• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Feats of Ra | Powers and Abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Creation of Universes' Time

Alright so I found this book written by Philip Ardagh, it's called "World Book Ancient Egyptian Myths & Legends". In it, I found some interesting points about Ra that I felt needed to be covered. In the book, it's revealed on Page 43 that Ra actually created time itself in the beginning. "They were called out to honor him and to celebrate his importance and his power, except for one name that is. For that name was a secret, known only to the god himself. It was given to him at the beginning of time- for it was he who had created time- and was hidden deep within him." This is clearly a recognizable feat but is backed up when you realize that Heh (Embodiment of Infinity and Eternity) also represented time due to the number Million representing infinity back then. As we know Ra is more powerful than Heh, and in fact, is stated in this same book to be the most powerful of all the gods. This would imply being more powerful than Neith, but that's debatable due to her being his mother and the mother of his rival Apophis. "Isis was the goddess of fertility and of life. She was a mistress of magic and the wife of Osiris, Lord of the Underworld. She was cleverer than countless other gods and goddesses, but she wanted the greatest power of all-Ra's power." Ra's Boat of Millions of Years would also mean Boat of Infinity by the logic mentioned before. Time Manipulation should at least be added.

Secret Name of Almighty Power

I think we should put down Ra's secret name as one of his abilities, with it he was given power surpassing the infinite chaotic waters of his "father" Nu. On top of that, he was left to finish the creation his mother Neith had started. In the same story where Isis poisons Ra with his own power due to his old age, his secret name is what restored his former glory and made him as he was in the beginning.

Magic Immunity/Resistance

In the book I have Ra is described on Page 43 as being unaffected by even Isis' magic. "Few were safe against Isis' magic, but such magic was useless against Ra, the creator, the greatest god of all. So if she could not use her magic, how could Isis get the name from him? Through trickery?" Isis' magic is stated to be the greatest of all the gods, aside from Ra perhaps, with her actually being seen as one of the more powerful goddesses. I think this should prove Ra has a level of magic immunity or magic resistance.

Ra=Atum

Ra and the god Atum are basically the same god, they're often equated with one another and in this story Ra even refers to himself as Atum. "I am Ra. I am Creator of the Heavens and the Earth. I am Khepri in the morning-the scarab beetle, sailing through the sky in the Boat of Millions of Years-Ra, the blazing sun at noon, and Atum, the setting sun, in the evening...." Khnum is often seen as Ra's evening form in which he takes a Ram-headed appearance. However, this is an example of Atum and Ra being one and the same. Their feats are also the same.

Created Humanity From Tears

"Myth has it that that the first humans were born from his own tears, yet now people treated him as if he were no more important in their lives than a speck of dirt." We should have Creation listed under his abilities, he IS a Creator God after all.

Fusionism

Ra is famously known for fusing with other Egyptian gods in order to become an even more powerful and popular deity. For example, you can look up the name Amun-Ra and you'll find the fusion of Amun and Ra. He's also described as fusing with Horus God of the Sky and War, Osiris God of the Underworld (Duat), and even Sobek God of the Nile.

Solar Manipulation

He's the God of the Sun, need I say more? Ra is described as being the Sun itself in many cases.

Light Manipulation

Ra is stated in the book i have to actually be the god of light and health. Philip Ardagh on Page 19 says "In appearance Ra was obviously not the great and powerful god he had once been. Was this really the lord of all gods, the god of light and health?" Ra is also seen as the first light that lit up the darkness of Nu before the dawn of creation.

Trans-Universal Travel Speed

Ra is often described as sailing across Nut in a couple hours everyday. During the day he sailed along Nut and at night through Nut. Nut is basically the universe itself also called the Sky or Heavens. This is also evident in the fact that she is seen as a woman far bigger than Geb (Earth itself). She's always depicted as being covered in stars.

http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Pr-Sa/Ra-Re.html

Universal Lifting Strength

Ra should actually be equal to Shu God of the Air, who was tasked with keeping Nut (Sky) and Geb (Earth) apart for "eternity". Shu was tasked with holding up Nut (The Universe itself), a task given to him by his father Ra who should logically be capable of performing a similar feat via powerscaling.

Godly Creation

Ra/Atum casually made Shu by breathing or spitting, the point is he did it in a very casual manner. Shu is the god who constantly holds up Nut. He also made Tefnut Goddess of Moisture and Rain via spitting or in some cases masturbation, the mother of Nut and Geb, basically making them the parents of the universe and by that logic, Ra, as being more powerful than them is far beyond even that.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/philosophy-and-religion/ancient-religions/ancient-religion/ra

Ras secret name only healed him because the poison was made with his power, and as such his secret name could be used to nullify it.

Magic resistence is okay, but magic on his own tier can affect him

Him being atum is alright

Creation is okay

I do not believe he is described as the sun itself, but the sun in egypt is a boat that he navigates, it more along the lines of him being in a car, and even then, assuming its the size of oir sun goes against egyptian mythology

Light is alright.

The fact tbat he can go to nut is not a universal travel feat, especialy as they are connected and is represented to have a gate that leads to her sometimes

Creating gods is still creation, but it is right

There's still the universal lifting feat scaling off of Shu, Shu does so casually and isn't restricted like Atlas as he can still be in other places while doing so. Keep in mind he's constantly holding up Nut.

I'd rather not cite third-hand sources when discussing mythology.

It's the original or bust.

The first source is more acceptable because it has citations and sources.

The second is not.

I'd much prefer it if we had a translation of the texts the original myths were taken from.

@Zach

That's a lot better.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of text. Would you mind picking out the phrases that support the arguments made here?

@Yuraga

I'd appreciate it if you could go through the texts you've provided and pick out the phrases that back your argument so that I'm not confusing myself by reading 40+ pages of text about a mythology that I'm not an expert in.

Second paragraph of the first link. "Shu was one of the Ennead of Heliopolis, and the first to be created by the self created god Atum who created him from his own spittle. He was the husband and brother of Tefnut (moisture), and father of the Nut (sky) and Geb (earth). It was thought that his children were infatuated with each other, and remained locked in a perpetual embrace. Shu intervened and held Nut (the sky) above him separating her from his son Geb (the earth). Thus Shu created the atmosphere which allowed life to flourish. Four pillars located at the cardinal points of the world helped Shu maintain the separation of earth and sky, and were known as the "Pillars of Shu".

Ra has some serious feats, guy made millions and millions of stars while suffering from old age.

It's sometimes seen as his eye or body, though in most stories it's his eye as he supposedly sends off his eye to look for Shu and Tefnut who had been lost in the infinite waters of Nu.

Hellbeast1 said:
How about the fact his eye is a star?
Hey that sacred-texts site, the stories they told of Ra, they sound like direct translations from the texts. I noticed several different spellings and what not of the gods too.

Still no one has changed anything on his profile, or is there something else I'm supposed to do?

You can remind Reppuzan to comment here again via his message wall.

Anyway, what tier do you suggest for Ra? 3-A?

Eygptian gods are definitely Low 2-C, a character is both infinite in size and eternal, and it even has a (small) multiverse although I don't think anyone scales.

Okay. I suppose that should probably be fine.

He should be Low 2-C at least from what I've gathered so far, he surpassed his father Nu, who was the primordial infinite expansion of water that existed before creation. He should also have concept manipulation due to having made the very concept of order and in fact, made the god associated with it as well as the overall concept. It should also be put that he has Solar Manipulation which I don't understand why it wasn't already there to begin with considering the fact that he's the sun god. There's also Magic Resistance, and it's not just against those inferior to him in power, as Isis can affect his rival Apophis with her magic, but not Ra.

It should be noted though that Ra also had to have made the Aaru, which is defined as a boundless field of reeds. Basically the Heaven of the Egyptian verse, it's from what I've gathered another section of the Du'at (Underworld) that exists within it. If it's boundless as the texts say and the Underworld is able to contain such a place as well as being able to fit the sun boat which carries the sun, I think this could suggest Ra having created at least 1 other domain the size of the universe (Nut). More evidence of this can be found as the Du'at has a river that travels across the entirety of the hellish landscape and out into the void outside Nut (The Universe).

ZacharyGrossman273 said:
Possibly 2-C?
I believe it's very likely that he's 2-C having created the universe, as well as all the other parts of creation. The Aaru is literally called a boundless field of reeds where all the gods and humans live in peace. The Underworld was capable of containing such a place within itself, plus it has a river that travels all the way from Geb's point in reality to Nu who is outside the universe. It's possible Ra created 3 universal domains.

He was also able to move about in the water of Nu without any problem which was an infinite watery void that predates even time and space. Shu and Tefnut were able to perform the same feat as well and actually traversed the void and got lost. Ra's eye was able to traverse the same distance and bring them back to their father.

Ra also had shapeshifting, with the said ability he beat his rival Apophis who is supposedly stronger than Ra, by shifting into a cat form named Mau. Ra should also have soul manipulation as in making the concept Ma'at he had to have established the laws that bind the souls to the Underworld as well as being the one to first establish whether or not souls get to continue existing if they fail the rites of passage. Nu his father admits in texts that Ra is far greater than he, Nu being the infinite void that actually encompasses the entire Egyptian cosmology. The cosmology is actually described as being a mere bubble contained in the abyss. An entire universe and a possible 2 universal sized domains are but a mere bubble to Nu, yet still, he states that Ra is far more powerful. Ra, Atum, and Khepri are all the same god, which should logically give Ra Omnipresence since Atum is quite literally his evening form. Ra should also have void manipulation since he apparently made himself FROM the void of Nu.

You can check under "Mythology" in the Knowledgeable Members List for people that you can ask to comment here via their message walls. You can also use the supporters and neutral sections of the Mythology verse page.

It is also preferable to focus on the staff members for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back