• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fantasy Sword-Fighting - Cutting Through Armor

Personally i would prefer a calc for these.Cutting a small amount of steel would probably resutl in Street level instead of Wall level.

"Even things like wooden Shields and Polearms are far more durable than people would believe, and no sword in the world would be able to fully pierce / slash through them in one swing."

Give a good sword to a really strong/muscular guy and he will surely be able to cut through a wooden shield in a single slash.

No, it doesn't. His weapons are high-quality, and he's trained in swordfighting. The difference strength between you and the strongest people on Earth is just *10 times.

People aren't super-strong, and there's no evidence in historical accounts of war of wooden shields being tore in half.

It's just not possible to do.

HaveSomeBlade said:
Unless you show me a really strong guy trying to cut it and failing, my point still stands.
It should be you the one to show the really strong guy that can slash a shield in two with a single slash. Since you presented the argument in the first place.

With the exception of maybe this guy , no one in the world could ever do the sort of superhuman feats you constantly see in medieval fiction.

Skallgrim may not be the strongest guy of all time. But if a crappy wooden sword tanked attacks from him, I highly a peak human would be able to do any worthwhile damage to an actual, quality steel shield meant for warfare. Especially cleanly slice it in half in one shot.

No, you have the burden of proof my friend. If you claim a strong man could cut through a wooden shield (of unknown size may I mention) you provide evidence for it.

"Skallagrim is weak AF. He'd never do that. And those aren't really good weapons at all."

Talk about slander.

I am personally okay with Geralt being 9-B, as steel armor in general is incredibly difficult to split apart/cut with a regular sword. It would take someone with superhuman strength in order to do so.

So, we are all okay with Geralt being rated 9-B then, correct? It would make sense considering that if a regular person tried to slice (not pierce) armor, you will likely find out that only a small dent has been made throughout the armor (especially chainmail/plate armor)

This was why blunt/sharp-end weapons such as axes, war hammers, and bows/arrows were created as they take advantage of the ratio between the surface area of the tip of the weapon vs surface area of the armor in order to deal lethal blows with less effort on the user's part.

• (surface area of blade/tip)/(surface area of armor)*(Kinetic energy of said attack with weapon)
That is all you need to know.

Also, should the changes be made to Geralt's stats as well as Striking Strength if we all agree with this upgrade? Would Geralt's Striking Strength be rated Class KJ, or Class MJ?

Would that make Apollyon from For Honor Class KJ+ as well?

She has some feats that approach Gerald's bisecting of a man in full plate armor.

Back