• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Energy and DC Required to Destroy Mars' Olympus Mons

Huh, somewhat old question here...

Definitely gonna need him for this, yeah.

It is a pretty big mountain than even Mt. Everest, so i'm thinking it's like Large Mountain tier roughly just by reading about it and eyeballing it. Though that depends on whether it's just pulverizing it, vaporizing, or whatever. Of course i can't determine it, so i'm just guessing of what it can be at least assuming you're just breaking it in one attack.

Well, Large Island/Small Country level seems appropriate. But a calc still would be better.

@T023: Oh yeah, that's right. I read about it on wikipedia online, but i only accounted for the height of it alone. Not the width of it.

@Sera: Ah, yeah. Looking at it, it could easily be either of those tiers. But a sort of quick calc or otherwise should help it better to properly determine it.

Sorry for being late, been very busy lately. I can't find an exact estimatation on the volume of the Volcano but I found this:

https://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/atlas/olympus-mons.html

"The largest of the volcanoes in the Tharsis Montes region, as well as all known volcanoes in the solar system, is Olympus Mons. Olympus Mons is a shield volcano 624 km (374 mi) in diameter (approximately the same size as the state of Arizona), 25 km (16 mi) high, and is rimmed by a 6 km (4 mi) high scarp. A caldera 80 km (50 mi) wide is located at the summit of Olympus Mons. To compare, the largest volcano on Earth is Mauna Loa. Mauna Loa is a shield volcano 10 km (6.3 mi) high and 120 km (75 mi) across. The volume of Olympus Mons is about 100 times larger than that of Mauna Loa. In fact, the entire chain of Hawaiian islands (from Kauai to Hawaii) would fit inside Olympus Mons!"

Luckilly, Mauna Loa has a valculated volume. It is 40,000 km^3

40,000 * 100 = 4,000,000 km^3

4,000,000 * 1,000,000,000,000,000 = 4,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 cm^3

4,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 * 214.35 = 8.574e+23 J

204.9 Teratons of TNT

Big rock.

Back