• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Bird EX's Speed Feat

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I recently went and watched the entire F-Zero anime (really good, gotta say).
And, I was kind of hung up on one thing.
So, right now Ryu Suzaku's Dragon Bird EX, and by extension the Black Bull and Blue Falcon, are getting their speed rating from escaping the explosion of the Dark Matter Reactor.

But, it kind of didn't.

When the explosion finishes, we see the wreckage of the Dark Matter Reactor in the same place as the rest of the Mobile Task Force, who were all in the Dark Star near where the explosion happened. And then immediately after, the Dragon Bird appears from the wreckage of the reactor not moving of its own volition, and Ryu is knocked out.

All this combined kinda makes me think that Ryu didn't actually escape the explosion, and rather the Dragon Bird EX just tanked the blast. This is also backed up by the fact that the Blue Falcon also is seen in the future piloted by Ryu, and Falcon got out of the vehicle before it could escape the blast. So if the Blue Falcon could tank the blast, it seems feasible the Dragon Bird EX could as well without having to escape from it.

Idk, maybe some F-Zero experts can explain it to me.

I'm not an expert, but looking back, yea its probably more so a durability feat rather than a speed feat. Though I do think that the vehicles should still remain MFTL+, just at an unknown number, as normal F-Zero vehicles travel throughout the Galaxy on a regular basis. Like here, when the Falcon Flyer crosses several star systems in seconds. There is a better example of this somewhere, but I can't find it atm.

I don't disagree with MFTL+ as a rating, just the specific feat currently being used to justify it.
I think an unquantifiable rating is fine, but as something quantifiable maybe just look at either the Pico feat or even the feat of Ryu reacting to a meteor.

I can't really give any solid input without seeing it. Do you have a video of the scene?. If it happened how you explained it in the OP then yes, I'm fine with removing that as a feat for speed.

Explosion starts here
Go to 17:22 to see the end part.
The ruins are the wreckage of the Dark Matter Reactor's container shell, with the Dragon Bird appearing out of them after the explosion finishes, when the explosion originated from the DMR to begin with.
We see Ryu still in the container shell before the explosion happens.

I see thanks. I'm fine with it being removed. What would the new MFTL+ description be?.

I guess it would be something like "Comparable to ships like the Falcon Flier and Galaxy Runner, which can cross several star systems and interplanetary distances in a short time", and then link to the the part Rtx cited above.

I also considered maybe upgrading Ryu and those that scale to him to slightly higher speed based off his dodging a meteor in Episode 8.
Or maybe just outright scaling the Reactor Might pilots reactions to MFTL because to activate Boost Fire the characters need to turn off the safety features of their machines and pilot them during BF to avoid crashing into obstacles.

But that might be for another time.

This seems pretty straightforward given the video so you could update the pages.

Oh, and one more thing.
Blood Falcon at one point possessed a Reactor Might in his Blood Hawk and could use Blood Fire (equivalent to Boost Fire)

So should he have another key with the typical scaling of other Reactor Might users?

If the statistics are different and it was notable then yeah, he could have another key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back