• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Conceptual Manipulation that isn’t Conceptual Manipulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay why are Maxwell and a bunch of Touhou characters (most notably Junko) and faaaar more given conceptual manipulation?
Now I know you might answer with “well they are changing the abstract, formalised nature of something, changing the physical itself in the process and ergo falling under the definition of type 3, 2 or 1 concepts“ and to that I say **** you. Concepts are fundamentally defined by a relation to realms of thought, at their core they are ideas (as in basically any dictionary you find will state them to be something along the lines of “an abstract idea”. More complex analyses of the word philosophically, most notably the Stanford dictionary of philosophy here [https://plato.stanford.edu/], are all based around the logic of them being the root of understanding, imaging and such related- even stating that the most important nature of the conversation concerns their relationship to the mind, be them two separate objects at all- or be them a phenomena definitionally not categorised as object). Why is this relevant you ask? Well it’s because none of these characters edit things inherent to the functioning cognition and so it begs the question as to why these feats aren’t described as Information Manipulation which is generally a power used when talking about the editing of some formalised iteration of a physical object through spontaneous logical operators within it (take funny JoJo author avatar man, for instance). I mean, isn’t semantics or the general addition of adverbs as much of a formalism as the contents of a manuscript?

Look I’m tired and irate, debate me or something now.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Mmm... perhaps the OP should be restructured accordingly if that's the case.
Conceptual and Abstract stuff often intersects, but misuse of this is to be expected as well, so I'll remain neutral for now.

Just looking at this, it seems more like just miscategorized powers.

What Maxwell has is actually Text Manipulation, and what Pink Panther has is, uhh, I actually don't know. The explanation for his concept manip is unintelligible to me; what does "Can manipulate an objects purpose into doing something else" even mean? He changed a size shrink medicine into a size growth one by flipping an arrow? Just sounds like Toon Force.

Well yeah, my point is that they are miscategorised powers.

Well, I guess Maxwell should have text manipulation instead of information manipulation (so would Touhou characters if you interpret it literally) but still

I don't really understand what the OPs saying, but characters who have concept manip for feats that aren't concept manip shouldn't have concept manip.

I agree with OppaiSenpai here.

I think all that's needed are CRTs for the relevant characters.

I mean to be fair this was just a fun and games shitpost about an unofficial status quo when it comes to indexing characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back