• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Corrosion and Descontruction

So, I recently have been eyeing both pages, and I coming to the conclusion that, they are pretty much the same thing?

Both corrosion and deconstruction relvolve around the idea of inducing a decaying state to matter, in which it breaks down to its smaller components, in fact in many of my chemistry classes, corrosive substances such as acids and oxidants often refer to the decaying effects as a descontruction of matter.

So, based off the above, I would like to know cases in which a power can be assumed to be corrosion but not descontruction and vice-versa.

Well, might be wrong here, but I always saw it that Corrosion decays or rots something, but doesn't quite reach the point that it falls appart or into smaller components as much as it may break apart due to the decay but not worse than just smashing it with force or such, while Deconstruction doesn't actively "harm" or "destroy" rather dissasembles something into smaller components that can go to atomic level or beyond, being essentially a subset of Matter Manip.

I do say you are indeed incorrect, because honestly the descriptors you gave are switchable.
Corrosion by definition dissasembles something into smaller components, whether that molecular or atomic doesn't shouldn't matter much and is not even stipulated in the pages (Granted, we don't call atomic decay "corrosion" due to nomenclature and to avoid confusions).
Deconstructing something on the other hand can make the unaffected pieces break apart due to a structural weakness from the decay.

Also, both actively harm things depends on the context.

Holy ****, New, you're still alive?

Anyway, as for the question, I think it's mostly a matter of how it's presented. Deconstruction is typically quicker(ish) and takes place over the entirety of the object affected simultaneously. Corrosion meanwhile needs to advance upon something and gradually break it down. Deconstruction is typically depicted as a much more controlled process, whereas Corrosion is far less so.

I... contributed in the Reconstruction page 2 months ago with you?

Could you provide a couple of examples of those scenarios in fiction?

They are not at all the same, one is a natural process that is done through a chemical process like metals rusting and becoming weaker overtime or organic matter decaying. Decon has to do with simply separating parts of an object and is not always done through some chemical process but simply because the ability or energy can operate at a certain level.

Whether the process is natural or not really doesn't matter, as many characters listed with corrosion doesn't rely on conventional (Or even realistic) chemical processes. The very first character that had it, Homura Akami, uses it through magical wings. Neither should be the level since that is more a character-dependant attribute.

What ultimately should matter is the intented effect, Corrosion by definition deconstructs thing into smaller bits, decay, rust or dissolution of matter are particular side-effects that are dependant of the substances themselves, but ultimately they reach the same end.

Whether the process is natural or not really doesn't matter, as many characters listed with corrosion doesn't rely on conventional (Or even realistic) chemical processes. The very first character that had it, Homura Akami, uses it through magical wings. Neither should be the level since that is more a character-dependant attribute.

What ultimately should matter is the intented effect, Corrosion by definition deconstructs thing into smaller bits, decay, rust or dissolution of matter are particular side-effects that are dependant of the substances themselves, but ultimately they reach the same end.
Corrosion is a natural process. The Corrosion Inducement page even brings up natural ways of doing it. Point is the source of it doesn't change its end result being a natural thing.

On the other hand Decon isn't always a natural process, especially in the ways so many do it like Aizen or Dark Matter from D. Grayman. And the way it's done is what matters rather than the end results, otherwise we'd give characters decon based off their attacks pulving or vaporizing stuff.

The corrosion pages brings both natural and non-naturals ways of doing it, it doesn't lean on any being the truer one.

The distinction of what is natural also feels arbitrary here. The result is what makes corrosion more natural than deconstruction, even when both abilities achieve the same result of specifically disassembling an object or person to smaller part? In which neither is always done through natural means?

What makes corrosion necessarily more natural than deconstruction outside of these two points? And why being natural be a good important separation for the abilities anyway?

The distinction of what is natural also feels arbitrary here. The result is what makes corrosion more natural than deconstruction, even when both abilities achieve the same result of specifically disassembling an object or person to smaller part? In which neither is always done through natural means?
Corrosion is a natural process, by definition. Them achieving the same results is irrelevant unless like I said, we'd end up giving attacks that vaporize decon which I don't need to explain why that's unnecessary.

What makes corrosion necessarily more natural than deconstruction outside of these two points? And why being natural be a good important separation for the abilities anyway?
Said above corrosion is a natural thing, Decon is done through unnatural means by a ton of characters, as I mentioned Aizen and the energy source dark matter in D.grayman decon stuff through taking apart the matter at a certain level and rendering it into individual particles. Corrosion isn’t simply doing this, corrosion is a chemical process that has to do with changing the matter through oxidation.

I'm back an uh.

Corrosion is a natural process, by definition. Them achieving the same results is irrelevant unless like I said, we'd end up giving attacks that vaporize decon which I don't need to explain why that's unnecessary.

You didn't explain or answer a single thing of what I said, you just repeated the same thing that I'm questioning.
Why is more "natural" by definition? What is the definition you are using? why it is irrelevant.

And how did you came to the conclusion that what I'm arguing for would lead to people gaining decon from AP vaporization?.

Said above corrosion is a natural thing
"Corrosion is natural is because is natural" is what you said.

You didn't give me any of the new points I asked for.
"Decon is not natural because is done by unatural means by a ton of characters,
So is corrosion, again look a Homura Akemi.

I wouldn't have such a problem with the argument if it didn't complety contradict how we treat profiles.
as I mentioned Aizen and the energy source dark matter in D.grayman decon stuff through taking apart the matter at a certain level and rendering it into individual particles, corrosion isn’t simply doing this, corrosion is a chemical process that has to do with changing the matter through oxidation.

Corrosion exactly does that tho, while it can be done through measureable real methods (Optional), the process in question is the same as deconstruction; the dissasembly of a object into smaller little bits, wheter elements, components, or slightly larger substances, by several reactions, not just Redux; there acid-based corrosions, and to an small extent erosion.

You know, you could try to get some staff to look at this.

Failing that, I could @ them for you, though I tend to dislike using said privilege.

Back