• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DC Verse page rework

Amelia_Lonelyheart

Luckiest Lady in the Land
She/Her
VS Battles
Retired
As many of you may know, I've been trying to revamp the DC verse page gallery in tons of different ways, from separating pages by their 'family' (Superman Family, Batman Family, etc) to by which era they appear in, but ultimately I and others decided on alphabetical being the best way to do this.

TL;DR DC's verse pag being split by character makes sense at face value but becomes a nightmare the more pages we make, so an alphabetical solution is best.

Main rebuttle I hear is: DC is rigid, villains and cast members for one character don't really interact with other.

This was somewhat true until around the 80s. It is true that many Golden/Silver age villains didn't leave their typical rogue galleries as often, but this still happened a quite a lot. Black Hand tangled with The Flash on a number of occasions, Shark was treated as a Green Lantern, Justice League, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Superman villain, and Solomon Grundy kind of speaks for himself.

Beyond that, some villains are simply associated with numerous characters. Goldface has been a presence to both Hal and Wally at different points in his history, King Shark is a menace to both Aquaman and Superboy (who has his own rogues gallery) among SEVERAL others, Cheetah is notably associated with Flash due to her connection with Eobard, etc.

In addition, team memberships are also very complex. Beast Boy has famously been a member of Doom Patrol and Teen Titans, Power Girl has been a notable member of the Justice Society, Justice League, Birds of Prey, Superman Family, and Infinity, Inc. Which would she go under? Or do we list her in multiple spots? She also has her own villains, admittedly most of which were introduced very late into the New Earth canon and don't have many appearances, but some notable ones include Satanna (who doubles as a Hawkman villain) and Ultra-Humanite (who doubles as a Superman/JSA/Green Lantern villain). Outsiders and Suicide Squad both have pretty fluid members, but still have iconic member like Katanna and Rick Flag respectively. Then you have guy like Deathstroke or Lex Luthor, who have been apart of basically every major villain team like the Secret Society and Legion of Doom.

You might argue that we should only list their most iconic team appearances, but that doesn't work either. Pre-Crisis Superman was arguably more iconic as a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes than the Justice League, but of course he's also super well-known as a Justice League member. Batman's most known team is the Justice League, but we can't undermine his connection to The Outsiders either, given that he founded the team.

While I was discussing this with another user, they said we should get rid of team section for this very reason, but that would just make the format we currently use even worse. So many characters are only associated with a team, major ones too. Starfire technically has her own supporting cast, including Darkfire and Blackfire (the latter of which was also a Hawkman villain, and even killed Hawkwoman), but of course she's mostly associated with the Titans, Outsiders, and Outlaws, so getting rid of team memberships while keeping the pages split by character will result in a HUGE amount of characters getting placed in the 'other' section.

Other notes;
  • It looks nicer since sections are bigger, instead of small and janky.
  • Possible detraction is that Green Lanterns will dominate the G section but meh.
  • This can help ease confusion when making pages that don't seem to fit any section, or may fit several.
In short, we should split the verse gallery as alphabetical instead of by character/team as it's a logistical nightmare and ignores how the universe tends to be set up beyond first glance. Here's my mock-up of how it works.

Any thoughts?

I definitely agree with the alphabetical listing cause NGL, the page is kind of a mess right now. Continuities aren't split except that Vertigo is for whatever reason, the categories are kind of arbitrary/inconsistent and there's just a bunch of characters that aren't categorized at all even though they could be, like Animal Man or King Shark.

Oh yeah; Vertigo having its own section is also knd of arbitrary. Vertigo is both an imprint and a continuity and it can get kind of confusing because not verything Vertiigo publishes is apartf the 'Vertigo Universe', like Brother Power.

I think we should keep the four main continuities as apart of the main verse page (Golden Age, Pre-Crisis, Post-Crisis, and Post-Flashpoint), but I agree other stuff should go to either a 'other univeres' section or their own verse page.

Unsure how to handle stuff like WildStorm, Fawcett, or Fox Comics. They're other companies that DC bought, and should probably get their own pages, buuuut also interacted with DC stuff a lot. Maybe only display the ones who notably do something in DC on the DC page?

Stuff like Fawcett, Charlton and Milestone has basically fully integrated into the DC Universe whilst stuff like Wildstorm still seem to be separate as I recall, so I'd say play it case by case

I agree. Another problem is, the lack of calcs on the page. There are A LOT of dc comics calcs, yet we only have some Post Crisis ones

Stuff like Fawcett, Charlton and Milestone has basically fully integrated into the DC Universe whilst stuff like Wildstorm still seem to be separate as I recall, so I'd say play it case by case
I moreso meant their original incarnatons. Now they're all integrated (more or less), wiith DC characters even joining WildStorm teams.

Fawcett, WildStorm, and Charlton were given their universe designations, but that's probably not enough. Maybe only character wit notable presences in DC should get on the verse page? Like Captain Atom and Peacemaker.

Oh yeh, that is an interesting thing to consider.

I'd still suggest something case by case in terms of profile making depending on the character in question. Charlton's Captain Atom and DC's Captain Atom are two very different characters but Fawcett's and DC's Captain Marvel doesn't really possess enough differences to create two separate profiles as I recall, so they could probably just be made into two keys.

I think doing tabbers may help as well, for indicating character versions.

With this I mean there can be a tab for Post-Crisis, Post-Flashpoint, Post-Rebirth and the like, and thus that way we don't have to redundantly list the same characters repeatedly

This seems uncontroversial to apply.

The only minor suggestion that I have is that the different continuity eras should be kept separate and in chronological order, with the Elseworlds characters also kept in a separate section.

I think doing tabbers may help as well, for indicating character versions.

With this I mean there can be a tab for Post-Crisis, Post-Flashpoint, Post-Rebirth and the like, and thus that way we don't have to redundantly list the same characters repeatedly
Hmmm, what about Supes who has Earth One, All-Star, Red Son, Kingdom Come, Strange Visitor and One Million? Or Bats who has Earth 43, Earth-One and One Million?

Should we put subcategories for each section? Like we keep the alphabetic listing, but we'll have a subcategory for Depictions of God, Cosmic Entities, Heroes, and finally Villains. Also, should we have Watchmen as a separate section or are we gonna include it in Post-Rebirth?

I will say, just give Watchmen a separate verse page. It's a very elaborate verse 99% separate from mainline DC comics.

Yeah, although that would probably also need a Manhattan page specifically for Watchmen since he's like, the most or second most iconic character in it

Also, where would we put members of Doom Patrol? Cuz I made a CRT for creating profiles for Robotman, Dorothy, Negative Man, Crazy Jane, Elasti-Girl and Danny the Street, and it has been on hold since March since the DC Cosmology thread hasn't happened yet. But I'd like to know which section would they under?

Dr Manhattan is specifically anti-AP as far as the original story is concerned. He doesn't generate much energy himself so much as he manipulates the energy around him, in fact, the blue entity you see walking around is just a random collection of particles Osterman uses as a focus onto the material world. His actual ability is controlling what Watchmen calls the "Instrinsic Field" which is essentially supposed to be the four fundamental forces of the universe.

Also, where would we put members of Doom Patrol? Cuz I made a CRT for creating profiles for Robotman, Dorothy, Negative Man, Crazy Jane, Elasti-Girl and Danny the Street, and it has been on hold since March since the DC Cosmology thread hasn't happened yet. But I'd like to know which section would they under?
...why did you make a CRT for that? Just make the pages.

Think there will be 3 profiles for each character, no? Pre-Crisis, Post-Crisis and Post-Flashpoint/Rebirth

Dr Manhattan is specifically anti-AP as far as the original story is concerned. He doesn't generate much energy himself so much as he manipulates the energy around him, in fact, the blue entity you see walking around is just a random collection of particles Osterman uses as a focus onto the material world. His actual ability is controlling what Watchmen calls the "Instrinsic Field" which is essentially supposed to be the four fundamental forces of the universe.
I mean you could scale him above nukes since the world and even Ozymandias believed that he was above the world's weapons.

I'll shift the Doom Patrol pages discussion to DMs, for clarification each reboot version will be in their respective tabber.

Impress and Amelia: So is either of you willing to handle applying what has been agreed here?

Also, is it really necessary to use tabbers for the different eras? Wouldn't it be better to just list them after each other in different sections of the page in chronological order?

Honestly wouldn't it be cool to see all versions of characters like Superman in a row? I don't really have any strong feelings on this but I think it would at least be easier not to split continuities, especially when seeing them side by side would let any people, even ones not familiar with DC, realize that they are different versions

Impress and Amelia: So is either of you willing to handle applying what has been agreed here?
I'll begin working on them
Also, is it really necessary to use tabbers for the different eras? Wouldn't it be better to just list them after each other in different sections of the page in chronological order?
I believe it looks better as tabbers

Honestly wouldn't it be cool to see all versions of characters like Superman in a row? I don't really have any strong feelings on this but I think it would at least be easier not to split continuities, especially when seeing them side by side would let any people, even ones not familiar with DC, realize that they are different versions
I think that the navigation template for the different versions of Superman already takes care of that issue though.

Back