• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Danmaku Minimum Standards CRT

Damage3245

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
I'm not a big fan of the existence of the Danmaku page in the first place but since it exists and has so many users for it currently, I figure we might as well have some reasonable minimum standards in place to effectively judge who should get this ability.

My proposal is simply that we include a wording in the description of the ability that makes it clear that the user should have either tens or dozens of projectiles in the air simultaneously. They don't all necessarily have to be fired at the same time, just so long as they're all active in a specific frame/panel/page/timeframe, etc.

I believe a minimum of 20 - 24 projectiles is reasonable when you look at the image example we're currently using for the page and we currently mention that it has to be a "great amount of projectiles" to qualify. This number would just be introducing a baseline to judge against and say if a character does or doesn't qualify for Danmaku in their abilities section.

Agreed 100% with this. It seems like Danmaku has been mistaking for simply spamming singular blasts whenever the ability is supposed to more akin to beautiful complex patterns and such.

The way we currently have it is like me giving a Somalian pirate with a AK-47 Danmaku via spray and pray tactics.

Definitely agree with this since I've had long in-depth debates within my Bleach CRT's about Danmaku and needed amount of projectiles for a character to gain the ability.

This would definitely squash future debates regarding such things and would help others who are considering adding Danmaku to profiles for them to have baseline number of needed projectiles to qualify for the ability.

The only contention i really have is i personally believe 10 - 12 would be a better baseline but that's only my personal opinion.

agree, its really weird when quantities in the single digits can qualify for danmaku it should be a spam enough to seemingly inconvenience or overwhelm opponents following its origin Touhou.

If we can’t nuke the page sure
Part of me wants to nuke it, but I believe some people like having it around and it does have a lot of users right now which would mean extra work to remove it.

I 100% agree with this.

I don't think it should be removed since I believe it does give a big enough advantage in battle to justify it having a page. At least for those who actually have danmaku, not the people who just spam attacks.

i feel like size of projectiles should also affect it.
I mean, let's say we have a guy with 10 projectiles but they are many meters in size and are way bigger than the average bullet, wouldn't that be more unavoidable than a 100 pattern with bullets the size of a peanut?

i feel like size of projectiles should also affect it.
I mean, let's say we have a guy with 10 projectiles but they are many meters in size and are way bigger than the average bullet, wouldn't that be more unavoidable than a 100 pattern with bullets the size of a peanut?
Not necessarily. And that's not really danmaku if it's just 10 projectiles, its just large-scale/AoE attacks.

There are quite a few Undertale characters who would lose Danmaku, since they have less than 20 attacks on screen. Characters like Froggit don't need Danmaku, as their attacks are rather easy and simple to avoid.

Undyne doesn't ever have 20 attacks on screen, even though I think she should qualify for Danmaku. The highest number of projectiles on screen with Undyne is only 15, and I'm including attacks that the character already dodged but are still on screen.

I'm asking, since someone said spamming attacks don't count. Does Undyne count or not count for Danmaku in this case?

I'm fine with this change, but if this is going through, I need more clarification. Who needs to be changed, or who doesn't.

How would this affect novel characters? Like, I assume if the attack was compared to rain and shit, it would qualify?

I'm not a big fan of the existence of the Danmaku page in the first place but since it exists and has so many users for it currently, I figure we might as well have some reasonable minimum standards in place to effectively judge who should get this ability.

My proposal is simply that we include a wording in the description of the ability that makes it clear that the user should have either tens or dozens of projectiles in the air simultaneously. They don't all necessarily have to be fired at the same time, just so long as they're all active in a specific frame/panel/page/timeframe, etc.

I believe a minimum of 20 - 24 projectiles is reasonable when you look at the image example we're currently using for the page and we currently mention that it has to be a "great amount of projectiles" to qualify. This number would just be introducing a baseline to judge against and say if a character does or doesn't qualify for Danmaku in their abilities section.
I agree but I'd also say the 10-12 maybe even 15 projectiles at once would probably be a better baseline. Also just to get clarification on this

Would an attack like this still be fine to considered danmaku since they user can control whether to shoot off all the projectiles in one go or in a rapid fire manner

I suppose a better example would be this because currently a lot of characters in this verse would qualify for danmaku but changing the bullet limit to 20 t 20+ would definitely neg the amount of character qualifying

How would this affect novel characters? Like, I assume if the attack was compared to rain and shit, it would qualify?
Obviously it qualify, same with statements like 'as many as stars in the sky' or things like that.
It would probably qualify in that case, yes. However, if the situation is vague enough, there's always the "Possibly" and "Likely" ratings.
To add to the vague enough part in the novel context would be things like 'a great amount of attacks were launched', if is just that then a possibly or maybe likely, if there is more descriptions/comparisons statements like above it's solid enough.

Also, personally I think that 10-12 it's a good number to use as bare minimun.

i guess low tier tower of god characters would lose danmaku...if we had any lmao. I guess any ranker and high ranker would keep it simply by scaling

Should we change the definition from:
The ability to produce a great amount of projectiles at once, in order to overwhelm the target by the sheer number of shots.

To:
The ability to produce a great amount of projectiles that are active at once, in order to overwhelm a target who is otherwise able to dodge a few shots.

Under the proposed redefinition, a feat of generating a large number of projectiles for the main purpose of increasing the firepower, where the increase in the number of projectiles does not significantly alter the opponent's capability to dodge, would not qualify as Danmaku.

EX2DTuj.gif
mXuflle.gif

This will make the focus on challenging the opponent's ability to dodge less ambiguous, and prevents a spray and pray with an AK-47 from qualifying.

Should we change the definition from:
The ability to produce a great amount of projectiles at once, in order to overwhelm the target by the sheer number of shots.

To:
The ability to produce a great amount of projectiles that are active at once, in order to overwhelm a target who is otherwise able to dodge a few shots.

Under the proposed redefinition, a feat of generating a large number of projectiles for the main purpose of increasing the firepower, where the increase in the number of projectiles does not significantly alter the opponent's capability to dodge, would not qualify as Danmaku.

EX2DTuj.gif
mXuflle.gif

This will make the focus on challenging the opponent's ability to dodge less ambiguous, and prevents a spray and pray with an AK-47 from qualifying.
Why add the factor of dodging in the definition whether it hinders someones abilities to dodge or not shouldn't define the ability, if I can shoot of 1000 shots simultaneously for each passing second that should still be considered danmaku whether it hinders someones dodging abilities or not the point is that it overwhelms them so even if you're upping the blast destructive capabilities only while maintaining a high number of shots per instance I feel that should still logically be danmaku for the sheer number of blast you can produce in an instant and while doing so rapidly. Overwhelming your opponent with this could happen in many ways not just meaning or rather not just being limited their ability to dodge

Looks like there's largely agreement from people that a baseline number is needed and the Danmaku page can be updated.

Just need to check that staff are okay with 20 - 24 projectiles or if there's disagrement and alternatives are suggested.

It looks like he’s spamming rows of attacks over and over, but the lore states it’s made one at a time, at high speed. For all intents and purposes, it acts like a danmaku

It looks like he’s spamming rows of attacks over and over, but the lore states it’s made one at a time, at high speed. For all intents and purposes, it acts like a danmaku
That sounds more inline with Afterimage Creation than Danmaku.

I've updated the Danmaku page now.

I'll leave this thread open for a while in case anyone wants to address a specific character and see if they need changing.

Back