• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Zabazab

Username Only
This thread is to revise the abilities present on the verse-specific ability page Magic (Frieren: Beyond Journey's End).

Superhuman Physical Characteristics
This should just specify Superhuman Speed, since many mages tend to be physically comparable to regular people.

Resistance Negation (At least 2 Layers)
This should be scrapped. Zoltraak is not stated to negate the magic resistance of defensive magic & equipment, but to pierce the magic resistance. It should be replaced with layering the magic projection on the page, i.e Magic Projection (1 Layer).

Homing Attack
This one I'm unsure of. Mages can alter the trajectory of their magic to chase down a target, but they must aim and control the spell, so it isn't really "homing" in the usual sense. Nothing is being done automatically.

Limited Deconstruction & Durability Negation
This needs to be removed completely. Demons in this manga disperse into Mana naturally after death, and the other justifications use scans of the spell that cuts almost anything: Reelseiden– which is a durability negating spell– despite talking about Zoltraak.

Limited Reality Warping
The scans used here, and the explanation of magic being about visual imagination, fit better with Subjective Reality, which this should be indexed as.

Resistance to Deconstruction, Durability Negation & Resistance Negation (Layered)
As mentioned previously, this aspect of Zoltraak should be scrapped and replaced with simply layered magic projection, which would change defense magic's resistances to simply Resistance to Magic Projection (1 Layer).

Resistances to Ice Manipulation, Water Manipulation, Blood Manipulation, & Body Puppetry
These resistances are totally unjustified, and are likely based in either the inability of the mage to imagine controlling the water in a human body, or in just the basic resistance to magic granted by a great deal of mana. This should be replaced by an overall Resistance to Magic, which is granted by having a large difference in mana volume.

That's all, thanks.

Agreeing with the thread, everything here seems to make sense.

Zoltraak deconstruction has always been weird and should’ve been removed a while ago, but SOMEBODY was slacking off

Agreed with everything here. I think the resistances come from that one scene where Ritcher says great differences in mana make it harder to affect a mage’s body directly but that’s more a limitation of the mage (thanks to the difficulty of visualization) more than anything.

I'm a little confused, what is Magic Projection supposed to be indexed as? Just magic?

Cause if you're saying they're magic should just be able to overcome one layer of magic resistance, I think that's fair as a baseline for all magic users as the idea is that offensive magic of that type is the baseline.

Everything else I think looks fine though

I'm a little confused, what is Magic Projection supposed to be indexed as? Just magic?
Magic Projection (a specification of Energy Projection) is how Zoltraak is indexed, it's a concentrated beam of magic energy.

So it'd be Offense Magics < Old Defense Magics < Zoltraak < Modern Defense Magic, a layer of magic/resistance for Zoltraak & modern defense magic

Back