• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Fanfic Cliches

The main protag in the fanfic is hilariously more OP than the Canon Version. Universal Naruto anyone?

Call me Sue. Mary Sue.

Either in OC form or the author turning their own favorite canon character into one. I have read so many pieces of fanfiction where characters who are portrayed as at the absolute most "moderately powerful" within canon are turned into unstoppable gods simply because they're the author's pet character.

Most fanfics of Shonen Anime have that Trope, that is:

The Protagonist is a loser for the most part of the Anime, but is allowed to return all the way back to the beginning while maintaining their old consciousness, allowing them to fix past mistakes and start off overpower and devoid of any and all Character Development, because they are already fully developed and only serving as a device so the author can insert, and write their own desires for wish-fulfillment bullshit

and Hentai

things that weren't in the original work

Akreious said:
The main protag in the fanfic is hilariously more OP than the Canon Version. Universal Naruto anyone?
What?

You got a link to that because that sounds hilarious.

A metric shiton of Ben 10 fanfics have a laughably forced way of starting the fic off. Usually involving Ben losing all his friends and family. Witch makes absolutely no sense, considering how there are guys that literally exist outside of time that can hep him undo such an issue.

Another obnoxiously common cliche in Halo crossover fanfics , usually involving either Mass Effect or Star Wars, the Halo side is buffed with unrealistically powerful sets of Forerunner technology, and are top dog in the fic, curbstomping all of the opposing side. It is truly vexing.

Percy Jackson fics also involve the whole "being betrayed by everyone he knows and loves" thing even though it's laughably implausible given how much the gods rely on him to do their dirty work on top of the potential war Zeus would start with Poseidon if Percy were to be harmed.

Another cliche I hate is when the personality of a character is written as a "Badass ************/BAMF" who acts practically nothing like the original character and is often a colossal jerkass. Yet he usually has some overpowered, unique ability that makes everyone magically forget about just how much of an asshole they are and that they're the hottest shit ever to walk the Earth.

I normally don't like cussing like this, but it's just how much I hate that cliche.

Harem fics are also everywhere.

To this day, I do not understand the obsession with harems in literally every single fandom. Even ******* Halo characters get harems.

Are the authors in their more hormonal years when the idea of having a ton of girlfreinds excites them?

Homu Sweet Homu said:
VersusJunkie54 said:
Are the authors in their more hormonal years when the idea of having a ton of girlfreinds excites them?
Nails it.
I mean, I'm a teen myself and I've never ever understood why having more than one significant other would be even remotely appealing. Aside from being outlawed in most places, Polygamy is rare for a reason.

Back