• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Explosion Calculations

I've been struggling to learn how to calc this one explosion, so this is gonna be a god send. Thanks, Lina.

Is Antoniofer's explosion method actually agreed upon?

I believe Kkapoios and Alakabamm were in opposed to using it, rather prefering always using of the inverse-square law, I think?

I would check over his formula being correctly derived from the source formula in any case, I have tried derivating it on my own and got a different formula (see my second comment). His might or might not be equivalent to that.

Anyway looks good so far.

Keep in mind that I disagreed with Antoniofer's explosion method as well. However, it may prove useful in some situations, such as pressured need to blow someone's body/head off, etc. It applies to this one calc that someone did.

@DT: I will link you the calc later if necessary.

Well, if that many disagreed with it we should probably not use it. (or at least not unless the amount of disagreement changes)

Perhaps I should place the "Under Revision" tag on the page until it is finished?

I havd now informed Alakabamm and Kkapoios about this forum thread.

@Ant: That would be good, yes.

Also, I would like all the staff members to give suggestions on what should be included in the explosion calculation pages. Keep in mind that the page as of now, is just for basic explosions only.

Perhaps adding more examples would be good, although making the actual page too long would discourage other users from reading the full article.

A long article is not a problem. Featuring calculations for different types of explosions is probably good.

It would be helpful if people can give examples of calculations involving different types of explosions. Anywhere from OBD, or from here will do.

Well, I am the wrong person to ask. Sorry.

However, you can inform the rest of the calculation group about this thread, to ask them for input.

1.The page doesn't count the fact that regular explosions don't fanction the same way as nuclear ones.The result of the yield of the nuclear calculator should be multiplied by 0.5 to find the yield of a regular explosion.

2.Logically the explosion is getting weaker the further you are from it so the inverse square law should be taken into account.

@KKapoios: I will edit the pages according to your suggestions, although I am wondering how the inverse square law should be written in regards to explosions.

For durability feats of a character, applying the surface area ratio in comparison to the explosion yield should work.

For example, find the surface area of a character that makes actual contact with the explosion, and compare that with the surface area of the actual explosion.

Thoughts?

Did you place messages, asking for input here, on the walls of the rest of the calculation group?

The surface area of an average person is around 1.8 m^2, we should use half of it since explosions usually hit only the front or the back of the person (so 0.9 m^2 for an average person).

Explosions usually have a spherical shape (or a hemispherical when they happen on the ground)

So the final formula should look something like this:

Durability of character = yield of the explosion*Half of the surface area of the character / surface area of the explosio

I think that Kkapoios seems to make sense.

Changes will be added soon, according to LordX and KKapoios suggestions.

If there is more that you want added don't hesitate to ask.

Edit: I forgot to mention this earlier, but it seems that the explosion yield equations Alakabamm derived don't seem to work properly. Reason being that the yield value for fireball is actually smaller than the near total fatalities value when you plug the same radius into their equations.

So, I have updated the explosion calculations pages. Now then, let's discuss the issues with the explosion equations that are in my blog.

For example, I noticed that the near total fatalities value is actually bigger than the fireball value via plugging in X as radius of said explosion.

This should be the opposite as the fireball value should be much larger than the near total fatalities value if the X value being used is the same.

Will edit this post later.

Lina Shields said:
So, I have updated the explosion calculations pages. Now then, let's discuss the issues with the explosion equations that are in my blog.
For example, I noticed that the near total fatalities value is actually bigger than the fireball value via plugging in X as radius of said explosion.

This should be the opposite as the fireball value should be much larger than the near total fatalities value if the X value being used is the same.

Will edit this post later.
NTF got lower values for my Metroid calc that nuke calculator did, so it might be a matter of scale.

The nuke calculator is fine. The equations that Alakabamm derived along with the equations in my blog don't work.

So, is everything worked out concerning this issue? Is the explosions page acceptable?

I need Alakabamm over this thread to discuss the explosion equations that he developed, as the equations do not work correctly.

However, we do still have the near-total fatalities equations that we can use, so I will add that onto the Explosion calculations page.

Hmm. That may be a problem, as Alakabamm seems to have disappeared.

I have added the near-total fatalities equation to the explosion yield calculations page.

Now, the explosion yield page seems to be finished for the most part. If anyone wants to add things to the page, they can message me about it.

Edit: DT can message me whenever he needs to regarding the explosion calculations. LordX and the other calc team members may do so as well.

Back