• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Durability necessary for different levels of tanking bullets and reflexes for deflecting them?

So, I'm kinda making some worldbuilding here as well as thinking about games in which normal bullets give a character chip damage but do not kill them nor are no-selled. So I was wondering: what level of durability (if possible, an order of magnitude in Joules they can punch in order to produce similar damage) does a character have if they can withstand 9mm rounds and other such common ammunition (pistol rounds which aren't especially high caliber, standard NATO rounds like 5.56mm) against their skin while only suffering mild damage?

By mild damage I mean stuff like scratches and bruises. Basically a character who doesn't wanna stand there and keep getting shot, but can take a crapton of gunfire without going down, effectively being able to use their superhuman-but-not-faster-than-eye speed to close in on real life soldiers and then beat them up or decapitate them with a katana.

Also, what kind of reflexes and speed does a character need to be able to deflect bullets from an automatic weapon? Assuming they can "aimblock it" and what they're actually doing is quickly lining up their sword with a projectile's trajectory between each shot, rather than necessarily reacting to it after the bullet's been fired.

I'm trying to figure out the, like, "minimum level of physical attributes" in which a fictional character is capable of curbstomping real world soldiers and how much destruction they'd cause, how fast they'd be.

Bullets have kinectic energy on that, they do abuse surface area for penetration but if you can tank them nornally you are tanking their energy around you, so you need the pistol to know it.

That can be calculated but needs a lot of info, basically we need to kno the distance the bullets are when the character starts reacting, them we can fin their speed relative to it.

Fo example, if they rotate their arms for 70 cm when the bullet is 1 meter away from them, they have 70% the bullets speed.

Bullets have kinectic energy on that, they do abuse surface area for penetration but if you can tank them nornally you are tanking their energy around you, so you need the pistol to know it.

That can be calculated but needs a lot of info, basically we need to kno the distance the bullets are when the character starts reacting, them we can fin their speed relative to it.

Fo example, if they rotate their arms for 70 cm when the bullet is 1 meter away from them, they have 70% the bullets speed.
Yes, but like... assuming we're talking about the typical bullets I mentioned (9mm Parabellum, .38 ACP, .45 ACP or 5.56mm NATO, fired from a pistol, a revolver, an assault rifle or a submachinegun), given that bullets abuse surface area, how much power would there need to be in a punch for it to cause the same amount of damage on someone who is merely lightly bruised by a bullet?

That's my question. Because, clearly, human beings exist that can tank punches on the thousands of joules and still be able to fight (by having a large body and stiffening their muscles so that any concussive force would actually have to move their neck, shoulders and maybe even torso in order to actually move the head around, therefore drastically multiplying the force necessary to cause a concussion), but even these human beings are gonna be instakilled by a single one of these shots. Even when wearing body armor, bones are gonna break underneath it.

So what durability do you need? It's clearly not just the amount of Joules in that bullet, people who can survive that in punches die to that bullet.

Bumping this thread 'cause I really wanna know. It feels like the durability required would be over the lower end of 9-B.
Like, let's divide 9-B like this: tens of kilojoules is low 9-B, hundreds of kilojoules is mid 9-B, megajoules is high 9-B, and once we get a little over ten megajoules we're in 9-B+ territory.

If I gave a sledgehammer a bullet-like tip, would it be able to pierce someone? Or if I tried to hammer a .38 ACP bullet into a person? Sledgehammers are 9-C+, so it seems like we're clearly into 9-B territory.
Now, something stronger than a sledgehammer would be a Raven's Beak, a medieval weapon which is basically a polehammer: a very powerful two-handed and long bludgeoning weapon. If using it to hammer a bullet into a person were to fail to pierce, given that it's very likely that the Raven's Beak is a 9-B weapon given its weight and length being swung around at high speeds, it would leave us with the need for mid 9-B to reach the "equivalent bludgeoning force attack potency" necessary for tanking bullets with only bruises.

This is all about pressure and stuff, but that's ignored in fiction once a character is bulletproof, so we just look at the energy.

Yes, a punch from mike tyson hits harder than a bullet, but surface area saves your bacon, if his hands were as small as a bullet you would be dead.

Is kinda like ant man training you know? A punch on that size either hurts no one or kills a man because is like a bullet

But what if I want to be a little more realistic with the concept of pressure? Lmao
Like, there are many humans who are 9-C+ and I can still slice straight through their bones with a katana.
So like, how much energy do I need in a punch to damage someone who doesn't get cut by a katana? Should I multiply by the ratio between the areas?

Bumping this 'cause I'm still curious.
I don't know, typical pistol shots would be like low-end 9-B because they can break bones like a sledgehammer although are far more focused? High caliber pistol shots as well as typical rifle rounds (such as 5.56 and 7.62) would be mid end 9-B, then high caliber rifle rounds (up to .50 BMG) would be high end 9-B?
Don't have a way of knowing. Seems like a huge guess.

Fiction isn't realistic with pressure, and it stops mattering when you are bulletproof

We simply get the energy, swords tend to just scale to the max damage they have caused or higher than the user's AP (someone that is 7-A in base uses a sword, that sword would be higher than their AP)

Back