• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DARK LORDS FACE OFF (Palpatine vs Voldemort)

1. Sidious' mind hax should be much higher than Voldemort iirc. The scaling chain to my knowledge appears roughly like this:

Sidious > Entity > Vader > Luke

It isn't out of the question that Sidious could mind hax Voldemort instead.

2. Importantly, Sidious' precognition will be extremely useful in dodging Voldemort's spells, particularly his Killing Curse.

3. Sidious has hilariously greater telekinetic power, it's not even close. Class M vs Class 10 at best. Nothing's really stopping him from just ragdolling Voldemort.

4. Sidious also has higher AP, being comparable to Darth Vader who's about 490 tons, as compared to Voldemort who seems to upscale a bit only from 160 tons.

The biggest question is if Sidious can get past Voldemort's type 8 immortality. Based on some of Voldemort's previous vs threads, it seems this immortality isn't combat applicable anyway.

So I'll be going with Sidious for now.

Palpatine FRA. I mean what can he do against this:

D-brsGJVAAEeA9D.png

1. Sidious' mind hax should be much higher than Voldemort iirc. The scaling chain to my knowledge appears roughly like this:

Sidious > Entity > Vader > Luke

It isn't out of the question that Sidious could mind hax Voldemort instead.
Not in-character. Voldemort has his own scaling too. Voldy > Severus > Harry > average wizard not trained in Occlumency

2. Importantly, Sidious' precognition will be extremely useful in dodging Voldemort's spells, particularly his Killing Curse.
While certainly useful, is not nearly as powerful as Legend's version of it. Voldemort is pretty adept at stacking multiple spell effects one after the other, including AoE stuff (see his battle against Dumbledore)

3. Sidious has hilariously greater telekinetic power, it's not even close. Class M vs Class 10 at best. Nothing's really stopping him from just ragdolling Voldemort.
Thought based teleportation counters.

4. Sidious also has higher AP, being comparable to Darth Vader who's about 490 tons, as compared to Voldemort who seems to upscale a bit only from 160 tons.
Doesn't particularly matter when this would mostly be a hax battle. At least, from Voldy's side. He has way greater variety in that sense, including his legilimency magic allowing him to keep tabs on Palpatine's actions.

Palpatine's best skill feats are in a cqc battle sense, while Voldy has contended against very similar abilities to those of the Emperor and even more esoteric abilities.

Palpatine can stop Voldy's flying, which will promptly force teleportation, and now Voldy knows he can't **** around. The real question is not if Palps can bypass type 8 (which is a non factor), the real question is if Palps can deal with the amount of bs Voldy can conjure up in pretty quick succession.

So, knowing Palps, he would most likely open up with telekinesis to stop Voldy on his track. Voldy teleports and Palps loses his hold (reminder such holds require constant application of the Force), likely going for Force Lightning, tracking Voldy through the Force.

Voldy can transmute the Lightning into virtually anything he thinks of (he could transmute energy-based attacks from Dumbledore into snakes, for example), while simultaneously using his legilimency powers to try and enter Palps mind. This part is way more debatable if he could, as they do have similar scaling chains of mindhax bs, but I can say Palps would most likely resist this. But that would put Voldy even more on edge.

But Voldy can use a myriad of distracting effects, AoE, undodgeable curses and/or charms (hell, the paralysis charm is pretty much an instant win to secure a killing curse).

Me personally? Would vote Voldy.

Edit: Btw, nothing stops Voldy straight up possessing Palps. Something that's way more in-character for him than mindhax is for Palps.

So, knowing Palps, he would most likely open up with telekinesis to stop Voldy on his track. Voldy teleports and Palps loses his hold (reminder such holds require constant application of the Force), likely going for Force Lightning, tracking Voldy through the Force.

Voldy can transmute the Lightning into virtually anything he thinks of (he could transmute energy-based attacks from Dumbledore into snakes, for example), while simultaneously using his legilimency powers to try and enter Palps mind. This part is way more debatable if he could, as they do have similar scaling chains of mindhax bs, but I can say Palps would most likely resist this. But that would put Voldy even more on edge.

But Voldy can use a myriad of distracting effects, AoE, undodgeable curses and/or charms (hell, the paralysis charm is pretty much an instant win to secure a killing curse).

Me personally? Would vote Voldy.

Edit: Btw, nothing stops Voldy straight up possessing Palps. Something that's way more in-character for him than mindhax is for Palps.
Palps would not just hold him with TK, he could easily try snapping his neck with ease. While it's true Canon precognition is not as good in its legends counter part, it still will allow him to predict voldemorts attacks.

Palps would not just hold him with TK, he could easily try snapping his neck with ease. While it's true Canon precognition is not as good in its legends counter part, it still will allow him to predict voldemorts attacks.
Palps likes to toy with his opponents.

Canon precog simply is not good enough here.

Not in-character. Voldemort has his own scaling too. Voldy > Severus > Harry > average wizard not trained in Occlumency
Still doesn't reach Sidious' level since Luke himself resists city-wide mind hax just a few months more or less after A New Hope. And mind hax absolutely is in character for Sidious. Iirc correctly he told some giant monster thing to go kill itself, he also was on the verge of mind haxxing ROTJ Luke, who's vastly superior to his ANH self.

While certainly useful, is not nearly as powerful as Legend's version of it. Voldemort is pretty adept at stacking multiple spell effects one after the other, including AoE stuff (see his battle against Dumbledore)
Except Palpatine's precognition also allows him to sense even the intentions behind Voldemort's actions. Couple this with Sidious' telepathy and he can essentially know what Voldemort is going to do and counter effectively.
Thought based teleportation counters.
Aside from the fact Palpatine's precognition can predict where Voldemort will teleport, he also doesn't need to choke and grab Voldemort with the Force necessarily, he can just as easily use force pushes and waves to knock back and disarm Voldemort.
Doesn't particularly matter when this would mostly be a hax battle. At least, from Voldy's side. He has way greater variety in that sense, including his legilimency magic allowing him to keep tabs on Palpatine's actions.
Again, Sidious is above the likes of Vader and Endor Luke who themselves are massively superior to post-ANH Luke who could resist city-wide mind hax. Voldemort is not mind tampering with Palpatine's mind, while Palpatine can tamper with his.
Palpatine's best skill feats are in a cqc battle sense, while Voldy has contended against very similar abilities to those of the Emperor and even more esoteric abilities.
Voldemort has not contended against someone with the precognitive, telepathic and telekinetic prowess of someone like Sidious, and most of Voldemort's abilities can be countered one way or another.
Palpatine can stop Voldy's flying, which will promptly force teleportation, and now Voldy knows he can't **** around. The real question is not if Palps can bypass type 8 (which is a non factor), the real question is if Palps can deal with the amount of bs Voldy can conjure up in pretty quick succession.
Palpatine will predict where Voldemort teleports and can use telekinesis to just...rip him apart? Snap his neck? Even if he didn't want to use lethal methods (for whatever reason) he can at the very least disarm and disorient Voldemort, although obviously he can go for much more fatal applications of this power.

Yeah good luck transmuting Palpatine's Force Lightning which can take even Vader by surprise, and overpower his defenses as well. Not to mention it was too quick for Yoda too.

Nothing Voldemort has counters the most likely wincon in this battle. Sidious' telekinesis, which he can use to quite literally kill Voldemort before he does anything too dangerous for Palpatine. AP is also a factor here since it's what causes another advantage in Palpatine's favour as his abilities such as telekinesis and Force Lightning can have much more force behind them than what Voldemort can deal with. Hell, Palpatine one-shots Voldemort with his force abilities.
What you mean Voldemort possessing someone as a spirit? He did that only against animals and a Professor who was actively seeking him out, so it's not anymore in character for Voldemort than mind hax is for Palpatine, as I've explained above. Sidious can incap with mind hax just fine, or better yet counter Voldemort's possession (if it's used) by directly absorbing his life-force.
Palps likes to toy with his opponents.
And Voldemort is quite arrogant himself.

Another factor is that it is entirely possible for Sidious to just sneak up on Voldemort. He has done so to even Darth Vader before.

Still doesn't reach Sidious' level since Luke himself resists city-wide mind hax just a few months more or less after A New Hope. And mind hax absolutely is in character for Sidious. Iirc correctly he told some giant monster thing to go kill itself, he also was on the verge of mind haxxing ROTJ Luke, who's vastly superior to his ANH self.
I don't know if canon has the same explanation Legends had to consider raw numbers as potency, but Voldemort himself could also influence the entire Battle of Hogwarts (including Snape himself at the same time). By layers, they are plenty similar, even with range.

Possession is pretty in-character for Voldy, as he went to possess Harry during his duel with Dumbledore to get a win over him.
That's the biggest win Voldy has that Sidious simply can't counter.

Also, AP is meaningless. Voldy compensates through hax.

My vote remains unchanged.

I don't know if canon has the same explanation Legends had to consider raw numbers as potency, but Voldemort himself could also influence the entire Battle of Hogwarts (including Snape himself at the same time). By layers, they are plenty similar, even with range.
I would argue Palpatine has much higher mind hax and telepathy though. He was able to mind hax an entity that in turn could mind hax Vader who could mind hax ESB era Luke, who had developed his powers further than post-ANH Luke (a few months from the events of ANH) who had the feat of resisting city level mind hax.
Possession is pretty in-character for Voldy, as he went to possess Harry during his duel with Dumbledore to get a win over him.
That's the biggest win Voldy has that Sidious simply can't counter.
I've already outlined my reasons as to how Sidious can counter possession through incapacitating with Voldemort through mind hax, or simply absorbing Voldemort's life-force.

Also funnily enough, Sidious has dealt with possession before by just electrocuting the possessor. As seen in ROTS we know that Palpatine can survive his own Force Lightning if he wishes to use this method.
Also, AP is meaningless. Voldy compensates through hax.
AP isn't meaningless, any significant force-based attack from Palpatine one-shots Voldemort, including his ranged attacks like Force Lightning and telekinesis.

All right, a question.

When has Voldemort used Teleportation to dodge? He doesn't know getting hit by Palpatine is a death sentence multiple times over so...

Wait reaper doesn’t force lightning cause it’s victims to become ash or is that a legends thing.

cause if it’s not palpatine can just char Voldemort to ashes with it

Wait reaper doesn’t force lightning cause it’s victims to become ash or is that a legends thing.

cause if it’s not palpatine can just char Voldemort to ashes with it
Palpatine did do it in canon, but it was against Stormtroopers, which... well yeah they aren't exactly wall level in general dura are they? But the heat is a very powerful boon.

Palpatine's Force Lightning can tag fighter ships from Ground to air and cause explosions and shit. I don't think Voldemort could have survived a hit from it anyway.

Can’t he also just use the force and tear poor volde into a pretzel
OOC, or, should I say, he's never done it. He has apsolutely ragdolled a bitch bitches with the force before, but he's never pretzeled them, Obi Wan was the guy I recall doing that in canon and it was against commando droids, not living, breathing individuals

Back