• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Crushing a pair of glasses

I know it doesn't sound impressive, but I think that actually crushing the lens of glasses would require a good amount of force, since those mfs are thick. I don't know if anyone else has calced it, but I don't really have knowledge on how to calc a crushing feat like that.
image.png

oh i didnt notice the lens
(somehow)
((i need to wear my glasses))
(((assuming i can even find them)))
((((i sure hope they aren't broken))))

The frames are the easy part. The lenses are what's tricky. I wear polycarbonate lens myself. According to this data page from an industrial company, polycarbonate has a shear strength of 9200 psi (63.43 MPa) and a compressive strength of 11500 psi (79.29 MPa): https://www.polytechindustrial.com/products/plastic-stock-shapes/polycarbonate-pc-1000

Yet Matweb puts it's compressive strength at 18 to 86.2 MPa: https://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=501acbb63cbc4f748faa7490884cdbca
To be honest that's not particularly wrong or inconsistent. The first value of compressive strength falls within the range given for the second one, closer to the high-end. It's not very precise but it is consistent at least.

Back