• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What is a fanfic?

During a discussion about if It's fair to create profiles for a verse called "burguer brawl" where one of the main characters is literaly burguer king I found my self in a debate of "what is fanfic"

so for here I bringh this

The Thingu
and
Claycat's The Thing

My first trough was, to be a fanfic the original universe need to be reconizable even under a "makeup" to make the non original characters or structures still be reconizable, like thouse of brand mario clones for cellphone

but whem remenbering Thingu It made me wonder, is the no copright version where all the pingu characters are changed to be cats still a pingu fanfic/parody? I'm not 100% sure of whaat I'm talking aboutm the troughs coming in my head are kinda vague and confusing for me

what I mean is, is Underpants a fanfic or only a parody? is The thingu a pingu fanfic? if It is, is The cat version a fanfic? can this really bad mario parodies from dorly be considered fanfic?

is this fanfic? I know It isn't parody

Here's what I think.
  • Thingu is a fan-fiction that parodies The Thing. It takes place in the setting of Pingu and uses characters from that show, while referencing the idea of a shapeshifting alien from The Thing. Due to the blatant reference to the actual movie The Thing, with that being the main focus of the story, it is very close to being a fan-fiction of that too. It's almost like an unofficial crossover.
  • Claycat Cinema is its own work that parodies other works, with your example being a parody of The Thing and Thingu.
  • Mobile games that imitate the Super Mario series are their own works as long as they don't include actual properties from Super Mario. This is because Nintendo doesn't own the game mechanics involved in the Super Mario games, it only own the characters, iconic objects and notable settings, so if those are made to be their own things, it's not similar enough to Nintendo's work for it to be considered as fan-fiction. If the advertisements for a game imitating the Super Mario series use footage from a Super Mario game, I don't think it disqualifies the game, because it's the footage is just to bait people into downloading the app that is an entirely different game than the footage, so the ads don't count as accurate to the game.
  • Underpants is both a fan-fiction and a parody. Its setting is deliberately Undertale, and the episodes are comedic versions of events from the game featuring the characters from that game. A viewer needs to know about Undertale for the contexts in Underpants to make sense, although the episodes are enjoyable regardless.
  • The videos by Dorkly about Super Mario are both fan-fictions and parodies. Its setting is deliberately Super Mario, and the videos are comedic hypothetical scenarios in the Mushroom Kingdom using its characters, in ways that are based on Nintendo's work without giving explanations within the videos.
  • The video "Super Mario vs Sonic the Hedgehog" by Scouthedog1 Animations is a crossover fan-fiction of Super Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog. It takes place in a setting of the Super Mario series, and the animation is deliberately a VS battle scenario between a team from that series and a team from the Sonic the Hedgehog series.

This actually makes a lot of sense, thanks for the imput(This also mean that I can make a profile for claycats lol)

about claycats, It's made by the same person that made thingu after the original animation was taken down by copright, so they re made It but using cat's to not be taken down again

Back