• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

"Elite" Matches

SomebodyData

El SiD
VS Battles
Joke Battles
Retired
After seeing the Sailor Moon VS Goku battle being set up, I thought to myself "What if we could have more contreversal matches set up like this?" Which is kind of why I made this. The system goes like this a 2v2 or 3v3 match between experts discussing over who would win. Of course an admin would be there to secure that no one else would enter and disrupt it, including other admins. And when a match is decided it would be added to be notable victories or losses with a special note to classify as an Elite Match for credibility purposes. This would help solve credibilty issues and the problem of contreversal matches. A thread can be made for requesting these kind of matches by members for experts and admins. So yeah, please consider this option and thank you for your time.

I'm pretty knowledgeable with certain characters in the Marvel and DC universe.

And Very Knowledgeable in Bleach and other animes/Manga

now the problem is how do we determine experts from wankers and downplayers? maybe the experts have to have been appproved by an admin or had stayed long enough on vsbattles for a while?

yesssssssssssssss, i think im going to post this on a admin's page, thats okay right?

How exactly would you determine an "expert"? None of the Vs threads that I have seen in this wiki have had particularly elaborate rationale discussions within them, and there is no reason to think that this would work any better. The ACF allegedly recurrently has much higher quality in that regard.

Antvasima said:
How exactly would you determine an "expert"? None of the Vs threads that I have seen in this wiki have had particularly elaborare rationale discussions within them, and there is no reason to think that this would work any better. The ACF allegedly recurrently has much higher quality in that regard.
I think that's what SS is getting at. There is often a woefully small amount of discussion within vs threads, and getting individuals well versed in certain franchises would likely allow the threads a significantly higher validity.

Well, to write a quiz one would need to be a expert on the series themself, so that doesn´t work well when doing debates involving verses one doesn´t know.

And who would decide which battles are interesting enough to do this with them?

It would need a lot of staff participation in moderating the battles and actually making sure that they are fair if it is done. So there could not be any given number, but just one battle at a time or something.

I also know from lurking around on vs battle boards that in certain threads the usual experts sometimes forget to bring important arguments, which is painful to watch. There are also few people from which I believe that they are so knowledgable of a verse that no one else could add in something important.

So while something like a TV-style debate between experts of different groups might be interesting, in practice we just can not produce somthing of so high quality that it would deserve taking place in a closed session.

I agree with DontTalk. In addition, it would be hard to find "experts", they might not agree with our tiering system, and it would require the already strained staff to take up an extra, quite unimportant and unnecessary, task.

SomebodyStupid said:
we should also add on a verse's page a list of experts
Ooh, we should have a page all dedicated for that, members expertises or something, and everyone can go there and add himself and his expert verses, like in this format:

Marvel:

Member X

Member Y

Member Z

One piece:

Member A

Member B

Member C

This way we dont have to check every verse to find their supporters, with everything in one page, in fact, i may start to create that.

but sadly, we dont know how to check if someone is an expert. though right now im trying to make credible way to determine how

SomebodyStupid said:
but sadly, we dont know how to check if someone is an expert. though right now im trying to make credible way to determine how
Lets leave it to each person, if they think they are let they write their name down, if they prove not to be we just risk it

I wouldn't mind someone listing themselves as an "expert", as long as they are a trustworthy member who has demonstrated significant knowledge of the verse on numerous occasions.

I got Harry Potter and Silent Hill covered

Also Dragonball, however i think we got plenty of those

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about Yu yu hakusho and Hunter x hunter as well

Would I count as an expert in pages I've contributed? I'm fairly well-versed in their lore, and if I can't remember something I know where to look to put the pieces back together without much trouble.

ThePerpetual said:
Would I count as an expert in pages I've contributed? I'm fairly well-versed in their lore, and if I can't remember something I know where to look to put the pieces back together without much trouble.
If you think you know enough seems fair

@ThePerpetual

I'd say that's fine. I don't think someone would need to be infallible in order to consider themselves an expert. Simply being significantly knowledgeable and unbiased would be enough.

Aye. You can count me for any of:

Disgaea (the primary branch of the Nipponverse),

Blazblue,

Star Ocean (though I've only actually played 3 yet, I've a good grasp of the lore as a whole),

Child of Light (probably the main person responsible for demonstrated how startlingly powerful the verse is),

Dragon's Dogma,

and Legend of Zelda.

I will likely be an Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy, and Devil May Cry "expert" as well, but currently I do not believe myself to have sufficient information. I'll try to become such, however. Is this acceptable?

I still think that this is a very bad idea. Also, somebody could appoint him or herself as an "expert", and suddenly their opinion would be worth more than everybody else's. And then there are all the other reasons against it that I and DontTalk listed earlier. I definitely don't wish to waste inportant admin resource time on something like this.

Per definition, our job is supposed to be to monitor that no bad edits are made, ban rule-offenders, and make decisions regarding content revisions. That is more than enough to do already.

It is more than enough that we have already just revised the versus board rules in the front page.

how about "experts" dont have their opinions on a higher tier, but just are a page to get people for a debate?

I personally like the idea quite a bit, but I do agree that "expert" may be misleading. I don't want this to be something that says "my opinion > yours", but simply a tool people can use to find individuals who are knowledgeable on a franchise instead of having to make a thread about it or something.

how about "People who say to be knowleadageble of a series" or "Possible debaters"

Back