• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Density of Dust

CloverDragon03

He/Him
VS Battles
Calculation Group
Okay, so this has been bugging me for some time: there's not really a concrete value for the density of dust. I figured that having an accepted value would be useful in at least some calculations, but I wasn't sure what value it would fall under, so here we are. So far, all I've really found was this website, which gives an article that would place dust's density at 1.41 g/cm^3 to 1.90 g/cm^3, which translates to 1410 kg/m^3 to 1900 kg/m^3. However, given that this is even denser than water, I'm not sure what the general consensus is for this.

So basically, I wanted to make this thread to establish an actual value for the density of dust, if possible. Let's try keeping this as a Calc Group Discussion for the most part. People that are knowledgeable enough but aren't CGMs can obviously participate too, I just don't want this getting too cluttered.

Last time I tried to do a dust calc I just got told to use the density of clouds since it’d be hard to account for the space between the dust when finding the mass and clouds would be a good lowball apparently

Okay then, what about dispersed dust?
According to this, the air-to-dust mass ratio of Black Friday (which was way worse than most dust storms) was roughly 26,133 : 1, so if air density is 1.225 kilograms/m3, then dust density is 0.0468756 grams/m3; similar to the water content in clouds.

In other words,
Last time I tried to do a dust calc I just got told to use the density of clouds since it’d be hard to account for the space between the dust when finding the mass and clouds would be a good lowball apparently
cloud density (1.003 kg/m3) is a pretty big highball

Back