer's signature move: "Cloaking itself in psychic energy, the user slams into the target. This may also raise the user’s defensive stats."
Considering real deer do headbutting, I could see it responding with this if it sees Garchomp charging, but then again, it might be avoidant, since Garchomp is a predatory species it coexisted with, so it may have reason to be avoidant.

Considering Garchomp has Rough Skin, & its leading moves include Bite or Crunch, which are super-effective on Wyrdeer (But not Stantler, lol.), Wyrdeer definitely needs that defensive boost, which could be invalidated if Garchomp chooses Crunch & the DEF drop triggers. But an advantage that happens only 20% of the time, so Crunch's effect isn't exactly game-deciding unless Garchomp spams it.

If Wyrdeer chooses to use Hypnosis, this could end well for it.

Unsure how this goes.

Is it Wyerdeer or stantler? Regardless Garchomp eats
It'd be Wyrdeer unless it's 1 of Garchomp's lower stages, I think.

But why you so sure of Garchomp? Wyrdeer's likely opener is its signature move, which raises its own DEF, & based on the effects staring at the antlers have, Stantler's line's other likely in-character move might be Hypnosis, in which case, Garchomp takes a major disadvantage 60% of the time.

To Garchomp's credit, Rough Skin is helpful, & its opening moves of Bite & Crunch are good, but the benefits of those moves don't seem consistent enough, & I'm not sure Rough Skin will let it beat Wyrdeer in a damage race when Garchomp is liable to be asleep or Wyrdeer is raising its DEF with every attack.

Sense manip and some moves could grant stantler a win
Unless this is Gabite, this isn't Stantler, AFAIK.

Looking at Tauros, single-stage lines are scaled to High 7-C, same as 2nd stages, like Gabite.

Wyrdeer is scaled to the same tier as Garcho-....

Wait....

Attack Potency: Large Mountain level+ (Comparable to fully evolved Pokemon like Ursaring as it could take a hit from Paul's Chimchar who did comparable amounts of damage to an Ursaring. Is not too far off from the level of Tyranitar), higher as an Alpha Pokemon or with Dynamax and Z-Moves | Island level (More than 2 times stronger than before), higher as an Alpha Pokemon or with Dynamax and Z-Moves

What is with this scaling?
Though, Wyrdeer's page also claims about its tier:
Tier: High 7-A, higher as an Alpha Pokemon or with Dynamax and Z-Moves | 6-C, higher as an Alpha Pokemon

I think I'm a bit confused.

Unless this is Gabite, this isn't Stantler, AFAIK.

Looking at Tauros, single-stage lines are scaled to High 7-C, same as 2nd stages, like Gabite.

Wyrdeer is scaled to the same tier as Garcho-....

Wait....

Attack Potency: Large Mountain level+ (Comparable to fully evolved Pokemon like Ursaring as it could take a hit from Paul's Chimchar who did comparable amounts of damage to an Ursaring. Is not too far off from the level of Tyranitar), higher as an Alpha Pokemon or with Dynamax and Z-Moves | Island level (More than 2 times stronger than before), higher as an Alpha Pokemon or with Dynamax and Z-Moves

What is with this scaling?
Though, Wyrdeer's page also claims about its tier:
Tier: High 7-A, higher as an Alpha Pokemon or with Dynamax and Z-Moves | 6-C, higher as an Alpha Pokemon

I think I'm a bit confused.
I added that rating because Stantler is fully evolved

I don't know why single staged lines are High 7-C, when have they shown to be equal only to 2nd stage Pokemon? I think this needs a CRT

While i wouldn't truly mind a high 7-A stantler as long as there is proper scaling to back its rating, 6-C Wrydeer has to go, there's no evidence of it scaling 2x above Stantler and its no different from Electabuzz evolving into Electavire or Magmar turning into Magmortar, they're still High 7-A

While i wouldn't truly mind a high 7-A stantler as long as there is proper scaling to back its rating, 6-C Wrydeer has to go, there's no evidence of it scaling 2x above Stantler and its no different from Electabuzz evolving into Electavire or Magmar turning into Magmortar, they're still High 7-A
Technically, Electabuzz & Magmar's lines are 3 stage lines, so I'm not entirely sure I follow, but I'd prefer to assume good faith in you. No offense meant.

Technically, Electabuzz & Magmar's lines are 3 stage lines, so I'm not entirely sure I follow, but I'd prefer to assume good faith in you. No offense meant.
i mean that they have the same type of evolution which is item based.

in short, for all we know Stantler could be High 7-C or he could be high 7-A and Wrydeer is just a higher degree of High 7-A. Doesn't make em 6-C though, especially considering the lack of feats supporting that

Stantler is more like a mid stage evo tbh (like Ivysaur type shit), not really considered as strong as the three stage lines but definitely above the basic mons. Honestly that's how most single stage mons tend to be portrayed, give or take, some are treated as just as strong as the weak fodder basic stages, some second, some third, Stantler definitely wasn't on of the one off's that's played off as being strong as **** tho.

Wyrdeer is probably as strong as the typical 3rd stage though, same with the likes of Overqwil. (Tbh all the news easy to place, bar one, im not sure what we'd do with Ursaluna, because Ursaring was usually portrayed as a 3rd stage or close enough and now he has an actual evo that roids it out).

Stantler is more like a mid stage evo tbh (like Ivysaur type shit), not really considered as strong as the three stage lines but definitely above the basic mons. Honestly that's how most single stage mons tend to be portrayed, give or take, some are treated as just as strong as the weak fodder basic stages, some second, some third, Stantler definitely wasn't on of the one off's that's played off as being strong as **** tho.

Wyrdeer is probably as strong as the typical 3rd stage though, same with the likes of Overqwil. (Tbh all the news easy to place, bar one, im not sure what we'd do with Ursaluna, because Ursaring was usually portrayed as a 3rd stage or close enough and now he has an actual evo that roids it out).
I think putting them at a higher end of High 7-A would be fair. Like make them scale to like ~4gt instead of 3.2

in short, for all we know Stantler could be High 7-C or he could be high 7-A and Wrydeer is just a higher degree of High 7-A. Doesn't make em 6-C though, especially considering the lack of feats supporting that
Why do we assume megas are more than 2x stronger than fully evolved Pokemon then?

Why do we assume megas are more than 2x stronger than fully evolved Pokemon then?
They are scaled above Marrowack with thick club and Pokemon that have the ability huge powers, both the latter and the former boosting the pokemon 2x their AP

Back