• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Density question

Golden_Void

VS Battles
Retired
Does durability correlate with density? For example, cinematic Bruce Banner is probably average human with regards to density, but Hulk can have bullets bounce off of him and be unaffected by explosive ammunition. If so, is it a quantifiable increase?

Nah it doesn't. For example, titanium is more durable than iron but the former is heavier

In terms of fiction though, like Luke cage has super hard skin which not even a normal metal drill (except for the Judas bullet) and a needle couldn't pierce his eye iirc.

Fiction does some times treat density like being proportional to durability.

Like Stitch or Asgardians being denser than humans thus stronger and more durable.

Though since this isn't the case with real materials i wouldn't treat it as a general rule.

Seems like it could be unquantifiable then. If I was trying to find the density of the hulk since it's obviously greater than a human's, I wouldn't be able to do so then it seems.

One place I checked suggested using the density of lead as a minimum.

Then I saw a Nerdist video that suggested Cage doesn't have a higher skin density, because that would just add to his skin weight, not skin strength.

He used an 8g, 9mm diameter bullet at a velocity of 360m/s, and said if his skin is bulletproof, then the bullet should stop before it travels through 2mm of skin, so he assumed the bullet doesn't pass the thickness of a hair, 0.05mm in 1ms.

So the formula for Cage's skin strength was proposed as:

Ls (luke strength) = (8g*360m/s)(1/0.001s)/(9mm*pi*0.05mm)

Which gives 2.037GPa (gigapascals) or 2.037e+9 N/m^2

At least. Kevlar measures in at 3.62 GPa.

I still like the first idea. :/

I would take such videos with a grain of salt.

I've seen so much bullshit from youtube videos trying use "science" to explain how powerful characters are.

Back