• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fear and Hunger Cosmology (CRT)

StretchSebe

They/Them
Finally, the first Fear and Hunger CRT.

After a lot of discussion about the cosmology of Fear and Hunger in the replies of the original blog, as well as with Abstractions on the forums, most users coming in afterwards seem to think it was time we had a proper CRT for the cosmology, and to get the verse onto the wiki.

Currently, others are setting groundwork for characters: Namely their pages, their tiering's, and how those in relatively same tierings they would scale to each other given the disparities in time between games (characters from the second in fights with characters from the first, who seem able to keep up with guns in speed despite coming from a pre-industrial age being a good example). But in getting a page for this kind of verse to be established finally, it is key to have a consistent, and thorough explanation, and documentation of how the world itself works to begin with. I started with cosmology itself, but others have been doing good work on two key systems within the verse as well:

The system of souls: How they work, can be harnesses through soul stones and how their properties can influence/drive a person's characteristics, capabilities, and fate have all been subject to discussion and information sharing currently. Especially when it comes to the consistent use of statements such as something along the lines of an item granting 'the strength of X (amount of) men" potentially referring to common souls. Discussion has also started about F&H's system of magic, which seems to be a belief-based system that is used to alter reality (and potentially in some cases fate) in order to cast the magic itself, which is why most magic cast is reliant on the overbearing influence the Old Gods have on the world.

That's where I come back in. Back in March, I felt confident that there was enough evidence in the dialogue and texts I went through to suggest that the cosmology could be consistently explained and observed, namely when being observed from one playthrough to another. After all the discussions I've had, I find the state of my blog on the cosmology to be satisfactory as a starting point for the CRT, having been greatly improved and better substantiated the main points through such discussions.

The greater scheme of things appears to be a multiverse. Often referred to in game as simply 'the world' as other games/fictions do when it comes to their own multiverse (i.e, Undertale). The multiverse can be primarily observed with the different timelines experienced in said playthroughs and their variances. Even regardless of playthrough there are various examples of spacetime displacement; with the player party both traveling back in time in order to accomplish things in the present, and potentially being transported to another space and time entirely upon reading a magic book, evidence by the ability for using such to survive an otherwise unavoidable game over.

In game mechanics also seem tied to the mechanisms of how the world works beyond incidental stuff like loot differences: Coin flips appear to be the fate of the playthrough, and are mentioned in verse with regard to an ascended god who seemed to have fate itself on their side. Darkness among other immaterial forces has the capabilities to warp and corrupt things physically and mentally through mere exposure. This is particularly important given most in game events that are experienced in real time, yet the 'ever-changing in shape to challenge new visitors' nature of the dungeons is only seen across playthroughs, and never in a single playthrough. New Gods themselves gain their knowledge and power over the greater scheme of things by going to The Void, a place where the Old Gods were born, and is heavily implied to be outside the typical space time of the game. The Old Gods hold conceptual authority over concepts within the verse, such as The God of the Depths holding conceptual authority over the aforementioned force of Darkness. They themselves have been said to not just exist before the world, but to have 'moved on' from the world as well, no longer being a part of the greater scheme of things despite their unshakable concepts, and discernable, yet infinitesimal traces still proving to be immensely dangerous. Their concepts are only able to be challenged or assumed by entities of comparable qualitative superiority to the greater scheme of things: Ascended Gods. The primary canon ending of the first game is just that: The God of F&H becoming, and becoming the one in which the concept of darkness is derived from instead (evidenced by her symbol being highly similar to that of the God of the Depths).

Despite forming within the world, her influence outside it appears to be through the forces of fear and hunger themselves retroactively existing since the inception of the world. Such forces of fear and hunger being represented, and granted such immaterial importance from the power of the Ascended God also forced humanity to break it's stagnation. She was considered responsible for progressing humanity out of the middle ages and into the industrial age.

All of this is a pretty reductionist summary of the blog, but still; I do believe the game presents enough to players for us to at least say that the cosmology operates on a multiverse, and that top tiers operate outside that multiverse!

From here, I hope we can find some agreement, and get started with getting F&H onto VSBW proper.

Despite having a somewhat differing opinion on the subject, I am here to answer any questions people have regarding information listed in the OP. Feel free to ask.

Low 1-A seems like it definitely won't pass and Low 1-C, well I don't really think there's sufficient evidence for now but I'll just remain neutral and see the arguments about it. Is there any mentions of their world being called a universe or even infinite in the verse? Because if not the size might be very limited and world might not qualify for low 2-C/tier 3 since the wiki is kinda picky about that.

Like I said before, the Low 1-A stuff really doesn't have support for it. But Low 1-C for their true forms looks fine.

The evidence is extremely lacking for Low 1-A. Unfortunately, I disagree with L1A.

Low 1-C true forms is pretty clear, though. I agree with L1C.

Low 1-A seems like it definitely won't pass and Low 1-C, well I don't really think there's sufficient evidence for now but I'll just remain neutral and see the arguments about it. Is there any mentions of their world being called a universe or even infinite in the verse? Because if not the size might be very limited and world might not qualify for low 2-C/tier 3 since the wiki is kinda picky about that.
Isn't it assumed that the universe is Low 2-C/3-A unless otherwise specified? I might have fallen behind with standards again.

I can concede the Old Gods, and Ascended Gods not being Low 1-A. That said, they should be at least Low 1-C.
Isn't it assumed that the universe is Low 2-C/3-A unless otherwise specified? I might have fallen behind with standards again.
I'm not sure. That said, with the evidence from dialogue and texts provided, it seems that this verse involves more than just a universe. Fate is a large part of the verse, and numerous 'fates' or timelines are put on full display from playthrough to playthrough. Variances of things range from little consequence (loot, dungeon layout changing, smaller random events) all the way up to things of possibly the most consequence (game overs & coin flips events, endings, the birth of new/ascended gods, etc).

In it, we also see consistencies, such as character locations, important enough locations themselves being exempt to the changes in the dungeon one can see from playthrough to playthrough, and the 'coin' representing fate showing us how both sides can exist.

As said in the blog, often it is the difference between getting a game over or not, whether it be due to a highly dangerous enemy attack, or even just things like trying to read the Necronomicon or join the Sylvian orgy without losing one's mind. We cannot experience the alternatives in a single playthrough due to the linear nature of causality we're bound to playing as mortals, but we know one can read the Necronomicon + join the orgy and not lose their mind, and we know similarly that every enemy coin flip doesn't automatically result in (typically) instant death if we call the coin right.

On that, there does seem to be one 'linear' timeline on which these all converge that mortals experience linearly as evidenced by the second game. Again though, we play as mortals, and from the outside we can still see that this 'main' timeline is heavily influenced by the possibilities from other timelines. Details from various endings are present in Termina, ranging from Ending C all the way up to the individual S Endings. Key details used from some endings even conflict (notably Ending C, and the S Endings, where he's already dead, as well as details from Enki's in particular), but still coexist with the details used from the others in this main timeline.

Like I said before, the Low 1-A stuff really doesn't have support for it. But Low 1-C for their true forms looks fine.
The evidence is extremely lacking for Low 1-A. Unfortunately, I disagree with L1A.

Low 1-C true forms is pretty clear, though. I agree with L1C.
All that, and yes: The Old/Ascended Gods undeniably have qualitative existence and power outside the greater scheme of things that contains all of these fates/timelines.

Key details used from some endings even conflict (notably Ending C, and the S Endings, where he's already dead, as well as details from Enki's in particular), but still coexist with the details used from the others in this main timeline.
I will note that my position has changed on the subject of Ending C being canon, as the Yellow King stuff isn't really accomplished like the ending would imply. The needing for the blood ritual when immortality is a key New God feature is also a noteworthy thing in that.

It's more likely that only the resurrection was the thing to occur.

I will note that my position has changed on the subject of Ending C being canon, as the Yellow King stuff isn't really accomplished like the ending would imply. The needing for the blood ritual when immortality is a key New God feature is also a noteworthy thing in that.
To be fair, New Gods are immortal, but they seem to be unable(or unwilling) to affect the world upon dying. Kaiser could just have been hoping to avoid the Hall of the Gods.

He is highly likely in a similar state to the Yellow King Le'gardless. He has the clothing, the asteriks, black orbs, etc.

To be fair, New Gods are immortal, but they seem to be unable(or unwilling) to affect the world upon dying. Kaiser could just have been hoping to avoid the Hall of the Gods.
That would be fair, but New Gods still don't melt into mush, Nas'hrah also retains function after decapitation and sought to restore his body for centuries when he could have stepped into the Hall and then got re-summoned by a follower of his.

Also, the fight takes place in the Hall, he would have just come back immediately.

He is highly likely in a similar state to the Yellow King Le'gardless. He has the clothing, the asteriks, black orbs, etc.
The clothing and magic isn't an immediate sell though, he could have learned it over the centuries he spent as a blood golem of sorts. His skin isn't a sickly green as it has been described to be, and it falls off completely with Rot.

His presence is rather impotent compared to what the Yellow King was supposed to do, Kaiser didn't achieve those things and had to take by brute force. Just as he did when he overthrew the Bremen council.

That would be fair, but New Gods still don't melt into mush, Nas'hrah also retains function after decapitation and sought to restore his body for centuries when he could have stepped into the Hall and then got re-summoned by a follower of his.

Also, the fight takes place in the Hall, he would have just come back immediately.
It's a very specific part of the Hall. We see no other New Gods there and only arrive after... staticky teleportation?

Also, all his followers who were in the bunker, not the Hall of the Gods, far away enough for it to be risky, since he was adamant about keeping Logic safe... plus they'd likely all be dead.

The clothing and magic isn't an immediate sell though, he could have learned it over the centuries he spent as a blood golem of sorts. His skin isn't a sickly green as it has been described to be, and it falls off completely with Rot.
It's too similar to be dismissed. The implications are too obvious, and the characters describe Le'garde as an ancient presence, much like other New Gods. Plus Pulse and Anxiety plays for him, something that only plays for gods.

(S D'arce Ending Le'garde also claims to have ascended to godhood anyway).

His presence is rather impotent compared to what the Yellow King was supposed to do, Kaiser didn't achieve those things and had to take by brute force. Just as he did when he overthrew the Bremen council.
He wouldn't be in his prime at this point due to the passage of time. He's also thrown his ego into the green (I assume literally, as All-Mer did something similar) so that likely doesn't help.

New Gods and even Ascended Gods tend to take things by brute force anyway. We have the New God endings in the 1st game, and All-Mer's example.

Not to mention he explicitly tried to do the same thing as Ending C and only failed due to Ending A happening at the same time. Hard to beat an Ascended God as a New God, even as exceptional as the Yellow King is.

It's also worth noting that we don't have Kaiser's motives, nor do we know much about the blood ritual he did (beyond some kind of resurrection).

It's best to go with the simpler answer until we know more. Unless we wanna go with the whole Suplher, Gro-gorath, All-Mer thing too.

It's a very specific part of the Hall. We see no other New Gods there and only arrive after... staticky teleportation?
Whether it's a specific part of the Hall or not doesn't really matter, I'd say. It's the same place Logic leads you to in the very beginning dream sequence.

Also, all his followers who were in the bunker, not the Hall of the Gods
When I talk about followers I'm explicitly referring to the difference in immortality we see from Kaiser compared to New Gods and Nas'hrah. Nas'hrah if he really wanted could restore his full body easily should he accept death and go to the Hall, he'd only need a follower to summon him to pull him back into reality.

It's too similar to be dismissed.
He's trying to fit the motifs he wanted for himself all those years ago, but it's a facade designed to mask the truth of what he is; what we see when we use Rot.

(S D'arce Ending Le'garde also claims to have ascended to godhood anyway)
Because he died and then came back, he'd have assumed he was successful and ascended in some way in a sort of delusion. When he returned he became more of a warlord, which is how he acts in Termina.

New Gods and even Ascended Gods tend to take things by brute force anyway.
That is however contrary to what the Yellow King did, who was supposed to be something more. The Yellow King was on the right side of fate at every turn and was uniting the western world very quickly through this understanding of the greater scheme - Kaiser took to things by force, and his main manner of success in creating Logic was after he had been pilled by the New Gods, just as they were pulling at him in the first game when he aided in the conception of the Girl.

Not to mention he explicitly tried to do the same thing as Ending C and only failed due to Ending A happening at the same time.
Except they were to achieve different things, GoFaH aided and pushing humanity forward and away from stagnation where the Yellow King was shepherding them and creating unity. Both could occur at the same time, it's just that Kaiser lacked the influence his New God form would have had.

It's also worth noting that we don't have Kaiser's motives
We do get a bit of an understanding of them with his dialogue with Nas'hrah, I feel.

When I talk about followers I'm explicitly referring to the difference in immortality we see from Kaiser compared to New Gods and Nas'hrah. Nas'hrah if he really wanted could restore his full body easily should he accept death and go to the Hall, he'd only need a follower to summon him to pull him back into reality.
He doesn't have followers. He's pretty universally hated at this point.

Because he died and then came back, he'd have assumed he was successful and ascended in some way in a sort of delusion. When he returned he became more of a warlord, which is how he acts in Termina.
We don't really know if his ascension then is a delusion (plus I'm not exactly a fan of D'arce's ending being 100% canon, as Le'garde is clearly not a bloodthirsty madman).

But Le'gardless, all the motifs of the Yellow King are present. Perhaps he could be taking on trappings of what he wanted to be with clothing and illusion, but that doesn't explain the asteriks, black orbs, or Pulse and Anxiety playing.

That is however contrary to what the Yellow King did, who was supposed to be something more. The Yellow King was on the right side of fate at every turn and was uniting the western world very quickly through this understanding of the greater scheme - Kaiser took to things by force, and his main manner of success in creating Logic was after he had been pilled by the New Gods, just as they were pulling at him in the first game when he aided in the conception of the Girl.

Except they were to achieve different things, GoFaH aided and pushing humanity forward and away from stagnation where the Yellow King was shepherding them and creating unity. Both could occur at the same time, it's just that Kaiser lacked the influence his New God form would have had.
He unites humanity by unknown means, but it likely involved warring, considering the knights, not just Le'garde, were said to return in Ending C. Plus it's how our characters as New Gods can unite the world when they directly meddle like Le'garde does.

Not to mention the girl being an Ascended God means the coin will favour her over him. The way she wants the world to be is fundamentally different and somewhat opposed to Le'garde.

We do get a bit of an understanding of them with his dialogue with Nas'hrah, I feel.
Yes, this dialogue references Ending C

If anything, Nas'hrah's dialogue confirms Ending C happened in some shape or form, even if he ascended as a blood golem or as a human.

Not to mention again, all implications point to him being a New God. He even references the green of the void.

He doesn't have followers. He's pretty universally hated at this point.
Yellow Mages serve Nas'hrah through a mutually exploitative relationship between student and master, they are his followers.

the asteriks, black orbs, or Pulse and Anxiety playing.
We shouldn't pretend that Black Orb is an unobtainable skill, he's had a long time to be able to learn it. He also only has one Asterisk out of five that he's supposed to be able to summon, and lacks the ability to use Salvation.

I wouldn't call Pulse and Anxiety a tell as much as it is a nod to the fact that you are facing Le'garde, Pulse and Anxiety isn't strictly for New Gods as it is for boss fights, much like how The Four Apostles is for unique enemy encounters like Cavemother and Crow Mauler.

You can actually fight Chambara the resident jobber in F&H1 and 2 and the only time Pulse and Anxiety plays is during the wheel fight, other than that it plays the standard encounter track.
He unites humanity by unknown means, but it likely involved warring, considering the knights, not just Le'garde, were said to return in Ending C. Plus it's how our characters as New Gods can unite the world when they directly meddle like Le'garde does.
The united humanity, it said. Not conquered it, our New God selves ruled with an iron fist and in our impotence are inevitably cut down like the others, our efforts even prove to be reductive if we take that approach whereas the what the Yellow King was doing was seen as a positive. It's a wildly different outcome.

Not to mention the girl being an Ascended God means the coin will favour her over him.
The coin isn't favoring the Girl as it is more that she is the one guiding where the coin falls, she's a force of nature that rules over fate just as Old Gods do, as that is what it means to be at their level of power. It's a different dynamic compared to that of a New God. who are wiser immortal superhumans and not concepts.

If anything, Nas'hrah's dialogue confirms Ending C happened in some shape or form, even if he ascended as a blood golem or as a human.
It just wouldn't be "Ending C" as we understand it, as Le'garde would need the four souls for that and Enki already took them. Which would inevitably result in the Yellow King not being a thing or living up to what was intended.

Yellow Mages serve Nas'hrah through a mutually exploitative relationship between student and master, they are his followers.
I meant Kaiser. No one is left to summon him.

We shouldn't pretend that Black Orb is an unobtainable skill, he's had a long time to be able to learn it. He also only has one Asterisk out of five that he's supposed to be able to summon, and lacks the ability to use Salvation.
Having one asterik is proof enough, and goes alongside the general weakening all New Gods suffer from age.

I wouldn't call Pulse and Anxiety a tell as much as it is a nod to the fact that you are facing Le'garde, Pulse and Anxiety isn't strictly for New Gods as it is for boss fights, much like how The Four Apostles is for unique enemy encounters like Cavemother and Crow Mauler
Pulse and Anxiety is an ost only used for gods, both old and new.

You can actually fight Chambara the resident jobber in F&H1 and 2 and the only time Pulse and Anxiety plays is during the wheel fight, other than that it plays the standard encounter track.
True, but when Pulse and Anxiety plays, it is only for gods.

The united humanity, it said. Not conquered it, our New God selves ruled with an iron fist and in our impotence are inevitably cut down like the others, our efforts even prove to be reductive if we take that approach whereas the what the Yellow King was doing was seen as a positive. It's a wildly different outcome.
Uniting can come via conquest. We aren't given specifics and the Yellow King has gathered another army in Ending C, judging from the return of the Knights

The coin isn't favoring the Girl as it is more that she is the one guiding where the coin falls, she's a force of nature that rules over fate just as Old Gods do, as that is what it means to be at their level of power. It's a different dynamic compared to that of a New God. who are wiser immortal superhumans and not concepts.
Yes, but the point is, her existence means she can interfere with Le'garde's own sway over fate. In fact, Kaiser literally implies this with his dialogue about the girl interfering with his own attempts at fulfilling the prophesy.

It just wouldn't be "Ending C" as we understand it, as Le'garde would need the four souls for that and Enki already took them. Which would inevitably result in the Yellow King not being a thing or living up to what was intended.
Le'garde never collects the souls in any ending, he just takes the throne once the way is clear. Could just do it before or after Enki, very easy.

Plus there's the whole weirdness about him already having embodied all four souls according to Nosramus.

Le'gardless, Nas'rah's dialogue insinuates he made it to the throne and sat on.

Reference is also made to the green of the void and the greater scheme of things by Kaiser. Not to mention he categorises himself as one of the many Kings and Sultans (New Gods) who tried to succeed the Old Gods.

Last edited:
Le'gardless, Nas'rah's dialogue insinuates he made it to the throne and sat on.

Reference is also made to the green of the void and the greater scheme of things by Kaiser. Not to mention he categorises himself as one of the many Kings and Sultans (New Gods) who tried to succeed the Old Gods.
The situation with Le'Garde is definitely a good example of why the main timeline within the greater scheme of things is a little messy; given the influences of the details from others within it. Regardless, he's bound in the greater scheme of things like any other character who isn't an Old/Ascended God.

On all this talk of Termina though, is there anything within Termina that does help expand and/or contribute to our understanding of the cosmology?

In my research, I couldn't find anything besides the fact there are details taken from various first game endings that range from compatible to conflicting as a part of the main (back)story for the second game. That is why I didn't really go into Termina much in the blog, but if there is information I'm unaware of that could provide more insight or details into the greater scheme of things specifically, those would be mighty helpful from those who are knowledgeable on such.

Anyway, the main focus of the thread is the cosmology, so the focus should probably go back there.

Personally against 1-A but for Low 1-C.

No strong feelings about the New Gods ranking, but Low 2-C seems less reliable than upscaling them from the cast.

Personally against 1-A but for Low 1-C.
Ah, I feel they're sufficiently transcendental of dimensionality, their concepts being either immaterial, immeasurable, or both, but I can understand there not being enough beyond that for tiering above Low 1-C.
No strong feelings about the New Gods ranking, but Low 2-C seems less reliable than upscaling them from the cast.
This one I would argue more for even if I feel more strongly about the Old God tiering. Probably cause I've argued the Old God tiering plenty already, but I digress.

I think upscaling from the cast only applies after a first cycle for any given New God.

They ascend in a place distinct from earth, and before time where the Old Gods were born, and gain immortality (at least in that they cannot age/die due to time passing). They also have the power to leave that place and time as we see with Le'garde. When asked about The Void, the New Gods answer: "How do you know about the void? This is truly curious. The void is... It is the other side of the coin, so to speak. If your world is the other side that is. Some also call it 'The true Ma'habre'... It is a correct term in a sense as that indeed is the plane where the older gods were said to exist once upon time. I'm afraid even our knowledge is limited when it comes to the void. It is the plane where ascension is finally possible. Thus all of us have spent an eternity searcing its empty corners..."

A lot to unpack, but what I found the most compelling was, as immortals, the use of the world 'eternity.' Like how they use the term 'cycle' after describing time as a cycle to discuss how each New God dedicates their 'cycle' to a certain pursuit, it doesn't seem like they're just throwing out 'eternity' to flippantly describe a long period of time. Especially given their own knowledge of the greater scheme of things gained from ascension, and the fact they have the power to leave The Void when they want. It's also dubious that they would be lying or stretching the truth given the simple fact of the matter of their shared experiences and failures in attempting to gain more knowledge of The Void not only matters little to their plans or others, but also is just that: A simple fact that they haven't been able to glean much more than their surface understanding of The Void besides it being where 'ascension is finally possible.'

Additionally, the sheer amount of them in the Hall of the Gods (the extent we never see, but get plenty of hints at being in a far greater number than Old or Ascended Gods) also seems to suggest that the 'cycle' has been in motion for a raw amount of time that spans far beyond just one universe or timeline. That after the first cycle in which a New God rules humanity, they resign to the Hall. I do think that this is because they lose a significant amount of that power (coinciding with the fact that they cannot stop the world from decaying due to the Old God's absence), and this makes them far more vulnerable despite their immortality. After a cycle, I definitely wouldn't think they'd be Low 2-C, but I do think it's only then that upscaling would make sense.

Maybe at least they could be upscaled in physical stats, and have 'up to Low 2-C with fate manipulation' in relation to the power they gain after ascension (at least in their first cycle). As a group in the Hall, they use the tactic of manipulation of others, and rely on the New God in the current cycle to be the main figurehead to carry out their grander plans like with the birth of the God of F&H. We're explicitly told with an ascended Le'garde that he seemed to be 'choosing the right side of the coin at every possible turn,' which as also discussed in the blog, the usage of a coin seems to be an analogy for how mortals understand fate.

Last edited:
The thread has slowed down quite a bit.

Is it safe for me to assume most are alright with wrapping up? If that is the case - at least as far as I understand - would it also be safe to say that practically:
  • The cosmology could be used for the inevitable Fear and Hunger verse page (gonna do some final clean up of some sections and formatting for the blog)
  • The Old/Ascended Gods would be accepted as Low 1-C
  • New Gods are messy bitches who would be upscaled from the cast for physical stats at the least, and/or given 'unknown with fate manipulation' tiering?

The cosmology could be used for the inevitable Fear and Hunger verse page (gonna do some final clean up of some sections and formatting for the blog)
Sure
The Old/Ascended Gods would be accepted as Low 1-C
Their true forms as ideal concepts would be.
New Gods are messy bitches who would be upscaled from the cast for physical stats at the least, and/or given 'unknown with fate manipulation' tiering?
Something like that.

Cool. Did the clean up last night. Now to return to the general discussion thread to get started on the verse page.

Back