• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Conflicting Figures for Size of Toriko's Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys so I noticed something that could be very, VERY relevant to calcs in this series, especially now that we're seeing feats like GOD's tongue stretching around the Earth.

Namely, we have two different and conflicting figures for the size of the planet "Earth" the series takes place on. One of the figures is that the planet has a 220,000km circumference, based on the early-in-series statement that the Mother Snake King can stretch around the whole world, and the recently given size of the Mother Snake as 220,000km long. The other figure is based on Jiji's statement that the planet's surface-area is 659 times its original size, combined with Coco's revelation to us that the planet was originally exactly like our own Earth (even with the same exact continents). This would put the diameter of the planet somewhere around 320,000km (very roughly, I didn't feel like getting a calculator but I'm pretty good at mental math) and the circumference at around 1,000,000km or more.

I think it makes more sense to go with the larger figure. It is based on definitive statements by super-knowledgable characters on the actual size of the planet, rather than statements concerning the size of a creature on the planet. Moreover, the fact that the Mother Snake can "stretch around the world" was always just a legend, anyway ("people say that...," that kind of thing) and was never officially confirmed as fact. It was also a statement made a LONG time ago (hundreds of chapters) in a series that does sometimes have retcons, while the 659-times surface-area statement was made very recently. It never DID make sense to me that a snake which can stretch around the world and is as wide as a mountain-range could somehow comfortably live on just a single (albeit huge) continent of that world. It makes WAY more sense for the Mother Snake to be 220,000km while the circumference of the planet is 1,000,000km.

What do you guys think?

I agree with using the larger one, since the shorter one seems to have been retconned or be a disproven myth, although are we sure that 659x the original size was referring to diameter?

You should probably put the fact that this is concerning Toriko in the title.

Ah yes, that was another spot the 220,000km figure was given, directly referencing the circumference of the planet in the statement. Even so, the 659-times surface-area statement is far more recent than either and could very well be meant as a retcon, especially because it was made by the most knowledgable good-guy character in the series, Jiji. The original size of the planet was definitely the same size as our own, as it has been definitively shown that the "Central portion of Human World" has continents near-identical to our own and is clearly intended to be the equivalent of our own planet's surface.

So what's going on here? 659 times the surface area of our own Earth would imply over 25 times the diameter and circumference, giving a diameter over 300,000km and a circumference around 1,000,000km. What's the deal here????? The figure of 659 seems to have been chosen very deliberately. So I'm seriously wondering if it is a retcon or not.

I mean, this author is always very deliberate with his numbers-based statements of the sizes and amounts of things in Toriko. This COULD have been some kind of math-mistake on his part, but I do not see where he could have possibly made a mistake to get 659 times the Earth's surface-area from a circumference of 220,000km.

The significant thing here is that if the planet is actually retconned to the larger size (1,000,000km circumference) that would make it a rocky/solid body twice the linear size of Jupiter! Its sheer mass would be like a brown dwarf, at the very least, which would suddenly place the highest-tiers in the series (who are all stated to be able to destroy the planet) at High 5-A rather than just 5-A.

Blahblah9755 said:
I agree with using the larger one, since the shorter one seems to have been retconned or be a disproven myth, although are we sure that 659x the original size was referring to diameter?
You should probably put the fact that this is concerning Toriko in the title.

Um. . .no, I never said it was referring to diameter, it was referring to surface-area. The ratio of diameter to our own Earth's would be the square-root of 659, or about 25.671 times the Earth's diameter, putting the planet's diameter at about 327,100km, and thus its circumference at 1,027,614km. This is of course an idealized calculation assuming a spherical Earth and spherical Toriko-Earth. . .actual planets are, of course, ellipsoidal, not spherical.

I'm not as sure as before that we should go with the larger figure, now that I've been reminded of the time the smaller figure was also clearly stated in the Pair Arc. But even so, the newest/most-up-to-date statement is the one that Jiji made about the surface-area. Hmmmmm......

This makes a huge difference though. I did a lowball calc of God's through-the-planet-tongue-barrage against Acacia/Neo in last week's chapter, and the two different sizes of the planet give figures of either 2.3 or 10.6 times lightspeed as lowball estimates. . . .that's a huge difference, almost a factor of five!

I agree with Alakabamm. You are starting to seem argumentative and bothersome.

Antvasima said:
I agree with Alakabamm. You are starting to seem argumentative and bothersome.
I'm sorry about that. After the last point you made in my thread on the topic, I've realized that we cannot yet go with the 659-times figure until we have more info, so I've decided to do as you ask and drop the issue and accept 220,000km as the figure for the planet's circumference for the purpose of calcs. Unless the author DEFINITIVELY retcons it in the future, of course.

Sorry if it made it seem like I was "stuck" on the 659 times figure. I just really wanted to make sure that we were using the proper size for the planet in calcs, and wasn't sure what had already been debated in that regard since I don't follow this forum 24/7.

Anyway, this 220,000km figure means that the lowball-estimate calc I get for the speed of GOD's tongue is 2.3 times lightspeed. Still very impressive considering I had him as attacking ten times per second in the calc. More likely it was something like ten times in a tenth of a second (considering that the attacks left afterimages to the piont they looked simultaneous), so the speed was probably around 23 times lightspeed in actuality.

P.S. You guys are always convincing me to drop/realize various illusions and inaccurate impressions I have about stuff in fictional series (FTL speed in Toriko, Hypersonic Speed in Berserk, and more) and I actually really appreciate that, thanks for showing me when I am incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back