• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fantasy Sword-Fighting - Cutting Through Armor

Matthew_Schroeder

VS Battles
Retired
I wanted to start a discussion about something that I find quite recurring in Medieval Fantasy / "Historical" fiction, namely the way battles are typically portrayed.

Now, real life Longswords, Katanas, Battle-Axes and so on are ranked at 9-C. They can easily cut through limbs, pierce someone's body, and depending on the quality of the blade and the wielder, cut someone in half. However, if you are in anyway knowledgeble about Real World historical fighting, you will know that these weapons were almost compleely innefective against armor. Which is why weapons such as the Warhammer, Mace, etc were invented, as they could actually do harm against a fully armored opponent.

If you have ever watched Youtube channels like Skallagrim, Metatron and Shadiversity you know what I'm talking about.

Even things like wooden Shields and Polearms are far more durable than people would believe, and no sword in the world would be able to fully pierce / slash through them in one swing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcfIZA4nmtc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQjJavcsNjA

However, in fiction the case is completely different.

Within Fantasy and quasi-Historical fiction, what we will often see is that the important character will effortlessly mow down through hordes of enemy mooks, and be capable of cutting / piercing through shields, armor and often other steel blades. This happens in Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire, King Arthur stories, Lord of the Rings, The Witcher, the videogame For Honor and generally any story in a Medieval-ish setting you can think of.

In For Honor, the game makes a clear distinction between the regular soldiers (Who are still trained warriors in full armor wielding well-made weapons), and the hero character. The former are easily demolished by the later, and in gameplay you can easily one-shot them, slice them in half, shatter their shields with one swing of your blade, etc. Meanwhile a Hero vs Hero match takes time and skill.

Sometimes this is justified, like in ASOIAF where some characters wield Valyrian Steel blades, which are far superior than any other sword in the Verse, or are simply slight Superhumans (Like Gregor Clegane and his brother Sandor). But in other Verses, there is no explanation for this.

My point is, how can this be quantified and ranked? It'd be dishonest to simply treat it as PIS and "Flashyness meant to look cool" if it happens numerous times in the story. And we can't claim that the foot soldiers are horrible warriors weren't awful armor either, cause this would also often contradict the story (Why would a nation's main army be made of incompetent amateurs?). Instead, we have to assume that the important characters are simply "better" than everyone else, and these feats should be considered and used.

What do you guys think? Do you think it'd be fair to rank these types of characters 9-B for being capable of slashing / piercing through full armor, or not?

Idk. At least <insert real life AP here> perhaps? It's an unquantifiable amount higher than a normal weapon, but at the same time, these characters would probably have little to no feats higher than that.

First I also watch Skallagrim and Metatron so yay :)

Now this is a recurring thing in every medieval fantasy franchise. Be it books, movies what have you. The concept of "cardboard armor" is very widespread. You have knights in full plate armor getting slashed and downed with a single swing of a weapon. This should not happen under ANY circumstances in real life. Swords and axes are not made to cut through armor.

There is historical proof that battles would last for many hours because weapons were ineffective against such armor.

I don't really think we should treat characters who cut through armor as superhumans, unless there is specific proof that their weapon is special or they themselves have other feats to back this up.

You can't really take For Honor as an example. Those warriors are minions. They are meant to be killed with one swing. It's simply gameplay mechanics.

At least Street level+ or Wall level sounds good to me.

@Rin

I don't think the argument that they are "meant" to be killed can be used, as we could use that same reasoning to argue that whenever a game character dodges a bullet the bullet is simply just slow as it is "meant" to be dodged.

Off of that though, I agree completely. I'd like it if someone could do a basic calc real quick to prove that cutting through armor like this is Wall level rather than just, say, really high Street level. But yeah, this seems good.

Matthew Schroeder said:
And we can't claim that the foot soldiers are horrible warriors weren't awful armor either, cause this would also often contradict the story (Why would a nation's main army be made of incompetent amateurs?).
You can't use this argument either in the case of For Honor though. Those foot soldiers all have the same equipment and do the same repeated basic swing and bash. Are you telling me a nation's army consists of only sword wielders that know only those techniques?

No. It's like the super soldiers in Metal Gear with an IQ of 300 being fooled by Snake walking in a circle. The For Honor soldiers obviously know more techniques than that (or maybe they don't, it is a fantasy world right?).

But that doesn't change the fact they are wearing the same kind of armor and such you are wearing, yet you vastly outperform them through sheer strength and speed. But whenever someone else like you shows up you gotta hunker down.

They're not that shorter than you, some are even your size. And they are very skilled, the three factions have been warring for 1000 years and so their techcniques are now almost second nature and are passed from generation to generation.

I am very disatisfied with our ASOIAF pages, by the way. They are mostly based on the show, while they should focus on the books which are the primary canon, and they don't convey the epicness and quality of the series at all.

But fixing them is for another day.

Glad to see others here that like Skallagrim's videos :)

But yeah cutting through these types of armors and shields is very obviously a superhuman feat (regardless of whether or not the authors intend it to be, which isn't very relevant)

Characters that are able to do this rather easily I have no problem in rating as Wall level. Especially seeing the great difficulty weapons have doing damage to wooden variations alone.

How about rating these characters at 9-C by themselves and 9-B with swords only (if backed up by proper calcs of course)? As @Ryukama said, even if the authors did not intend for them to be superhuman, they still often do have borderline superhuman feats. When it comes to stories with supposedly "normal" humans, authors often don't 100% know how strong these characters really are supposed to be.

PS: I watch Skallagrim as well and really like them. Not watched Metatron though.

@Matthew, @Rin, @Perpetual, @Ryukama

Any of you watch scholagladiatoria?

@Soldier Blue Can't say I have. I would recommend starting a new thread if you want to discuss this any more in-depth, for concern of this thread not getting derailed from its designated purpose...

Nothing to be sorry about, just making sure everyone's got their wits about them and is on track, all that.

So, to recap, everyone here in favor of "can easily pierce/cut through plate armor/mail/metal" as a justification for a Wall level rating?

It seems so, yes. However, I am not sure how we are going to highlight this as an official policy in the wiki.

Weapons such as warhammers and maces generally apply the surface area ratio where the surface area of sharp point would be vastly smaller compared to the surface area of the armor they make contact with. Also important to know is that the surface area at the blade of the sword would be larger than the surface area at the tip of mace/warhammer, thus it would be much harder for the sword to pierce through said knight's armor.

Now, you see there characters in fiction are who are capable of cutting through armor with impunity with the blade end of a sword, and the enemy's limbs would fly right off their bodies. It is safe to say that you would need to be multiple times stronger than an average warrior to do so.

There is a feat in Vinland Saga where Askeladd literally cuts a man in half, helmet and all, with a viking sword. In reality, a regular person would only nick said helmet with a slice. As for what this means...

Cutting through limbs/armor with impunity should be rated Wall level.

So literally any movie / game character who can kill fully-armored opponents with single sword swings would be "Wall level with Sword"?

Yes, of course. Just because Jon Snow has a sword that can cut through armor and tear people apart, doesn't mean he can destroy a wall with his bare hands.

If they can kill knights in armor with sword swings, it means that he/she is generating enough kinetic energy to completely slash through said armor. This is done through a combination of the person's mass, as well as their speed.

Killing an armored knight with sword swing should be just flat out Wall level, as you are physically generating enough kinetic in your attacks to do so.

Now when we're talking about armored knight, what armor are we talking about here? Because obviously armors differ in defense effectiveness.

In that John scene people seem to be wearing either leather armors or some kind of gambeson, although there are some that are wearing chainmail so I dunno.

Well if full plate armor gets you Wall level, I suppose lower class armor also should be Wall level since the Tier is pretty wide, but maybe a calc can clear it up I'm not sure.

Also, I think the AP can be transferred to their physical strength. Here John sends a mounted dude flying backwards with just a swing. Considering that guy was accelerating quite a lot, the force needed to pull that off should be high as well.

In the case above, it seems that most kills done on that scene were done via stabbing wounds, which require less effort on the user's part to punchure through defensive armor.

Also it seems that no limbs, or body parts were hacked off, although some fatal cuts with the sword were made.

When things are getting sliced in half with the sword, I mean something like this, which would require tremendous physical strength on the user's part.

Yeah,but it's important to say that with same strength his punch wouldn't break the armor for sure. Actually I don't know if it makes any damage on it other than breaking the bones in your hand.

In the video that Matt posted, I am okay with a feat like that at Street level, Wall level with sword.

However, in a case like the picture I posted above with Askeladd, something like that is much higher than what a regular human can perform in terms of strength. It is guaranteed that person who can do something like that should have some serious power, even with just their physical strikes.

It seems like most people agree with the proposal, but the question still remains how we are going to be able to inform the community about this standard in practice?

^ Simple. Just be sure to use feats (such as that feat @Lina posted) and proper scaling/reasoning (such as contending with a character capable of stuff like what @Lina posted) to justify a 9-B rating and don't just give anybody with a sword or axe or hammer a 9-B rating?

Now how to properly word this rule is the problem.

Back